F3-1600C8D-8GAB & Asus P8Z77-V LK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1600C8D-8GAB & Asus P8Z77-V LK

Let me first start off by stating that I apologize if this combo already had a thread, I tried to use the forum search function but it was down at the time of posting, and the first couple pages of the forums didn't have an identical RAM kit in the title.

I purchased this RAM back in mid September, and out of the box the build seemed fine. Ran stable, OC'd fine, the works. A few weeks in (albeit the gaming rig isn't used more than once or twice a week for a few hours at a time which may be why the problem wasn't noticed right away) I started getting BSODs. Not only would the comp crash, but the game files of the game I was playing would get corrupted over and over upon restarting the system (Borderlands 2, installed on a RAID 0 of SSDs). After parsing through the dump files, I noticed that the BSODs were usually an nVidia driver or a kernel .sys that was the problem. After reading up on possible causes of this issue, I tried to isolate the problem by disconnecting peripherals, swapping components between systems, and running stress tests on the CPU, RAM, SSDs, etc. I returned all settings to factory, updated BIOS and drivers, tried default and XMP timings, imaged the SSD RAID to a HDD, you name it.

I think I have finally isolated it to the RAM modules themselves. Running Memtest86+ build 4.20, I could successfully pass several hours of passes with zero errors, but only with dual channel disabled. Each individual module ran perfectly fine until enabling dual channel, and then they would throw 100k+ errors in seconds. Thinking this may be a problem with the mobo or its BIOS, I swapped known good RAM from another build and it worked perfectly. To be sure, I put the suspect modules in the build the good RAM came from, and it threw the exact same errors in Memtest as it did in the new rig, again only in dual channel mode.

I bought the kit as a dual channel matched pair, and it is quite odd that it doesn't function in dual channel at all when the individual DIMMS seem to work perfectly. RMA time?

Build Specs:
    Intel i5-3570K (currently stock 3.4GHz)
    Asus P8Z77-V LK
    BIOS Vers. 0403
    G.Skill Ares F3-1600C8D-8GAB
    2x OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5"
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W
    2x EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB
    Driver Vers. 306.97
    Win7 Pro x64 SP1

If the sticks test fine in single sticks testing it might be for the set the BIOS isn't setting them up correctly per the info on the SPD in the sticks, of course you can RMA and get a new set, but first you might try raising the CPUVTT (MC (memory controller)) voltage about + 0.04 and see if that helps or raising the DRAM voltage + 0.05......sounds like Minnesota or around there, so if the sticks are out of the return/exchange window with your re/e-tailer, guessing the Egg, then can contact GSkill at rma@gskillusa.com

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X