Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThinkCentre m90z 5205A6U MJACVNY Vs. G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-16GBSQ Upgrade

Hello All!

I tried to use the forum search feature but became too annoyed by the image verification processes for every version of the search I could think of to answer my own question.

Here's what I have to start with:

◘ ThinkCentre m90z 5205A6U MJACVNY
    ◘ IntelĀ® Core i5-650 3.20G 1333MHz 4T\Dual core\4MB cache\73W\Turbo LGA 1156 (Gfx core speed 733MHz)

Architecture System board / Form factor
    ◘ Premium ThinkCentre Commercial AIO with Intel vPro technology System and Intel Q57 chipset
    ◘ Supports Intel Clarkdale 73W processor LGA 775 socket

◘ IntelĀ® Core i5-650 3.20G 1333MHz 4T\Dual core\4MB cache\73W\Turbo LGA 1156 (Gfx core speed 733MHz)

Memory Supported
    ◘ DDR3-1066
    ◘ DDR3-1333

Original Ram:

(2x) Ramaxel 2GB PC-3 108600S-999 HF RMT 3010EC58E8F-1333

Purchased:

(2x) G.SKILL F3-10600CL9D-16GBSQ
    DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24
    PC3-10600 8Gx2 SODIMM

What Happens:

BOOT AGENT GE v1.3.51
    Initializing and Establishing Link..........................._

Windows failed...
    Repair
    Normal

[select repair]

What happens:

Crazy screen

Reboots and starts all over. This happens if I use both new G.SKILL or just one. If I select normal Windows start it just hangs on Starting Windows.

Use one of these and it should be better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the reply- odd thing is it fits. I wish I could remember where I read that I could use a 204-pin instead of the 240-pin. Argggggggggggh! It's been a real challenge to find out what ram I can use. Should have come here first.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, can I go beyond 8GB? I'm finding conflicting information on that as well.

Comment

Well, I purchased this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
        • DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
        • Timing 9-9-9-24-2N
        • Cas Latency 9
        • Voltage 1.5V

Purchased for the great reviews and 5 eggs. Since I have two other ThinkCentres like this one, I'm really hoping that I can install more ram if possible for video work and After Effects.

Comment

Believe those max at 8GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I misspoke on the operating system, it's Windows 7 Professional 64.

Specs from Lenovo are:

Memory

Supports 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 4GB upto 10.0GB
            1066/1333MHz DDR3(Double Data Rate) dual channel memory support
            PC3-8500 (1066MHz) memory supported
            PC3-10600 (1333MHz) memory supported
            Two 240-pin SoDIMM DDR3 SoDIMM sockets

Unfortunately, another ram seller stated that the pin was 204. Don't know why.

In researching the Intel Core i5 3.20G 1333MHz 4T Dual Core with 4MB cache, I found this site that states:

Maximum Memory 16 GB
            Memory Supported DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333

From what I can gather, Windows 7 Pro x64 can support up to 16GB of ram. So I'm having trouble understanding why I can't go beyond 8 to 16?

Comment

The CPU and the OS can handle more, but the system specs state 10GB max so they apparently have set a limit in the BIOS for some reason (and to be honest 10GB doesn't make much of any sense)....I haven't worked on one these so I can't really provide much input other than their specs are really odd, they may be trying to lock folks in to buying upgrades through them like Compaq and Dell used to do all the time

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

G.SKILL: Look for another brand...

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                Use one of these and it should be better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH
                Hello,

I purchased one of the suggested products from your link. Are you friggin kidding me? These things are huge, and so obviously wrong that I'm done with G.SKILL. You could have a billion positive feedbacks, the time I've wasted on this makes all that mute.

For G.SKILL, this must just be another awkward moment.

For me, it's been the anxiety of waiting for my product to come in the mail, disappointment, aggravation over having to search for a solution on your forum after refreshing that stupid captcha till I could find one that I could make out, excitement over having a professional supply me an answer, anxiety of waiting for the new product to arrive, waiting in line at the post office to send back the first one, having this beast of a ram arrive and the disappointment of something worse than what I would have picked out for myself to begin with- spending time and more money to send this bad joke back for a refund.

Awesome. Now I get to fill in that stupid captcha one last time. Off to Newegg for another RMA.

I'm so pissed right now......................

Comment

One final jab in the ribs....................

Restocking Fee: -$6.90

Comment

I'm guessing, but imagine GSkill saw the same specs you listed as from Lenova

"Memory

Supports 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 4GB upto 10.0GB
                    1066/1333MHz DDR3(Double Data Rate) dual channel memory support
                    PC3-8500 (1066MHz) memory supported
                    PC3-10600 (1333MHz) memory supported
                    Two 240-pin SoDIMM DDR3 SoDIMM sockets"

and made his suggestion based on that, with the key being the '240' pin, which is what he suggested, from your comments on the size, sounds like Lenova actually takes the smaller 204 pin sticks (normally used in laptops and other hybrids). Had it been me, I'd have probably done the same...after seeing this post, I've looked around a little more and seen these things advertised both ways, (as using 240 Pin DIMMs and the 204 Pin Dimms, which are entirely different animals.

Tman

Comment

Mister Rogers,

Sorry about the confusion. If you would like, send the memory to us with and we can send you the correct model. That way you do not lose money to restocking fee.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Here is the correct model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...666CL9D-16GBSQ

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X