Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS settings to clock 2000 on evga P55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS settings to clock 2000 on evga P55?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Retail

EVGA P55 (labeled as SLI on the box. on their site it is known as plain "P55") - No overclocking (intel i7 - 860)
    GPU: EVGA GTX 260

Windows 7 pro

My issue is that I am trying to solve a problem that seems unrelated to the RAM (sudden high CPU temps).

The issue first started when I pulled this ram out to test another machine. I had never changed any bios settings for the RAM.

The issue seemed to be resolved again after I totally reset CMOS/Bios.

Then, I went back and tried to change my settings, enabling XMP to try to get this ram to run at 2000. Issue returned, and I had to reset the CMOS again.

Some details of the symptom - my system idled fine at 38, up to 55 at load, till I pulled this ram to test another machine, then brought it back. After that, it would idle between 60 and 72, at load going up to 90. After the first CMOS reset, I was back to somewhat normal, idling 47-51 and loading up to 66. After the 2nd round and reset, it seems to be performing better than ever, at pure default settings (and I attribute this to the AS-5 thermal compound I applied while troubleshooting the high temps).

So my question considering all of these factors is what settings should I use on this bios to ensure the memory will work at full specification. I am operating under the idea that I would not be experiencing any of these issues if I were to have the proper configuration on the RAM, simply because of the way the issue has appeared solely in connection to RAM settings/resets. Right now the bios simply has default auto settings, running the ram at 1333.
    Last edited by i4nc4mp; 10-30-2009, 05:38 PM.

You may have to OC the CPU a bit and give it a little more juice, at stock speeds the CPU is having to work harder to support the RAM. You didn't list your specific model, but with these being fairly new mobos, you might check for a BIOS update, might also check and ensure your PSU has the right CPU connector

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, I have up to date bios and the proper PSU connections. I don't think I can OC it without more cooling. I am hoping to confirm the exact best settings for this memory in order to help in my pursuit of the ultimate cause of the bad temperatures. Does anyone know what settings are best to get running at 2000 with this memory? Or could it be the mere fact that this is high performance RAM that my CPU has to work very hard and is directly causing the worse temperatures that I would expect at stock clock/cooling?

Comment

I obtained the following settings from a user on EVGA forums:
        Memory Make: G.Skill
        Model: Ripjaws
        Part Number: F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH
        Capacity: 8GB (Two kits of 2x2GB)
        BIOS Voltage Setting: 1.65V
        XMP Profile Setting: Off
        Clock: 2000MHz (Running at 1910MHz @ 2:10)
        Memory Timings: 9-9-9-27
        Command Rate: 1T

Would this be best? I am going to test this again tonight and see if that works for me without the temp death. I have read that users are running a slower timing version (same item code by CL7D and it is 7-7-7) at 1600, so I am going to try 1600 because manu says that CPU oc is needed to get above that.
        Last edited by i4nc4mp; 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Change BCLK to 167. Memory Frequency to DDR3-2004. Memory Voltage 1.65V. Memory timings 9-9-9-27, and everything should run smoothly.

You can try 1600 with 7-7-7-24, but 2000 is much faster especially with the 860 processor. Simply set memory frequency to DDR3-1600 and it should be able to operate since you have the 12X memory multiplier.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks! Oddly, my bios did not seem to have the option for BCLK or to go as high as 2000. So I put it on 1600, 7-7-7-24, 1.65v and i am actually seeing better temps at load than with the default settings (where I assumed it was running at 1333). I am now trying to apply a bios update and will report back with results at 2000

Comment

I could get it to point at 2000 by putting XMP on, then it referenced Target Frequency 2000, but that caused CPU to go to a higher target and my temps shot up to 75 in the bios health monitor, so I just fell back to 1600, will wait for my CPU cooler to get here then try again.

Comment

With XMP, it probably kept the CPU multipler at 21X, thus jumping CPU Frequency to 3.5GHz. Use the same memory settings, but lower the CPU multiplier to stock frequency and temps should stay low.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

No dice - I saw how it was clocking it up to 166x18 (about 2900), and managed to change it back to 133x21 stock setting, but still I got temps that climbed to 90s while booting. So I am just dropping back to the 1600 till the cooler comes in, will also report back if I am able to run at stock clock with 2000 speed with the cooler. I am also working with support on EVGA forum to determine if it might be something that is being aggravated by the MB or if it is just too much memory clock for this proc to handle at stock speed/cooler

Comment

thermaltake silent cooler allowed me to boot with stable temps, stock clock and memory clocked to 2000 ratings. running at 39 idle, 64-73 on a blend prime95 stress test. now to buy another pair of this ram and see how we do

Comment

Maybe the cooler wasn't installed correctly, not locked in or something. Memory speed does not affect CPU temps. Glad to hear temps are down now though and everything works fine.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I was told over at evga support that the memory controller is in the i7 CPU so ram clock will directly affect temp & CPU stress. My heat issues only aggravated at higher ram clocking, while ensuring the cpu was not overclocking by mistake.

Comment

That is correct, but should not be able to overheat the processor 90C+ simply because of DDR3-2000.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Aha, excellent! Do you feel my CPU might be faulty due to this highly irregular behavior when attempting to run ddr3-2000? I am certain the RAM has nothing wrong with it at this point.

Comment

Hard to say, like I said if you don't have the fan cooler clipped on right or such, it can cause the heat to jump that high. Did you try entering the settings in manually? If XMP jumps the CPU speed to 3.5, stock cooler won't work, so it is possible that's what happened which is why you were at 90C+.

What I'm saying is at stock CPU frequency and DDR3-2000, temps should be normal.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X