PC17000 kits on X58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC17000 kits on X58

Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading from 3*2 GB PC12800 C8 Pi to a 2*4 GB PC17000 kit (Ripjaws X CAS9, Ripjaws X CAS 11 or ARES CAS9) on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (the idea behind this being that i'll use the kit when i transition to Haswell). However, I see that no X58-based motherboards are officially supported by G.Skill for these kits. Does this mean that the kits are 100% sure not to run on a X58 based MB or just because they might not run at officially rated speeds ? I'm ok with running the kit at a lower speed than rated (and losing triple channel) but obviously not with the kit not functioning at all

Thanks in advance

Pros and Cons here: the set will run with the X58 mobo fine is is rated for the higher freq than you currently have 2133 vs 1600 however in your current mobo which is a tri-channel, with only two sticks you'll be limited to running the DRAM in dual channel mode

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by grozaide View Post
      Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading from 3*2 GB PC12800 C8 Pi to a 2*4 GB PC17000 kit (Ripjaws X CAS9, Ripjaws X CAS 11 or ARES CAS9) on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (the idea behind this being that i'll use the kit when i transition to Haswell). However, I see that no X58-based motherboards are officially supported by G.Skill for these kits. Does this mean that the kits are 100% sure not to run on a X58 based MB or just because they might not run at officially rated speeds ? I'm ok with running the kit at a lower speed than rated (and losing triple channel) but obviously not with the kit not functioning at all

Thanks in advance
      this will work 100%, but if you want them to work "as rated", you will have to overclock.

Comment

Thanks for both of your answers I am aware i would be losing triple channel and my MB is said to support 2100+ memory. I do overclock as well (i7 920 @ 3,8 GHz, trying for 4,2 since for some reason i cant get 4 GHz in bios anymore), so as long as the kit works i'm fine

How come are the kits not advertised to run on X58 though ? I guess the company figures that it wouldn't be worth the hassle testing the kits on these MBs since so few people will use them on these boards ?

Comment

Primarily the DRAM makers will look to test towards tri channel kits for X58 and the primary testing will be with what's available. The X58 predates the Ripjaws X line which was initially aimed at the 1155 and Sandy Bridge CPUs. On the mobo side same sort of applies other than the mobo manufactures will test with whatever they have available (and at mobo defaults (1333 generally with X58), see my info thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

very interesting, thank you

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X