16GB kit for Asus MA599X + AMD 955 BE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16GB kit for Asus MA599X + AMD 955 BE

Been having increasing system instability with the F3-12899CL9D-8GBRL kit. Kernel dumps have been pointing to RAM issues but previously the kit was passing all memtest runs. That is until this weekend, when system refused to boot after a BSOD.

After putting 1 stick in at a time, and pressing the "MemOK!" button, found 1 stick would boot: set to 1333 MHz with 9-9-9-24-1N timings. (Changed that to 2N) And system has been running stably since Monday. The other stick...? No joy, DRAM LED just keeps blinking at boot even after pressing the "MemOK!" button: motherboard tries to find compatible settings that will allow boot.

Point is... I see myself filing a RMA in the immediate future... but can't afford any downtime. SO... I looking at getting an replacement kit installed and then send in the RMA.

Don't see much point in getting a second 8GB kit, so thinking about an 16GB kit that would work in a future motherboard (been looking at getting an Intel Z87 down the road.)

Checked G.Skill's QVL and noticed the low latency Trident X series (just a few $ more than Ripjaws X or Ripjaws Z).

QVL says Trident X 1600 MHz is compatible with this motherboard, but wondering if anyone has any experience with this combo or what initial settings to try (other than unclocking to 1333 MHz)

Possibly a good idea to get Trident X kit with higher MHz and just underclocking for now...? leaving open future Z97 or Z87 possiblities?

BTW, my priority is rock-solid 24/7 year-round stability, minimal interest in overclocking.

NOTE: have previously been running the kit under "Optimized" settings and experiencing periodic BSODs. Finally discovered the Sticky about Phenom II CPUs & 1600 MHz DDR3. So, tried setting timings manually and set kit to 16000 MHz as per sticky and finally to 1333 MHz... got much more stable for a couple of weeks...
    Last edited by jelson; 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM. Reason: corrected motherboard name

Any Trident X series kit will be perfect for future Z87/97 build, so get any one, manually set it to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V and it should work flawlessly in your current system.

Let us know if you have any questions or issues.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
      X