Running my G.skill 2133 at 1.5v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running my G.skill 2133 at 1.5v

I have read many articles regarding intels 1.5v limit on rams to avoid frying it. But almost all DDR3 rams with more than 1333 frequency uses 1.65v including this rams which I use:

My G.skills rams: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20f3-17000cl9d

Almost all forums tells them to just lower their frequency to 1333 (which I hate doing) so that they can run their rams to 1.5v and tells them that you won't notice any difference between 1333 and 1600 frequency (which is true) unless you ran a benchmark. So I decided to do some experimenting with my rams

I've turned on XMP profile and manually setting the voltage to 1.5v, and to my suprise my rams are running at 2133 frequency with a voltage of 1.5v!

http://imageshack.us/f/829/aidacpu.png/

Have done memtest86+ (passed); prime95 for 6hours (passed); intel burn test for 3hours (passed) all these test with no errors whatsoever!

Thanks G.Skill! your rams are the best!!!

System specs:
    Maximus V Formula
    i5-3570k
    Gskill CL9 2133 (4gbx4)

What you've got is somewhat typcal, running at full freq with loose timings (10-11-10-30 vs spec 9-11-10-28) will generally require a little less voltage - what's of interest is that you apparently have one of the stronger 3570Ks as it appears you are running two sets of 2x4GB, so congrats! With your combo, no telling what you might be able to do - could prob run them up to 2400. As far as the 1.5 voltage, that's the base at stock CPU settings, if OCing the the CPU and increasing the vCore, then it's natural to use higher voltages to the DRAM and the MC (Memory controller). I've been using high end DRAM and OCing my systems and clients systems for as long as I can remember and never fried a CPU (knock on wood)...and to be honest, to a degree it's sort of surprising to me. It's amazing what the components can handle, and thankfully Intel has long understated the capabilities of their CPUs

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I agree, Intel's specifications are too conservative in my opinion

Comment

Most definately, I remember when the Q6600 came out and they said they 'might' be able to run at 3GHz (from the 2.4GHz base, I've still got a bunch of those out with clients, many of which are now sort of relegated to a more passive role, but are running at 4GHz and higher 24-7

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

@Tradesman

now I'm Planning to change my command rate from 2t to 1t to have a 2-3% boost. any recommendations on how to check it stability? thanks!

Comment

Could try a few (3-4) hours of running under Prime95

Tman

Comment

Done! stable for 5hours!

Comment

Looks like you've got it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

@tradesman

by the way, I just noticed now that the "tRC" has no values on it. I've read that tRC=tRP+tRAS. so will i just put 40 in the bios? or leave it be?

Comment

That was basically the old formula from DDR/DDRR2 can try it at 40, can prob run it lower, like most timings it's experimentation

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X