Random Freezes during operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Freezes during operation

I recently upgraded my pc from an older dual core to a newer quad core amd processor. At default (all auto) settings in my bios I would get freezes very frequently any time I tried to play any sort of game. I have adjusted the settings and have gotten the computer to be much more stable, however I am still having freezes occur (though much less frequently). Just to be clear I am not having BSODs or anything, the entire computer just locks up and often times has a sound loop (if in a game etc). Also, I am unable to get the modules to be recognized as PC2 8500 modules in CPU-Z. It always shows them as PC2-6400 modules. I have tried adjusting the timings to what they are rated at, as well as upping the ram voltage to spec along with bumping the frequency to 533 (this particular board seems to do things in x2 multiples, so 533 x2 would be 1066 and is what it should be set to I would imagine). Regardless of what settings combinations I have tried I cannot get the random freezes to stop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

system specs:
    ASUS M4A77D motherboard (newest bios revision)
    G.Skill F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ (just one set equaling 4 GB)
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 Deneb 3.0Ghz (running at stock speeds)

If any other information is needed, let me know.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo? What slots are the sticks in? Do you have the CR (Command Rate) at 2N?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply.
      The newest bios is installed (2201). The 2 memory modules are in the two blue slots (A1 and B1 as per the manual). I cannot find anywhere in the bios that I can set the command rate, the bios on this board is different from most that I have used in the past. Edit: I did notice in CPU-Z that the command rate was 2T.
      Last edited by Tornel; 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

CR appears right (N and T are interchangeable, normally AMD uses N and Intel uses T) What version of CPU-Z are you using? is it 1.57? which is the latest. May want to try raising the CPU/NB about + .03 to + .05 if problems getting to 1066. The random freezes could be caused by a bad GPU driver, might check for the latest graphics driver or beta - can check at www.guru3d.com for both AMD/ATI and nVidia

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Raising the NB voltage any resulting in a no boot situation, however raising the HT voltage slightly seems to have solved the problem. I was able to get several passes completed error free in memtest86 as well as several gaming sessions without any issues. CPU-Z shows the correct frequency under the memory tab, but under the SPD tab it still shows it as PC2-6400 (400 Mhz) for maximum bandwidth, but at this point if it works I think I'll just leave it be.
          Thanks for the advice, and hopefully it will remain stable.

Comment

Where you want the info is the Memory tab, the SPD is looking at the mobo defaults 800

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X