Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing RAM Capacity - GA-X79-UP4 and RipjawZ F3-1700CL9Q

Hi,

I decided to upgrade my computer and I've had some issues with the RAM.

Model of the motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4
    Model of the memory:RipjawsZ F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (4x4GB)
    Model of the CPU:Intel Core i7-39030K

The issue: BIOS and Windows are not recognizing the full amount of RAM.

Troubleshooting:
    1. I placed the DIMMs in slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 per the MOBO instructions. Both BIOS and Windows only recognize 8GB.
    2. To rule out bad RAM, I tried 2 sticks at a time in slots 1 and 3. All 4 RAM sticks are properly recognized in that configuration as 8GB. So, it looks good.
    3. To rule out a bad memory channel, I moved 2 sticks to slots 2 and 4, which again worked great and all 8GB was recognized.
    4. Finally, I tried a 3-stick configuration in slots 1, 2 and 3. In that case, only 4GB were recognized.

I have not yet overclocked, everything is stock and directly out of the box. Any thoughts?

-etavares
    Last edited by etavares; 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM. Reason: edit BBCode tag

Check that you have the latest BIOS...if not try updating that, if so would try raising the VCCSA to 1.2 as an initial check

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm on version F2 of BIOS. There is an F3, but it's in beta testing and doesn't appear to change anything with RAM.

I did up the VCCSA (IMC on a Gigabyte MOBO) to 1.200V. I only get 8GB of RAM still.

-etavares

Comment

Can you post your DRAM timings (base and advanced) along with the system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi,

I think this is what you're looking for. If I left something out, please let me know.

DRAM Timings:
          Standard:

CAS latency - 11
          tRCD - 11
          tRP - 13
          tRAS-28

Advanced:
          tRC - 39
          tRRD - 5
          tWTR - 6
          tWR - 12
          tWTP - 24
          tWL - 8
          tRFC - 128
          tREFI - 12
          tRTP - 6
          tFAW - 24
          tCMD - 1

Voltages:
          Vcore = set to 1.260 (but reading 1.224)
          DRAM Setting: 1.50
          DRAM A/B reading: 1.656
          DRAM C/D reading: 1.644
          VTT = 1.200
          CPU PLL 1.810
          IMC (aka VCCSA) 1.200

-etavares

Comment

Do you have XMP enabled? If so those are really way off (thus BIOS is way off). Should be 0-11-10-28 on DRAM, advanced should be around

DRAM Setting 1.65

tRRD - 6
            tWTR - 7
            tWR - 14
            tRFC - 208
            tRTP - 7
            tFAW - 25
            tCMD - 2

Give that a try - or if XMP not enabled, try with it enabled

Tman

Comment

Hi,

XMP was disabled by default. I turned it on and selected Profile 1. I left the voltage changes we made earlier. No change, it only detects 8GB.

I can try the manual settings, but I some are out of bounds. E.g., for CAS latency, I can select 5 as a minimum, I can't get to 0. Should I try the manual changes you suggested and just get as close as I can to them? Or since XMP didn't work, is there something else to look at?

-etavares

Comment

That was supposed to be 9 on the CAS Latency, sorry bout the typo

Tman

Comment

I made all the requested manual changes. It still only recognizes 8GB.

-etavares

Comment

Might check the CPU and socket for debris (thermal compound) and/or bent/broken pins. If you have or could borrow other sticks, could try that also

Tman

Comment

Will do. I got my new case today, so I moved everything over. I also was able to get my hands on 4x4GB of 2133 RAM as well. Same issue with the other sticks.

I'll pull off the CPU tomorrow and take a look.

-etavares

Comment

Hopefully that's it, otherwise trying to break it down to being the CPU or the mobo is tougher (though about 90-95% of the time it's NOT the CPU (which always seems to be when you find out it is the CPU - have had that happen a few times, basically replacing everything only to find it's the CPU)

Have an info thread in the Gen Discussions area on bench testing which might help you narrow things down - can be found here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11279

Tman

Comment

OK, this is embarassing. There was 1 bent pin in the LGA socket. I wasn't able to move it back into the field. I got another MOBO and it's properly reading 16GB. I'm kicking myself because I didn't look before I installed the CPU. It probably was me, but it may have arrived that way. Who knows? Never had that happen before.

Thanks for your help. You can mark this one as resolved.

Comment

Nothing to be embarassed about, this happens to folks all the time, I've even had mobos and AMD CPUs brought to me that the owners had 'examined' and missed bent or broken pins....and no telling when/where it happened, (during packaging, when the plastic cover was inserted, when package opened, when CPU inserted)....bottom line...it just happens

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X