Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500cl5d-4gbpk

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get my memory set to run at 1066. If I leave settings on auto, it just sets it at 800mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings. The info screen before the bios loads confirms it's 800mhz running in dual channel interleaved mode.

If I manually set the frequency to 533 and leave everything else on auto including voltage, the info screen says 1066 memory running in dual channel interleaved mode. But when I open up CPU-Z, it has it as 400mhz. Is this a bug or was the memory programmed to read as that regardless of settings? I have run pcpitstop and sometimes the memory passes the performance part and sometimes it is really subpar. I noticed that sometimes the info screen reports it as 800mhz even though I have the frequency set to 533.

I have speedstep, C1E and that other power saving thing enabled, can't remember what it's called, but it's after speedstep, intel something tech, I'm also running the Asus AI Suite. I noticed my CPU sucks in PC Pitstop if I don't turn the AI to performance setting so I don't know if this stuff is affecting my memory and not letting clock up or not. I have disabled all the power saving features in the bios and CPU-Z still reads the frequency as 400. I assumed it would read it as 533 if it was running at 1066.

The only time CPU-Z read different was when I overclocked the FSB of the CPU and it clocked down the memory into the 300 frequency range.

My voltage settings for the memory on the pack says 2.0-2.1, should I manually set this or is it ok to leave it on auto in the bios? I hate to have to send this combo back, but it's getting agravating trying to get the memory to run at it's correct speed. Am I ok as long as the info screen that pops up before the bios loads says 1066 dual channel memory running in interleaved mode even though CPU-Z says 400mhz?

My system is

Asus P5QL Pro motherboard
    4 gigs of GSKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    Intel E5200 processor
    Vista 64

I haven't updated the bios since this is a new board and I have my two sticks of memory in the yellow slots. I have tried them in the brown slots and it made no difference. I'm not overclocking, just using the power saving features and the Asus AI Suite. This motherboard will not reboot after changing anything in the bios that has to do with memory or the cpu fsb. It will hang and I have to hit reset then all is fine, it goes to windows. Would I have been better off getting a motherboard with the same FSB as my CPU or does that have any affect on how the memory would run?

I contacted GSKILL tech support by phone and they told me to send an email to ustech support and they wanted me to send them a screenshot of my CPU-Z but didn't have any answers why it was reading it at 400mhz. Thanks for any help or info you can give me.

Mitch

Set the voltage to 2.1v to insure that it's always receiving enough/consistent voltage. Otherwise, the standard voltage is 1.8v and it won't be enough at certain times. You should definitely update your BIOS to insure that there are no bugs that are causing you trouble. Hopefully once you have completed the BIOS update, your motherboard will be better able to recognize the 1066. Also, make sure when you set to 1066, always manually set timing and voltage to the rated specifications. Please keep us posted.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Here is the link to the BIOS update for your motherboard. Looks like there is an update for enhancing memory compatibility. Your current BIOS probably doesn't support 1066 very well, hence the reason why it is only showing 400(800) in CPU-Z.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...del=P5QL%20PRO

Please let us know if that helps.

Thank you

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I was having the same problem as you, then I called asus and we figured out that the E5200 has a FSB of 800 so your ram will ONLY run at 800. You have to get a 1066 FSB cpu to run your ram at 1066- according to asus

Comment

That is correct, overclock the FSB to 1066 (266) and the CPU will be at 3.3 up from 2.5. zthang got it to run at stock voltage as well, so this is a great setup for overclock.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
          X