Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16GB X79 on a Z77 Motherboard

Hi Folks,

First post here so apologies if I'm asking something which has been queried before.

I have purchased the following memory:

G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RipjawsZ X79 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Now I didn't notice that this was an X79 quad kit at the time as this has been put into an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard (with an i7 3770K and Asus GTX680 CUIIT)

The questions I have are firstly, is this kit compatible with the board - I realise it would run as dual channel rather than quad, but are there any compatibility issue I am not aware of?

Secondly, when I use the auto-detect button on the board (when in the bios screen), it checks the memory and states all is ok, however it shows it as 1600MHz rather than 1866MHz. I can change this to a target frequency of 1866MHz in the bios, but is there a reason for the board to see it as 1600 and is there anything else I would need to change to run at 1866.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by ledaig; 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM.

Yes they should run fine. Yes, initially it should show up as 1600 as that is the basic default boot up freq for the mobo and Yes something else is required, simply enable XMP and select the 1866 profile..or..manually set freq to 1866 and ensure the base timing per the package are set correctly in the BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

No problem, if any trouble give us a shout

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X