X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ compatibility with Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4, rev 2.0
    2. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
    3. Memory: currently 2x1GB F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ, trying to use 2x2GB F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    4. OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

I have been using the 2GB (2x1GB) set (F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ) since January 2009, and recently decided to upgrade to the 4GB (2x2GB) set (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) of PC-6400 DDR2.

After a few minutes of using the 4GB set my computer begins to freeze up. As it's doing a task, it'll freeze and the HDD light will not light up, and after about a minute of doing nothing the HDD light will turn on and it'll resume doing whatever the task was (like launching a program, copying a file, etc). I RMA'd the memory and the new 4GB set is doing the exact same thing as before.

I tried setting the memory speed to DDR2-667 and upping the DDR voltage to 1.85V and neither of these did anything.

I experienced this freezing behavior several times just browsing the internet using Google Chrome, and on two occasions I got memory errors that read:
    "The instruction at XXXXXXXXX referenced memory at XXXXXXXXX. The memory could not be read."

I ran memtest86+ on both sets of 4GB memory - the first set and the RMA'd set - and both sets passed.

The reason I don't think it's hard-drive related is because my computer runs fine with the 2x1GB set back in it, and there are no noises to indicate that the HDD is failing. I've killed countless hard drives throughout my life and am pretty good at detecting an impending failure.

GSkill Tech, do you have any past tickets or experiences that may indicate whether these particular memory modules are compatible with my motherboard?

Thank you,
    Nick

Couple of things, believe your mobo wants ECC DRAM and these are non-ECC, also the mobo supports up to 1.8 sticks and with the weak MC in the AMD CPUs, may need more voltage, could try raising CPU/NB voltage a tad and set the sticks to 1.8 for a try, may need to add a bit to vCore

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X