2600k + 2x F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2600k + 2x F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM - Question

Hi guys. Got a question here. Hope someone can help me.

I got caught thinking about an RAM upgrade, since my old 2x2gb 2000mhz kit is relatively "weak" for actual use because it's only 4gb and Battlefield 3 won't even run because the lack of memory. And my aplications are starting to beg for more RAM.

So I had the opportunity to get 2 kits of F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM for a real nice price.

My question is... The memory controller of 2600k is not as strong as 3770k's. Can the 2600k handle 2 of these kits? Can I safely run these kits with the XMP profile loaded?

Getting an 3770k is really out of view.

My actual config is:

2600k @ 5ghz, Biostar TZ77XE4, 2x2gb corsair dominator gt 2000mhz, GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition, PSU Corsair TX2 750w, SSD Crucial M4 128gb and 3x 2tb HDDs for storage.

Main use of PC: Work and benchmarking. Gaming just a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

Short answer is yes the 2600K can handle 16GB of 2133 (actually it handles 32GB rather easily), only problem you may run into is that any time you mix sets it can be problematic, the two sets might play and might not. You will want the latest BIOS and be prepared to prob have to raise DRAM and/or MC (Memory Controller) voltage and possibly make some adjustments to the advanced timings - normally none of this is a big problem...unless it's two sets that just don't want to play. As far as XMp goes, XMP is programmed into the sticks SPD by the packaged set, i.e. a two stick set might call for a tRFC of 128 while a 4 sticks package might take 171, often the BIOS can auto adjust to proper or semi-proper timings, other times it has to be done manually. I know I've mixed both Ripjaws X, Z, and Sniper sets (2133/9 2x4GB = 16GB) a number of times with the 2600K as well as even the 2500K with no problems other than a balky BIOS a couple of times

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Then I will be "gambling", right?

Manually raising the voltages isn't a problem and I have no problems to make some fine adjustments at the timmings and etc.

My BIOS never let me down before and I hope it won't be the first time.

Thank you very much for the fast answer, Tman.

Comment

Let us know how it goes, and of course, if any problems, yell out...I'm going to hit it for the night soon, but I'll be in and out all day/evening Fri

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X