Which RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which RAM

Now I am off over seas shortly and when I get back I am going to have a go at OC on the Ivy Bridge (Asus P8Z77-V board i5 3570K) ) at present I have G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH @ 1866 running but am thinking of upping to 16GB as I am also loading more graphical stuff and I am no real sure if I will get any advantage form the extra RAM ( a pair).

Next I want to do another and more powerful build with an ASUS P8Z77-V-PRO Thunderbolt Motherboard with an Intel Core i7 3770K but am unsure what RAM I shall need for this I was looking at G.Skill Trident X F3-2600C10Q-16GTXD 16GB or G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10Q-16GZH 16GB I sought of like the latter not only because of price but colour the red sticks are on offer the moment for $419 to $229.
    What I am wondering is are the Tridents better in some way than the Rip Jaws?

I am not really a great gamer or very heavy user I just felt like using some of my hard earned superannuation in my retirement to do something really outrageous before I get past doing anything at all.

I have to admit too I am just addicted to building but if Tradesman reckons it is way too overkill then I'll be guided by whatever he says as his advice for my current build has worked out perfectly - I just want that board and CPU as the base.
    ?The difference between genius and stupidity is - genius has its limits"

On the 3570K, you mention a go at OCing, are you OCing yet at all? The 3570K is a good one to OC (typical 4.6 -4.7 for most and up to 5 for many....on DRAM for that = going to 16GB, I'd suggest 2x8GB and should be able to run either 2400 (may depend on your individual CPU, most 3570Ks can carry 16GB of 2400 and some can carry 32GB), currently my first choice is the Tridents F3-2400C10D-16GTX, which at CL10 should easily run 2133/9 if you would need to drop to 2133 and are currently $10 less than the 2133/CL9 set of the same model (2400/CL10 is $155 and 2133/CL9 are $165) or go with the 2133/CL9 Ripjaws X F3-2133C9D-16GXH (same price as the 2400 Tridents $155).

As far as benefits from 16GB, you mention graphical, but don't elaborate, if you are thinking photos, imagesm, video, etc then most definately, but regardless, sounds like you are looking into retiring (and I don't mean getting ready for bed though maybe that too )but if so, you may become a heavier user so the extra DRAM will definately come in handy and there a different ways to utilize it, i.e if into video or images can put some of your DRAM into a RAMDisk and pop the images, etc onto it so you have instantaneous data available rather than waiting on reads and writes from a hard drive when editing.

On the 3770K the Tridents are a good choice, higher freq and geared more to the higher end 3770K (and for higher end DRAM and Ivy Bridge, I'm going more and more with Tridents than other models I've gone to 32GB of the 2400 Tridents in my Z77 and have moved my 32GB of 2133 Ripjaws to my P67 2500K......The 3770K should love the 2600 sticks :0. Hope I covered your questions, if you have more, pop them up....building and tinkering can be very addictive....so if you are retiring you'll have more time to play and experiment

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks mate always good to hear what you have to say. Yep am getting into some graphic type editing and maybe some video as I now have a small video camera.

Now I haven't even got round to the OC bit yet as I like to research up on it a bit but basically I was aiming at having more gas in the tank than I needed as in the past I have skimped and regretted it so I don't mind the overkill.
      The board I got now seems to not be able to use the 2400 and every time I have tried it it defaults to 1333 and I just use 1866 which it seems t be ok with thats why with the new build I was looking at some board that will accommodate whatever I throw at it.

So I m fairy happy with what the current set up does and was just wondering if I should OC is that 8GB going to be enough - sorry I really don't know much about how it works with that stuff.

The new build I shall cross that bridge when I get to it just as long as I know that you reckon what I picked out was going to be the go. Obviously it is a lot of money and that is about as far as I could go as I ma probably looking at $3K with all of what I have in mid.

anyway thanks for the info at least I have some reference start points ow and when I do get to it I'll be back..Regards
      John
      ?The difference between genius and stupidity is - genius has its limits"

Comment

Will be looking for you, I'm sure we'll be able o work it out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X