Ram causing my computer to run really slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram causing my computer to run really slow

I have an Asus Rampage II Extreme x58 motherboard with an Intel 965 extreme cpu. I was running 3 sticks of 12 gbs of gskill sniper DDR3 1600 ram and I added another 12 gbs for 24 gbs. The computer ran great for about a week then all the sudden my os started running really slow and cpu was running around 40 to 50% for no reason. I tried upping the volts to around 1.6 volts on ram and tried adjusting the timing from 9 9 9 24 to 10 10 10 28 2n with no change. I reset my bios to stock and that didn't help. I reinstalled the os to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit that i got through technet and that didn't change anything. What are the correct settings to set 6 sticks of ram too. I can't seem to find the right settings and why would my computer be running so slow with 24 gbs? I ran memtest on each set of ram and with all of them together and they all passed with no errors. Once I take the ram out the computer runs great on one set.

Any time you mix sets of DRAM it can be problematic, can you post your DRAM settings (basic and secondary/advanced along with your system voltages (will prob need to raise DRAM and MC voltage as well as possible adjust advanced timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

stock settings are 9 9 9 24 1.5 volts
      I have them running at 10 10 10 30 2n 1.6 volts
      I have qpi volts at 1.55 which seems high but that is what some other post I've seen said to do.
      I had cpu running stock at 3.2 ghz with 1.35 volts but at the moment its oc to 3.7 with 1.4 volts
      all my other ram settings are on default here are the settings that computer detects
      2n 58 59 62
      6 6 14 9 9 97 6 4 7 7 4

Let me know what else you may need thanks
      What advance settings would I need to change and what is mc voltage?
      Last edited by Cincy; 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS 2101, can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...reme/#download

might reset the CMOS, Disable XMP, then load the base timings manually, CR to 2T, DRAM voltage at 1.6, try QPI/VTT about 1.44, OC is prob good with 3.7 @ 1.4....then see how that does,, they've had problems w/ this and 24GB, I'll drop GSkill Tech a note to take a look

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So I had the latest bios at one time but when I went to check it was running 1801 bios no idea why but anyways i updated the bios and changed those timings and it worked. I'm very happy thanks for the help and are there any other settings that I should change to help oc my cpu higher?

Comment

Glad that worked out, on the OC, I'd leave DRAM as is and maybe just ease the CPU up a bit at a time

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X