3930K and 64Gb - not a happy couple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3930K and 64Gb - not a happy couple?

Last June I built a system because I wanted a killer system to use while trading. I use multiple charts, multiple programs plus the usual suspects (browser, excel, etc.) The specs are below.

I had BSOD's from the start. I RMA'd the Video cards twice, the motherboard once and the memory once. I haven't had any BSOD's since replacing the memory in January BUT Windows 7 Pro reports slowness and will switch off the Aero theme due to insufficient memory. Auuggghhhh!!!!

Did I buy the wrong CPU? I read on this forum (Tradesman replied to someone) that the majority of 3930K cpu's have a hard time handling 64Gb of DDR3-2133. I thought I did my homework but before I waste the $500+ I spent on the 3930K I want to make sure that getting a 3960K or 3970K will handle it.

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
    Intel 3930K CPU
    GSkill F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD DDR3 2133 RAM
    (2) Sapphire RADEON HD 7870 GHz OC Edition 2GB DDR5 Graphics Cards (I use 6 27-inch monitors)
    Corsair 256Gb SSD
    Corsair Gold 1200 W Power Supply
    Windows 7 Professional

BIOS and Drivers are latest and greatest as well as all patches and updates on software.

Any help is appreciated.

PS - In order to prove there was a problem with my original 64GB, I bought a 16GB set of GSkill memory that was on the ASUS compatible list (as is my 64GB kit). So I can always fall back to that but then I'm wasting $800+ on the 64GB. Plus, I'm reluctant to shell out the $1,100 for a CPU unless it will make the memory issues disappear.
    ASUS P9X79 Deluxe - Intel i7-3930K - GSkill 64GB DDR3-2133 - Dual Sapphire HD 7870 Ghz OC Edition

Not sure what you mean by reports it as slow. Also if you could explain what happens when Aero shuts down. How much shared memory do the video cards use. Am sort of wondering if it's possible that it's not a lack of actual DRAM that might be causing the Aero problem, but may be a lack of memory from your page file (hoping it's on a conventional drive, opposed to your SSD, as you get a ton of writes to the page file, which is the bane of SSDs)...regardless might want to check the size (Control Panel - System - Advanced - Settings - Advanced - virtual Memory) can either just make it bigger..or..make it 0, then boot, go back and then make it a larger size to ensure it was cleaned out and there's nothing 'stuck' in there taking up room.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That's not CPU problem.
      I own the same motherboard and the same CPU and G.Skill RAM (8*4GB, i.e. 32GB). I had some problems with 8 stick's, but all solved at the moment.
      You can see what problem went your PC to BSOD on Computer Management > Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative Events. That order is on Windows 8, i think the same is on Windows 7.
      It may be SSD problem, if SSD is boot drive and system is overclocked. If system is on stock settings - all OK with SSD as boot drive (i own OCZ Vector 256GB as boot drive on Windows 8 Pro).
      G.Skill RAM and ASUS motherboard - here is the problem, if problem is in RAM. Try use only four 8GB sticks in slots A1, B1, C1 and D1. Make memory test when system boots to OS.
      GPU drivers / settings / application profiles - here is the problem, if problem is in GPU.
      P.S.
      Sorry for my english - it's one of five languages i use and this one is not best one for me :-).
      Last edited by Wojszwillo; 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

Tradesman: I am attaching a screen shot of the notification of slowness. If I'm lucky (?) like I just was (the balloon popped up as I was writing this) I might get the Aero message.

My SSD is my boot (and right now my only) drive. Either ASUS or GSkill told me to completely erase the SSD and reinstall Windows. I did. The nightmare continues.

I also have a WD Black 2TB drive that I completely erased and installed Windows. The problems didn't go away.

That's 2 days of my life I won't get back. That's also when I ordered the 16GB set of GSkill and the problems went away. GSkill RMA'd the 64Gb.

Everything seemed OK until the other day (I think it was after I left the first post) when I was shutting down and it BSOD'd on me again. It's been flaky ever since.

I've set the paging file to 0 and still getting the slow message.

Woj: I will try only 4 of the sticks as you suggest.

Thanks again for your help.
        Attached Files
        ASUS P9X79 Deluxe - Intel i7-3930K - GSkill 64GB DDR3-2133 - Dual Sapphire HD 7870 Ghz OC Edition

Comment

Forgot to add the best part...

The only thing running on my system is the Chrome Browser.

The Aero just shut down after pulling 4 memory modules.

Comment

The error message in the Window is generally having to do with the Aero interface but generally is caused by a buggy video driver or a video card hitting 100%, running VM's (i.e. I've encountered similar when running BMs on Win8 while I have it running in a VM) or playing/watching video files on an other than primary display (VLC player is very adept at causing this on a secondary or tertiary (or higher monitor). Think what I'd do, is start by making sure you have the latest BIOS, then since you already have Win reloaded, is make make sure you are running it under AHCI mode, go ahead and add the WD Black as a secondary drive, then set up a decent page file on the WD (50GB or more), redirect all browser caches (as well as the caches from any other programs you use that have them) to the WD, redirect temp files to it, set up your data directories on it, etc. Turn indexing off on the SSD (basically get it set up right). Once all that is done, then go into BIOS enable XMP and select 2133. Nexy manually change the 2133 to 1866, change the base timings to 10-10-10-31, check VCCSA voltage and for the moment bump it to 1.23 - 1.25, check the VTT (MC (memory controller)) voltage, initially about 1.2 on that and give things a whirl.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman,

It certainly seems to be logical to be somewhere in one of the Video cards.

I wasn't doing anything in Chrome other than running GMail. No videos while I was messing with things. I have all the latest BIOS and drivers from ASUS. I've been to Sapphire's site and I'll check again but I'm pretty sure the cards are both up to the same Rev's.

I haven't Overclocked the Video Cards although I have their TRIXX utility and could do it.

One other thing I've tried is connecting the 2 video cards with the Crossfire cable. I don't think it made any difference.

I've also thought about pulling the Video card in the primary slot and moving the secondary card there, running it by itself and see if I get any issues.

Thanks again.

Comment

All good troubleshooting approaches, might also check for beta drivers, GURU3D.COM is a good place to check, or the AMD site itself (guru normally has the latest and the download speeds are generally a little quicker than say AMD or Sapphire

Tman

Comment

Latest WHQL (with Hydravision too):
                  http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373737
                  Latest not buggy beta:
                  http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375494
                  Latest applications profiles:
                  http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371842
                  Cards must be connected via Crossfire before any AMD Catalyst instalations.
                  I think, that You have multiGPU - multiDisplay's problems.
                  You can remove one of 2 GPU, use only one monitor and install drivers again.
                  If system with one GPU will work - you will know exactly where problem is.
                  Last edited by Wojszwillo; 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Tradesman & Woj,

A BIG Thank You for sending me to guru3d! I loaded the Beta 13.3 drivers and have been running Chrome all morning with no issues! (I hope I'm not celebrating too early...)

I've still only got 4 memory sticks in (32GB) but I'm going to leave it as is and keep testing. I'll be running several charting programs later so we'll see how it works under a more typical load.

I'll come back and update this thread tonight (PT) and if all goes well I'll go back to 64GB...

Thanks again!!!

Comment

I'll be in and out most of the day and evening, so I'll catch you later Hope all stays good!

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by b4youleap View Post
                        Tradesman & Woj,

A BIG Thank You for sending me to guru3d! I loaded the Beta 13.3 drivers and have been running Chrome all morning with no issues! (I hope I'm not celebrating too early...)

I've still only got 4 memory sticks in (32GB) but I'm going to leave it as is and keep testing. I'll be running several charting programs later so we'll see how it works under a more typical load.

I'll come back and update this thread tonight (PT) and if all goes well I'll go back to 64GB...

Thanks again!!!
                        Beta 13.3 is buggy one - crashes almost all OpenGL applications.
                        Use 13.2 beta 7.
                        P.S.
                        Nice to hear about good things with your PC.

Comment

So far so good. Popped the other 4 sticks in about 5 hours ago (?) and it's running fine.

Chrome didn't like 13.2 Beta 7 so I won't go back to it. My main charting programs evidently don't use OpenGL as none have crashed but I'll be watching for odd behavior like that.

Thanks again for your help - you helped me avoid orphaning my 3930... although I have been wondering what to do with the 16GB GSkill set I bought. I might do a Media PC after all...

Comment

Glad it all worked out, if you ever tinker around and help friends with their systems, I'm sure you can find a home for the 16GB set, I know I alsways try and keep a variety around, comes in handy when people want upgrades and I often do freebie work for Seniors with older and just plain slow PCs

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X