Very Dissappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PotatoCat View Post
    i also did the system scan thing but it stopped at 45% in its validation process because if found some corrupt files and cant fix them. I forgot what the files were though.
    This is why it's very important to stress test overclocks, especially memory overclocks. Bad memory settings will slowly corrupt an OS. Been there man, and the only solution is to salvage what you can and re-install Windows.

Sounds like your memory clocks are coming around though at least.
    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Originally posted by damric View Post
      This is why it's very important to stress test overclocks, especially memory overclocks. Bad memory settings will slowly corrupt an OS. Been there man, and the only solution is to salvage what you can and re-install Windows.

Sounds like your memory clocks are coming around though at least.
      ****....so the only solution i have to to re-install windows? i dont know how to do that...

Comment

Can take your OS disk then and do a system repair, start it up and it will present an option to repair the system, if you have an early version of the OS and added SP1 yourself may have to uninstall it., or might try a system recovery

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Can take your OS disk then and do a system repair, start it up and it will present an option to repair the system, if you have an early version of the OS and added SP1 yourself may have to uninstall it., or might try a system recovery
          i bought this PC just a year ago so i dont think i have an early version of Win7
          i'll do that though

EDIT:
          my OS already comes with SP1

Comment

what kind of repair do you want me to do?
            Start up repair?

Comment

Could try that first, and see if it helps, if not might try a system recovery

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Could try that first, and see if it helps, if not might try a system recovery
                Startup repair + Chkdsk /r didnt work
                im going to do a system restore tomorrow since its 11:30pm here. All my files are gonna get wiped from the system recovery right? and do i need the OS disk to do it?

Comment

Do the system restore from within Win, all you'll lose is any programs you installed since the last recovery point, you won't lose any data files

Go to the start box and type SYSTEM RESTORE - it will take you to the action window for the process

Tman

Comment

Do the system restore from within Win, all you'll lose is any programs you installed since the last recovery point, you won't lose any data files

Go to the start box and type SYSTEM RESTORE - it will take you to the action window for the process
                    the earliest system restore i have is 3 days ago...should i do that?
                    should i do the system image thing instead?

Comment

If the Restore Point is prior to the problems, give it a try, if after the problems had started go to the one before it

Tman

Comment

If the Restore Point is prior to the problems, give it a try, if after the problems had started go to the one before it
                        They're all after the problems.... and i also tried a repair install and it couldnt start it because of an error. It says " The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue." but it didnt list any issues. I tired chkdsk /f /r and it says all files are fine but sfc /scannow still stops at verification, i booted into the windows install disk to find some repairs/system restore points but its no help because i cant find the OS in the system recovery options even if i load the drivers.

so pretty much im hopeless with this.... if there is no other options left i'll just do a clean install..... but i dont know how

Comment

thanks Tradesman, you had provide so many useful opinions and it helps a lot!

three days ago of the previous system restore may not help, but can give it a shot!

Comment

Was hoping to get away from a clean install, but may have to (which also maeans you need to reinstall all your programs. Might want to download Belarc Adviser and run it, it will document the programs (in particular grabbing what Lic #s it can find) as well as your hardware. Then will prob want to make a backup of all your data files (an easy start is to Copy the C:\USERS directory) then copy anyplace else you might save data files (as an example I run Direct TV through a couple of my systems, so I have a separate VIDEOS directory where I keep recorded shows/movies/races/etc)

Tman

Comment

Clean install is easy.

Be sure to save any files, pictures, music, or anything you can salvage onto a flash drive or other disk.

When you are ready just reboot with the Windows disk. Follow the on-screen prompts. It will ask you if you want to set up separate partitions in the same drive, or just make one big drive. Then you click ok and it unpacks and copies the files and sets up windows. For a regular HDD this can take 30-45 minutes or more. For a Solid State drive it will take a few minutes. The really, really sucky part comes next. Downloading the windows updates you need, then installing all of your drivers. If you have your motherboard disk, great, if not, download your mobos drivers from the manufacturer's website and save to a flash drive before you do this re-install.

This is a really good time to get a cheap SSD and use it for your Windows install. Consider all of this a divine message or something, lol.

Comment

You already fixed your memory errors right?

You obviously need to be absolutely 100% stable when doing any system restores or a full re-install.

Don't feel bad, we've all borked our systems up beyond repair. I try not to make a habit of it, but as an overclocker it's something I risk daily and I've been down the path plenty enough. Always important to thoroughly test for stability

Comment

Working...
                                X