Got 1333 with 8GB 1600 GSkill RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 1333 with 8GB 1600 GSkill RAM

I recently bought a 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill Memory module, and when I use it in my PC, it shows as 1333 RAM, and not as 1600.
    I had to overclock it in BIOS in order to set it to 1600, and now I can't overclock it to more (over 1600), which should be normal and possible.

Info:

G.Skill RipJaws 8GB 1600MHz
    F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL
    DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
    CL10-10-10-30 1.5V

Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR T77
    2400MHz RAM Support
    AMI BIOS
    Chipset: Z77

Processor:
    Intel i7 3770K
    3.5GHz Quad
    8MB L3
    LGA 1155

Thanks for any help.

Can anyone help? G.Skill Support?

Comment

1333 is the mobo default, make sure you have the latest BIOS, enable XMP and select the 1600 profile which will set your basic and secondary/advanced timings, and that should get you to 1600. To OC the sticks further, prob want to change base timings to 1866 and 11-11-11-33, and raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 or so, these aren't really considered high performance, (note the 'L' at the end of the model number. The like models ending in 'M' or 'H' (medium, High) will OC better from their stock freq)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The motherboard default is 1600 and I bought it mostly for that. If I bought a 1600 RAM, it should be 1600 without overclocking. The multiplier is at maximum of 16x and only then, the ram is 1600.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? Might try a CMOS reset, turn off, then reinstall the sticks and start up, let us know what it sets them to (freq/timings and voltages). If the default is actually 1600, then might check the timings it's loading - generally base timings for default in most BIOSs are to JEDEC spec, like 9-9-9-27 or so. If so, have choice of XMP or manually loading the spec timings of the stick, 10-10-10-30. Mention this because most H77 chipset mobos do default to 1333.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, updated yesterday.
            I tried the CMOS reset already, no luck.
            The mobo has support for 1333, 1600, 1860(OC) - 2400(OC)
            I don't actually get it, if the ram is 1600, why doesn't it show as 1600?

Comment

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...n.php?S_ID=595
              You can see the specs of the mobo here.

Comment

What does it show at in the UEFI? or CPU-Z for that matter, under the Memory Tab?

Comment

I am not currently at my computer. I'll be there in 6 hours

Comment

I took a look at the specs and manual, true specs show it takes down to 1066, and couldn't find anything about 1600 being the default, so when advertising w/ 1333 as the lowest freq, and it comes up as 1333 (as you said earlier) then guessing that yes, 1333 is the default. So would want to set to 1600 either manually w/ spec timings or enabling XMP. To try and OC higher (which may or may not work with this mobo), would suggest 1866 and the timings I provided earlier and OC the CPU to 3.8/3.9 or so. Further OCs above 1600 require an OC of the CPU (which is why they show an (OC) after the freqs for 1866, 2133, etc

Tman

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/Ux2Uy.jpg
                      Have I been tricked?

Comment

That simply shows the DRAM freqs that the mobo supports, the (OC) indicates you prob need to OC the CPU to run the DRAM at it's given/spec freq, so as stated before, simply set to 1600 manually or enable XMP. Since it is spec 1600, to OC these sticks higher, would follow the timings and voltage increase mentioned before if you wish to OC the DRAM to 1866. It should run 1600 fine with stock CPU.

Tman

Comment

Yes, but isn't 1600 without the (OC)?

Comment

Alright, this is lame.
                            I just checked the tutorial of GSKILL Staff on how to overclock Z77 Chipset (mine).
                            http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10728

Took a better look, seems like he's using BIOSTAR TZ77XE4 Motherboard.
                            I'm using BIOSTAR T77.
                            Went to the site of the TZ77XE4, and found that the same memory specs are there. (1333, 1600 without the "(OC)" which means it can run 1600MHz RAM without overclocking.)
                            Here's the site of the TZ77XE4 motherboard
                            And here's the site of my motherboard.

Yet on the overclocking thread it says in his bios that he's set the RAM Multiplier to 24, and my maximum with my G.Skill 1600MHz RAM is 16.

I think there's something wrong with my G.Skill RAM

Comment

You don't have a Z77 - you bought a H77, you are looking at two completely different setups - the only thing the have in common is the T77.......the other mobo - the TZ77XE4 Ver. 5.x is a Z77 based mobo, that is the high end chipset, your's uses an altogether different chipset the H77, which is the like the entry level for the 1155 mobos, most mobo makers don't put a lot of time into the BIOS on the H77s, as the they do the higher end chipsets in the 1155 line like the P67/Z68 and Z77 chipsets.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X