No announcement yet.

F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL MSI 790FX-GD70 & Crossfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep seems so. I asked MSI about using lighting & lighting II in crossfireX & asked on MSI forums as well, both said would work. & for the most par it did.
    This rig was originally built w/2 lighting cards in a dual cfx config. After about a year onc card began causing artifacts. RMAed it, got it back "fixed". Lasted oh maybe couple months & started showing artifacts again. RMAed again. Got a refurb. Lasted @ 1yr. RMAed it, & after about a month was offered a fair market value refund. Used that money to buy the lighting II, also a refurb. Lasted a few months. Luckily it has a few months left on the warranty.

So, need to find out if vanilla ATI 5870 will cfx well with MSI r5870 lighting.
    Is it possible to OC one card & noth the other? Or does OC settings effect both cards?
    Lighting running 900mhz. ATI runs 850mhz. See what I'm getting at...
    Last edited by GeoJ3; 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM. Reason: Typo corrections

Comment

On the Crossfire, think the approach I would take, initially anyway, would be to start w/ the fastest card, in the primary slot, and downclock it to the slower ones speed, once it's stable, add the second card and try Crossfire

Setting the DRAM timings is no big deal, just go in an manually change to the spec timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Re-intall CCC.
        AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Thx guys
          The guides should prove very helpful.
          I no longer think the ram is the issue. I used 1 stick of ram from a previous build (g.skill also)
          & the problem still persist. So it's the second vid card. I tested each card individually & that card fails. The. Bad card only fails when I try to hook up 3monitors. Aside from that it runs fine.

Got the good card in, running three monitors smooth.
          Just ordered new oem ATI 5870. Try my hand at oc'ing.... Or down clocking

Thx again.
          Last edited by GeoJ3; 08-17-2012, 06:35 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

No problem, let us know how things turn out with the new video card

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

All is good.

Bit of a trick to get it up and running properly but as it turns out it wasn't the memory that was causing my issues, even tho at least 2 of the sticks failed memtest. I did a lot of research & by trial & error got things running in tripple cfx 900mhz/1200mhz tripple monitor setup. FYI, the sapphire 5870 w/blue pcb, is a bugger to oc (easy enough w/AMD OD tho). W/some help from some oc forums I was able to get everything up & running.

Bought new ram (g.skill of course), as soon as it gets here I'll be RMA'ing the old sticks.

Want to thank you guys, Tradesman especially, for the awesome forum & help.

Geo

Comment

Glad to hear all is better, keep us updated and in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X