Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on build

I have chosen for a new build the following:

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

my question since I've been reading the issues with the bios and ram, is it a 100% probability I will run into the same issue?

$$ is in the equation on this build and I'd like to bump up to 16g RAM, what would you suggest without me having to take out a second mortgage would be a good RAM upgrade choice?

It's been quite a while since I've built a new system, hope I remember how.

TIA

Have no real idea of what budget you have in mind, but jumping from 8 to 16, with what you show ($39) figure you can about count on $80 or so. Based on that figure, I'd suggest the 4x4GB Snipers in 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231534

This is a 1600/CL9 set that is very versatile and OCs well, should be able to run up to 1866 with no problem, based on your mobo/CPU combo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I don't see that model in the QVL list, at least not with the GBSR after it, will this matter? The price is good though.
      Any noticeable difference between the F3-12800CL9Q-16GBSR you suggest
      and F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL or F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL?

Comment

The Ripjaws X would be my second choice, they were designed for the 1155 and 2nd Gen CPUs like the 2600K, the Zs would be a good choice also, that line was more in mind for X79 and socket 2011 but works weel on the 1155. Believe the three use slightly different ICs and the programming differs a bit. However, all will work, the Snipers, as I said would be my favorite of the three, they've worked in everything I through them at and with the OC ability, adds some extra life to them that you can kick up to 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman. Will take your advice and get the Sniper.

Comment

Think you'll love 'em! I keep sets of them in my shop from 1600 up through 2133 for upgrades, testing, et al, love 'em. (Am hoping they go to a 32GB 2400 to 2800 set, but right now 1866 is tops for 32GB on the Snipers)

Tman

Comment

If you're going to all that expense and trouble, you might consider all the advantages of spending a few extra dollars for an Ivy Bridge processor rather than that Sandy Bridge one. I don't think your SATA 6 will work on Sandy Bridge, maybe I'm wrong. And you also become USB 3.0 capable, PCI-E 3.0 capable, who knows what else. I think--check it out. I have the i7-3770 myself (not the overclockable i7-3770k -- not into buying and regulating extra fans, etc.) which comes with HD Graphics 4000, and it's great!

Comment

All mentioned (SATA III (6GB), USB 3 and PCI-E 3) are independent of the CPU and backward compatible

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  All mentioned (SATA III (6GB), USB 3 and PCI-E 3) are independent of the CPU and backward compatible
                  Can you explain what you mean, I have an idea but not 100% sure.

Comment

Bozz above suggested going with an Ivy Bridge CPU, i.e. 3770K would be closest to your 2600K SB (Sandy Bridge, 2nd Gen CPU), in the belief that the IB (Ivy Bridge, 3rd Gen CPU) would provide access to newer features available to PCs. However, the things he mentioned like SATA III, USB 3 and PCI-E 3 (all latest advancements of each) are not CPU centric, but more Chipset centric and available to all CPUs that run on the applicable mobos (most all newer ones). With what you are looking at, you could go either way, the 2600K which is a great CPU or the 3770K w/ the slightly newer design. Overall they are near equal, the 3770K has better built in graphics, which is immaterial with the graphics card you have listed, and handles higher freq DRAM better i.e. the 2700K will top out at about 2200 DRAM while the 3770K can handle up to 2800 and above. The 2700K OCs better overall but the 3770K is a little more powerful (but as an example where you might run the 2700K at 4.8 GHz and the 3770K at 4.6GHzm bench wise they would be near equal.

Tman

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Tradesman

Comment

No problem, be looking forward to hearing good things on the build

Tman

Comment

I have what is probably a silly question, since I'm only using 1 GPU am I correct that it only goes in the primary PCI Express x16 slot (closest to CPU) on the ASUS Maximus V EXTREME ? Using the GeForce GTX 660 Ti GPU.

Comment

nvm, found what I was looking for

Comment

Yes, and that's a great GPU

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X