Memory Test ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Test ?

I built a PC (PC#1) & used G.Skill DDR3 4GB (2GBx2) RAM. Every week or two it would have an unexpected shutdown or BSOD so I did a RAM memtest. Turns out if both modules were used there would be errors & it didn’t matter which stick was in which slot (only 2 slots). However either single module worked in either slot.

My other PC (PC#2) happens to use the same spec Micron RAM so I swapped RAM thinking maybe it’s just a compatibility issue with the PC#1. The G.Skill RAM works in PC#2 and there were no memtest errors no matter which stick was in which slot. And the Micron RAM that was swapped into PC#1 also worked. So I left them that way.

IOW I swapped RAM between two PCs and problem was solved.

Now I installed a video card into PC#2 which has the G.Skill RAM & am getting the BSOD every few days & sometimes several times a day. Did a memtest and one module has quite a few errors. I put the original Micron RAM back into PC#2 and everything is fine.

Why did the G.Skill RAM show errors in PC#1 when both sticks were used, yet no errors with just one stick? And no errors in PC#2 before the video card was installed? IOW if it’s bad shouldn’t it be bad no matter what?

And why does the one module now show errors after the video card was installed? I can't believe the video card caused the RAM module to fail.

IOW since this was a memory test not a system test shouldn’t the RAM show errors no matter which PC it’s in? And whether there is a video card or not?

Yes, that is very strange. What model is the RAM , motherboard, and CPU?

Comment

The RAM is F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS and was originally used in PC#1 which has an ECS #H61H2-M2 V1.0 mobo and Intel Pentium G620 CPU.

PC#2 is an HP p6710f with a Foxconn mobo. The board is labeled "H-ALVORIX -RS880-uATX 1.00". However it shows up as a Foxconn 2AB1 mobo per several diagnostic programs. The CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 640.

Currently the HP PC (PC#2) is back to using the original 4GB (2GBx2) of Micron RAM.
      And PC#1 is running on a single 2GB module of the G.Skill RAM.

I plan on ordering another set of F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS which will give me something to use so that I can RMA the original G.Skill RAM. After I get the replacement RAM all 8GB of G.Skill will go into the HP PC (PC#2) which is my main PC.

Comment

Working...
      X