RAMPAGE IV Extreme. + GSKILL 32 or 64gb kits not stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAMPAGE IV Extreme. + GSKILL 32 or 64gb kits not stable

I Need a an opinion on what is going on with this setup.

Rampage iv Extreme. Bios Version 2105
    CPU 3930K C2 (WS Board also has 3930K)
    Antec HCP 1200 powersupply. (8 Pin CPU power connected, eazy plug 2 connected with floppy power connector)
    Cooler. Corsair H100
    Ram

GSKILL F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL 32gig kit (Used on a P9X79WS Board for 6 months with CPU at 4600. Flawless).

GSKILL F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD 64gig kit (New kit just got back from RMA, passes LinX in the P9X79WS with XMS Settings and cpu at stock).

The problem I am having is that I cannot get either of the gskill sets even close to stable.
    With the 64gig
    Start with all bios settings default after clearing cmos.
    Set XMP Settings
    Reboot and system will not post. Have to clear cmos, or do the mem ok button.
    Have tried Clock Gen Filter at 20 and at 10.
    And Rampage Tweak at Mode 1 or 2.

Gave up and put the 64gig set back into the WS and started with the 1866 set.
    It posts fine but LinX always fails on first run or generates BSOD's.
    Besides the Gen Filter and Tweak mode, I also tried the RAW MHZ Profile.
    No Joy.

Tried these tests with the 32GIG Set.

1. all 8 sticks in the P9X79WS pass memtest86+
    2. all 8 sticks in the RIVE fail memtest86+ (all default + xmp + mode 1)
    VTT CPU (Auto) 1.365
    VCCSA (Auto) 1.262
    DRAM Voltage 1.5
    DRAM Current Capability 100%
    3. 4 sticks in the RIVE all red slots pass memtest86+
    4. Other 4 sticks in the RIVE all red slots pass memtest86+
    5. 6 sticks in the RIVE all red + two inner black slots pass memtest86+
    6. 7 Sticks in RIVE all red + two inner black + 1 slot towards back (io) of board. pass memtest86+
    7. 7 Sticks in RIVE all red + two inner black + 1 slot towards front of board. Fast fail of memtest 86+
    (Same 7 Sticks that passed Test 6)

Hmmmm.

Next test to see of that slot always produces errors
    8. 4 Sticks, 2 red 2 black front of board (Same sticks that were in those slots from test 7). Failed badly. Was running overnight. 6912 errors and then memtest froze.
    9. 2 Sticks. 1 Red Slot on Black slot, closest to front of board. Failed Memtest86+
    10. Same 2 Sticks from test 9. 1 Red Slot on Black slot, front of board next to cpu. Passed Memtest86+

Every test with a DIMM in C2 has failed.
    Every test with no dimm in C2 has passed.

11. Put in 2 sticks of Corsair Vengance 1600 in the same slots as from test 9.
    Cleared cmos.
    Set xmp
    Memtest passed.... C2 slot ok with the Vengance ram at 1600...

12. Put 2 Sticks from 32 Gig set back into the same slots as test 9 and 11...
    Cleared cmos
    set xmp, MODE 1, Changed Speed to 1600
    Memtest passed.... C2 slot ok with the Gskill ram at 1600...

So Both tests on slot C2 with 1600 speed passed memtest....

13. Set speed back to 1866... Failed memtest
    14. Flashbacked to bios 1404. No change. Slot C2 still will not run over 1600

Flashed back to 2105
    15. Put 1 half of the 64gig kit in the red slots. No post no matter what settings I use.
    16. Change speed to 2133. Posts but no matter what settings I use, instant and constant memtest errors.
    17. Changed powersupply with then 1200 from the WS board. No change.
    18. Swapped CPU's to test IMC. No changed on either system.*
    WS Still working with same set of 2400

Rampage still wont post at 2400 and massive errors at 1866.
    Any thoughts on what is going on? I think the MOBO is bad, Asus forums think the Ram is bad (makes no sense since it is fine in the WS board) or cpu has a very weak IMC (Can swap processors if I have to, but do not think the symptoms point to this either).
    Last edited by pbm; 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM.

Check that you have the latest BIOS, if not, then update to that and try either set, install, enable XMP and select the profile for the set....if you have the latest BIOS, clear CMOS, then enable XMP, select profile and go...think I'd start with the 32GB set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Using most current bios. Updated it as soon as I got the board.
      Every test was done with the following.
      Clear cmos
      Set XMP
      Only 1 profile available with the 32 Gig set so always profile 1.
      Set Extreme Tweaker to Mode 1 (Other tests prior to this series of test had settings of mode 2 and auto but did not help).

Final result right now is that I cannot run above 1600 speed in the C2 slot. I can have all 7 of the other slots filled and it runs stable at 1866. Any combination of sticks that include C2 will have massive instability and fail memtest.

At 1600 speed both the gskill and the crucial ram run fine in slot C2.

Just reverted the bios back to 1404 to repeat the tests and see if it behaves the same way.

Surely this is not normal behavior for this motherboard?

Comment

Sounds like possibly a bad slot, might try increasing the MC (memory Controller) and/or the DRAM voltages, to see if possibly the mobo or the PSU isn't regulating voltages correctly... Am guessing you've tried different sticks in that slot, so if not the voltages, back to guessing the slot itself

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks,
          Yes, I have tried multiple sticks in slot C2. All fail over 1600. They all pass in the other slots.
          I tried the PSU from my WS board (same antect HCP 1200) no change on slot C2.
          Tried Upping Memory voltage in steps all the way to 1.65 no change on slot C2.
          Tried vccsa up to 1.25 no change on slot C2.
          Tried with bios 1404. No change on slot C2.

Looks like RMA time.
          Last edited by pbm; 08-31-2012, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it, let us know how the new mobo works out

Tman

Comment

Just added my last test results to the first post. This eliminated the CPU as being the problem.

Starting the RMA process now.

Comment

Let us know how it goes, and when you gt the new in

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X