X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ram work with older ram?

Motherboard - Asus P6T - Deluxe
    CPU - i7-920
    Memory - 6 gig (3-2 gig sticks) G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ triple channel kit with XMP settings enabled
    OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

I am wanting to upgrade my memory to 12 gigs by buying another triple channel kit but I cannot find the above memory anymore. The closest I can find is the F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6 gig kit. Would they work with the older memory or do I have to buy the Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T2-12GBNQ 12-gig kit and toss the older sticks?

Asus P6T owners know well how finicky those MBs are with ram and it took me a while to install the current memory in the correct order so I could get the full 6 gigs in bios.

Thanks,

Any time you mix sets (with most any mobo) it can be problematic, Asus mobos can the X%* can be even more-so. Best bet would be a straight 12GB set, that way XMP should work and it would be easier. Buying another set, there's no guarantee the two will play nice together (you'll have to set up the advanced timings and the voltages manually (XMP only works by the packaged set)....SO can go either way, if you purchase the sticks locally and they are returnable, you could try adding the second set (and we'll be here to help) or just go with the 12 GB set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok thanks. Looks like I'll have to order the 12 gig set and sell the old 6 gig set.

Comment

Let us know what you decide on and how you like 'em

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X