No announcement yet.

XMS enable on Store Bought Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMS enable on Store Bought Motherboard?

So, I have a store bought Asus CM6830-07 Desktop Computer. It has a ASUSteK Computer Inc Motherboard, Model CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830. I have an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7 3770 Processor. The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc Version 0507. I bought 2 sticks G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM Memory that, of course, is rated for 1600 Mhz but apparently only if I can enable the XMS profile, there in-lies the dilemma. I can see the XMS profile in the BIOS but there is no way that I can find to activate it or even do a manual clock and I am stuck on the JEDEC profile that is under-clocking the ram to 1333 Mhz.

So, question is, am I just stuck with under-clocked ram or is there something I am missing to get the BIOS to let me use the XMS profile? Do I need to try and download some short of update for the BIOS (although I am currently running the most current profile that is released from the manufacturer) and run the risk of bricking my entire computer with a Non-OEM BIOS, or jut live with it stuck at 1333Mhz?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JohnDoe183; 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM. Reason: Add Screenshot

Can you post your BIOS screens - with most newer mobos you can have system off, insert a USB drive, then power up, go into BIOS and hit the F12 key to capture the screen to the flash drive

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

These should be all the relative screens. I can find no where to click to enable the XMS profile.

Thanks for taking a look for me though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't look like they have an option for it, might want to contact them about it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So far ASUS support has been pretty useless. I figured I would post here once more to see if anyone has any ideas beyond this but probably I'm just stuck with under-clocked RAM unless I want to try and flash a Non-OEM BIOS to get the AI Tweaker option.

Thanks for any help provided.

---------- Incoming Message ----------

I appreciate the response but this is not a feasible solution. When I bought this computer I added a EVGA 660 GTX Video Card that the Factory BIOS would not recognize. The Best Buy Geek Squad researched the matter and determined they had to update the BIOS to the one currently installed just so the BIOS would recognize the graphics card installed and put the video through it. It would not serve me well to reset to the factory BIOS as I would once again have no video output. I'm not sure what good a OS Recovery would do as this is not a OS issue but instead is a BIOS problem.

Apparently, I am just stuck with under-clocked ram unless there is some other solution to get the AI Tweaker into my BIOS. I do not understand why the American Megatrends BIOS that was pulled from the ASUS website for this computer did not come with the AI Tweaker option.
          ---------- Original Message ----------
          Date:2013-03-18 09:20:49

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

Sorry for the delay since our weekends and my carelessness.
          Please clear CMOS and test again.
          Or you may consider to recover the OS for a further check.
          If the issue still persists, you may consider to contact your retailer for a further check.
          Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS
          http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not
          hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Fiona
          ASUS Product Support Team
          812-282-2787

DISCLAIMER - All statements, written, illustrated - graphics or any type of content/information present within these email(s) are considered "off the record"/confidential and not for publication. All information contained is direct privileged communication between the sender and recipient. This content cannot be posted, used, copied or replicated in any way without direct consent from the sender.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this message.
          Sent : 2013/3/15 22:43:13
          To : "tsd@asus.com.tw"
          Subject : Re:Re:Re:Re: Desktop PC CM6630_CM6730_CM6830 [ID=RWTM20130315543153876-610]
          [CASEID=WTM20130316643126229]
          ....*Sigh*...... I'm not sure what I didn't add in the first e-mail. The BIOS on this
          computer has no option anywhere that I have been able to locate on any screen I
          have looked at that says anything about a AI Tweaker. There is no option to manually
          or automatically enter the timing control for the ram. If need be I can send pictures to
          you of my BIOS if you let me know where I can upload them at. I have posted, in the
          first e-mail, my BIOS board, manufacturer, and what BIOS revision number I am
          running which is as follows:

ASUSteK Computer Inc Motherboard
          Model CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830.
          Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7 3770 Processor
          The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc
          Version 0507

The Ram is G.Skill Ram (F3-1600C9-8GXM) that is rated for 1600 Mhz but apparently
          it will only achieve that speed if you enable the XMS profile which is apparently
          impossible to do with the BIOS I am running that came with this computer. So, I am
          forced to be under-clocked at the speed of 1333 Mhz since the BIOS is defaulting to
          the JEDEC profile. Again, this PC came with 8 gigs of RAM that were running at 1600
          Mhz. All the documentation I have found tells me the board is capable of running at
          1600 Mhz and the RAM I purchased to max out the board (2 8 gig sticks to make it 16
          gigs total) are being under-clocked by the system. The issue has nothing to do with
          system instability at 1600 Mhz. The issue is I can't get the RAM to run at 1600 Mhz
          due to a limitation in the BIOS of not being able to do anything with a XMS profile.

I am not sure how much clearer I can be, I have been told twice now to go into AI
          Tweaker which I will stress for a third time, THIS BIOS DOES NOT HAVE A AI
          TWEAKER OPTION, unless it is hidden somewhere. I have been through every
          screen in the Advanced Mode of my BIOS, there aren't many, and see nothing about
          AI Tweaker.

Again this is a store bought computer from Best Buy. Is there some revision of the
          BIOS that is COMPATIBLE with my PC that I should be flashing that won't brick the
          motherboard so that I will have the AI Tweaker.

Thank you for your timely attention in this matter, I look forward to your next response
          that will hopefully finally resolve this matter.
          Date:2013-03-15 07:48:47

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Fiona and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Do you means your memory couldn't work under 1600 MHz? If yes, please enter
          BIOS to set.
          BIOS---Ai Tweaker---DRAM Timing Control.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS
          http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not
          hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Fiona
          ASUS Product Support Team
          812-282-2787

DISCLAIMER - All statements, written, illustrated - graphics or any type of
          content/information present within these email(s) are considered "off the
          record"/confidential and not for publication. All information contained is direct
          privileged communication between the sender and recipient. This content cannot be
          posted, used, copied or replicated in any way without direct consent from the sender.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this
          message.
          Sent : 2013/3/14 21:43:15
          Subject : Re:Re: Desktop PC CM6630_CM6730_CM6830
          [ID=RWTM20130314183159821-239]
          [CASEID=WTM20130315543153876]

Where would I get the AI Tweaker from. It is not a option in the current BIOS I am
          using that came with the computer. The motherboard came with 8 gigs of 1600 Mhz
          Ram installed so I have no clue how buying 16 gigs of 1600 Mhz Ram falls under
          over clocking. Apparently I am wasting my time going this route as you either don't
          know your own product or totally missed my initial question.

I will try and look into what other avenues I have to escalate this to someone who has
          a clue.
          Date:2013-03-14 16:56:15
          Dear Sir

We can't support that over-clocking on that motherboard. It not on our overclocking
          list for approve motherboards. I will point you in the right direction start in the AI
          tweeker then goto the XMP feature and set it to what ever Hhz you want it should auto
          setup. I hope this help.

Sent : 3/14/2013 10:32:00 AM
          Subject : Desktop PC CM6630_CM6730_CM6830
          [CASEID=WTM20130314183159821]
          Apply date : 2013/03/14 10:31:59(UTC Time)
          [Contact Information]

[Product Information]
          *Product Type : Desktop PC
          *Product Model : CM6630_CM6730_CM6830
          *Product S/N : C8PDCG000TZT
          Place of Purchase : Best Buy
          *Date of Purchase : 2013/02/24
          *Operating System : Windows 8 64bit

[Problem Description]
          So, I have a store bought Asus CM6830-07 Desktop Computer. It has a ASUSteK
          Computer Inc Motherboard, Model CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830. I have an
          Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7 3770 Processor. The BIOS is American Megatrends Inc
          Version 0507. I bought 2 sticks G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM Memory that, of course, is
          rated for 1600 Mhz but apparently only if I can enable the XMS profile, there in-lies the
          dilemma. I can see the XMS profile in the BIOS but there is no way that I can find to
          activate it or even do a manual clock and I am stuck on the JEDEC profile that is
          under-clocking the ram to 1333 Mhz.

So, question is, am I just stuck with under-clocked ram or is there something I am
          missing to get the BIOS to let me use the XMS profile? Do I need to try and download
          some short of update for the BIOS (although I am currently running the most current
          profile that is released from the manufacturer) and run the risk of bricking my entire
          computer with a Non-OEM BIOS, or jut live with it stuck at 1333Mhz?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Might ask them how to get a refund since their support tells you things are there that aren't .... welcome to the wonderful world of Asus support....in all sriousness, think I'd write back and demand to be connected with a supervisor, or ask for an email address for upper management since the 'tech support' folks appear lost. I've had luck with that approach

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X