Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Freeze in Hyper-V Server 2012 - F3012800CL10D-16GBXL

Hi there

I didn't really have time to do my build right away (I bought the ram November 17).

I now discovered why my Hyper-V 2012 server freezes. I bought 2 kits of F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL for a total of 32GB.

One kit works fine and Hyper-V never freezes. The other kit, Hyper-V freezes withing a few minutes of booting up.

Is this something that can be adjusted to fix this or is something wrong with the RAM and should be RMA'd?

Thank you

What hardware are you using?

If you use just one kit at a time does it freeze at all?

How much ram do you have assigned to the VM in Hyper-V?

Comment

This was before I even set up any VM. I just installed Hyper V Server 2012.

One set of 16 doesn't have any hanging problems. The other set when put it in (by itself in the same slots) has hanging problems. Within 5 mins of start up, the system is unresponsive.

I'm running it in a system with:
      AMD FX-8350
      Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

Comment

Originally posted by ynohtna View Post
        This was before I even set up any VM. I just installed Hyper V Server 2012.

One set of 16 doesn't have any hanging problems. The other set when put it in (by itself in the same slots) has hanging problems. Within 5 mins of start up, the system is unresponsive.

I'm running it in a system with:
        AMD FX-8350
        Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
        Odd.

I would increase CPU/NB to 1.25V. Sounds like something is a miss with one of the kits and I would RMA it if the voltage increase doesnt fix it. You should only need 1.225+ voltage for more ram or higher speed ram. It should have no issues running 16GB 1600 CL10 at 1.18-1.25 CPU/NB.

Comment

Ok thanks I'll give it a try and see. I'm not even looking to overclock this guy.

Comment

In my bios there is NB Voltage which I set to 1.25V (auto is 1.1V)

CPU vcore shows 1.4V already.

I also see a NB vcore setting which is at 1.165V or something like that. There's also a big warning that core damage could occur if I overclock this value. So I didn't touch that one since I'm not sure it's a good idea.

With the NB Voltage set 1.25V, I still get the same issue of hanging shortly after boot up. Should I touch the NB vcore as well?

Each time I see it boot up, log in for good measure, goto my client to manage the server and nothing is connectable, go back to the server and it's hung.

Comment

In my bios there is NB Voltage which I set to 1.25V (auto is 1.1V)

CPU vcore shows 1.4V already.

I also see a NB vcore setting which is at 1.165V or something like that. There's also a big warning that core damage could occur if I overclock this value. So I didn't touch that one since I'm not sure it's a good idea.

With the NB Voltage set 1.25V, I still get the same issue of hanging shortly after boot up. Should I touch the NB vcore as well?

Each time I see it boot up, log in for good measure, goto my client to manage the server and nothing is connectable, go back to the server and it's hung.

I believe you have the Revision 3 UD3 then as it was the first with UEFI and they changed some of their naming schemes. They switched from CPU/NB to calling it NB Core and that is the voltage you will want to increase to 1.225-1.25V. The rest you dont have to touch and if you have you can set them back to their stock settings but dont leave them on auto. On NB core voltage you are fine until 1.30 Volts but that should not be needed.

There is a NB or Northbridge voltage and their is CPU/NB which is the voltage to the CPU's IMC(memory controller) that is the voltage you want to touch. Typically on Gigabyte AMD boards the default is at 1.18V or close to it.

Comment

Yes I do have the revision 3 of the UD3. Bought everything new in November.

So now I even bought a new power supply since I was using a fairly old one

I put up the voltage and initially I got a couple rounds of memory dump crashes. Afterwards the system stays up for a few minutes longer than before however still hangs.

It's not looking too good for this batch of RAM I guess. I wonder what specifically makes it look ok to boot up but eventually hangs the server.

Thanks Priller for helping me troubleshoot. I see the sticky thread about AMD CPU and DDR3-1600... First post says phenom back in 2011 but is it all CPU?

Also about the auto settings, I don't set that. Everything is already auto with values next to it.

It's normal that the motherboard doesn't know how to properly set up the needs for a cpu and ram?
                Last edited by ynohtna; 12-29-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

There's a lot of settings playing in that first post. I dunno... It would be nice that the ram chips just work at normal/default settings like the other kit I have.

I do have a black edition cpu but I'm not really interested in overclocking it as all I'm using is the stock heat sink and fan. Most importantly, I want this system to be stable.

Comment

Do I need someone from GSKILL here to say go ahead with RMA?

Comment

Do I need someone from GSKILL here to say go ahead with RMA?
                      If one set of the exact ram in another kit works but the other one doesn't then I would RMA it.

Just go to the main G. Skill homepage and find the RMA link. Its very simple and easy to do.

Here is the link:
                      http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

The best way to ship it is in the original packaging and in a bubble padded envelop.

Comment

Thanks for your help Priller

Have a Happy New Year!

Comment

Thanks for your help Priller

Have a Happy New Year!
                          No worries.

Happy New Year.

Comment

Working...
                          X