F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK BSODs when adding 2 additional sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK BSODs when adding 2 additional sticks

I have a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 MB running latest BIOS with a AMD Phenom II X4 955BE running Windows 7. For the last 3 years I have been running it with 2x2GB sticks of f3-10600cl8d-4gbhk with BIOS memory settings at auto with no memory related issues. I just purchased another kit (2x2GB) of the same model memory and now I have gotten BSOD and fail on Test 7 (Block Move) of Memtest 86.

I tried modifying my settings in the BIOS but cannot come up with a configuration that allows me to pass Memtest when running the memory at 1333mhz. I can get it stable when downclocking the memory to 1066mhz. Is there a way to get it stable at 1333mhz or should I just leave it at 1066? What type of performance hit am I going to take running it lower?

I have attached the memory settings page from my BIOS showing my settings that work at 1066 but not 1333.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...mag0124ec.jpg/

Things to try.

Try booting with the new set only.
    Change the comand Timimg to 2t for now.
    Change the Tfrco to 160 when running all 4 sticks.
    Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
    AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
    G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
    XFX HD4870 1GB 256Bit DDR5
    CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
    Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
    Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
    Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
    Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
    2-WD 250 Gig HD
    1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Comment

The picture is a mistake. I have been running with at 2T command timing.

Went ahead and changed Tfrco to 160 and ran Memtest. Still errors on test 7. I then removed the old sticks and put the new pair in the primary memory bank. Set my BIOS to auto for the memory speed and timings. The Memtest passed.

I then put the old sticks back in the secondary memory bank so I was back to 4 sticks. I left the BIOS settings all at AUTO and somehow do not have any errors on 4 runs through Memtest. Any explanation for why swapping memory slots made a difference. I was unable to run with the BIOS on Auto with no errors when the olds sticks were in the primary slot and the new were in the secondary slots.

Comment

Might clear CMOS before trying the above, also check that you have the latest BIOS
        Last edited by Tradesman; 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

More things to try.

set dram timimgs to manual and put in the first 4 numbers thst are printed on your memory sticks, the rest at auto. let run for a few days, if no problem set your command timimg back to 1T. see how that runs, Should be good, need any more help let me know ok .......Rob
          Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
          AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
          G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
          XFX HD4870 1GB 256Bit DDR5
          CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
          Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
          Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
          Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
          Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
          2-WD 250 Gig HD
          1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
          Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Comment

Not sure why but everything is fine since I swapped slots for my sticks. With the new ones in the slots formerly occupied by my old sticks and vice a versa, I have passed all memtests and no more BSODs. This is with all settings at AUTO in my BIOS for the memory.

Comment

Sounds good, the newer ones might have had a slight tweak to the SPD that helped, (or they just wanted to be dominant )

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X