What is XMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is XMP?

I sent an email to GSkill customer support asking if a certain type of their RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) was compatible with the MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, and this was the response:

Dear Customer

Yes, no problem at all, just make sure to configure settings in BIOS or enable XMP Profile.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    I know there are guides in the forum that tell you HOW to do this, but can someone explain to me what this even means? I'm not really one to mess with the BIOS or do any of these extra tricks, so is this something I would need to do at all if I don't plan to overclock? Will the RAM not work properly at all if I don't do this?

Thanks,
    John

XMP is basically for those who don't want to manually configure their system. It stands for eXtreme Memory Performance, and is programming that is loaded into the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) of the memory which is read by the BIOS. It is a part of DRAM for sticks 1600 and up (at it's inception 1333 was the default standard for DRAM and motherboards). What it is intended to do is the programming interacts with the BIOS to configure the DRAM as well as system voltages and clock speed of the CPU that is required to run the DRAM at it's intended freq/speed. Without it, you are left to set things up manually and the higher the freq of the sticks the more that may be involved.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you. Am I being told to do this because of the particular RAM or motherboard I chose, or is it simply something that has to be done to any type of 1600+ RAM on any board?

Comment

When you install DRAM, regardless of freq, it will automatically set it up to the mobos default or the closest it can, but if your sticks oare 1600 or better you need to either use XMP ar manually set them up to use the entire spec freq

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          When you install DRAM, regardless of freq, it will automatically set it up to the mobos default or the closest it can, but if your sticks oare 1600 or better you need to either use XMP ar manually set them up to use the entire spec freq
          So this is not just a GSkill thing, then, but something for all RAM?

I'm not quite sure I understand the instructions at http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10727

It seems like the first picture is for setting up XMP, and the other pictures are for manually doing it, but I don't see what exactly is supposed to be done in that first picture. If you set up XMP, does that mean the rest of the instructions in that post can be ignored?

Comment

XMP is basically an INdustry Standard for Intel based mobos. To use XMP on most mobos, you simply boot into the BIOS, enable XMP and select the profile you want.

Tman

Comment

XMP is basically an INdustry Standard for Intel based mobos. To use XMP on most mobos, you simply boot into the BIOS, enable XMP and select the profile you want.
              Well, I suppose with a GUI BIOS it will be easy enough. But before I do this, will the RAM still work and everything will boot into Windows as normal? In other words, is this something I can do at my leisure, or must it be done immediately upon booting the PC for the first time?

Comment

It should basically just boot up fine and run...it may even boot up at 1600, I'm not positive what the mobo's default boot speed is (which can depend on the BIOS), it normally will be 1333 or 1600, so yes it should work. Would suggest at some point checking the BIOS and ensuring it is the latest as well as updating/loading the latest drivers. Normally with a new mobo it will come with a disk containing system drivers and assorted software and often (like the BIOS) is out of date. Go to the manufacturers web site, find your mobo and there will be a download section with all the latest drivers, BIOS and software.

Tman

Comment

It should basically just boot up fine and run...it may even boot up at 1600, I'm not positive what the mobo's default boot speed is (which can depend on the BIOS), it normally will be 1333 or 1600, so yes it should work. Would suggest at some point checking the BIOS and ensuring it is the latest as well as updating/loading the latest drivers. Normally with a new mobo it will come with a disk containing system drivers and assorted software and often (like the BIOS) is out of date. Go to the manufacturers web site, find your mobo and there will be a download section with all the latest drivers, BIOS and software.
                  So if I use a program to check my RAM and it shows that it's running at 1600, then I don't need to enable XMP or manually set the BIOS? I've always heard it is somewhat dangerous to update the BIOS if you don't really need to, like it might cause problems with the motherboard or computer. Is this true?

Comment

It is, but what you've heard primarily goes back a few years, it's 100% easier and safer these days and the way the components continue to get bigger, better and more powerful, the mobo companies have a hard time keeping up with the new tech advances.

As far as checking DRAM, might want to download CPU-Z, it's a freebie, check the memory tab and it will tell you the freq you are running as well as the base timings and CR (keep in mind DDR3 is DOUBLE DATA rate, so if you are running 1600, it will indicate 800 in the freq area)

Tman

Comment

As far as checking DRAM, might want to download CPU-Z, it's a freebie, check the memory tab and it will tell you the freq you are running as well as the base timings and CR (keep in mind DDR3 is DOUBLE DATA rate, so if you are running 1600, it will indicate 800 in the freq area)
                      So if it shows 800, do I need to mess with the BIOS or XMP?

Comment

Nope, have at it and Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Thanks! Should be ordering all the parts soon!

Comment

We'll be looking forward to hearing how your rig turns out, keep in touch!

Tman

Comment

Yes, DDR3 motherboards can only default to DDR3-1600 CL11 max, so if you have DDR3-1600 CL9 memory, you still need to enable XMP or manually input timings 9-9-9-24, otherwise the system will operate at standard 11-11-11-30 timing values.

So either way, as long as you have performance memory (better than DDR3-1333 CL9), you should always enable XMP or manually input settings. Doing so will not harm your computer in any way, if you accidentally input the wrong settings, the system will not boot properly and you will just need to try again. It's no big deal.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by JohnJSal View Post
                              So if it shows 800, do I need to mess with the BIOS or XMP?

Comment

Working...
                              X