Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1 6gig at 800

Hello Group,

I added 2 gigs of F2-8500CL5D to an existing 4 of the same RAM.

I am not going to spend time futzing with BIOS to get it all running at 1066, so my question is 4 gig at 1066 or 6 gig at 800? I don't imagine I can see any difference but thought I'd ask the experts.

I have this mem in a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1 latest BIOS.

Thanks

Unless of course there is a quick fix that I am missing...I've read a lot of posts here.

Grippy

Not sure of the exact set of sticks you have, but sounds like 2x2 and 2x1? If so put the 2x2 in slots 1-3 the 1x2 in slots 2-4 (or if it's a single 2GB stick put it in slot 2 (would be 1-2-3). Set the DRAM voltage to it's highest rating (or even + 0.02-0.04), Command Rate to 2T, Base timings i.e. 5-5-5-15 to spec, tRFC appr 74 (may have to play a bit for stability, if stable could try lowering 1-2 points at a time to fine tune), MCH to 1.28-1.32 or so, (also setting tRD to 8 or 9 might be needed and or set Performance Enhance to Standard)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes you have the sticks corrrect sorry for not being more clear.

I gave it a try and thanks for your help. It didn't work but that's OK it isn't that important to me

Grippy

Comment

All right, if you decide to try again let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

With 4 modules, you may need to raise NB Voltage and tweak some timings. Do you have the latest BIOS? Make sure you have that, set NB Voltage 1.40V, DRAM Voltage 2.10V, tRFC 80 in timings, and it should work. If not, the chips may not be compatible.

Point is, you need to use the 8GB (same for 6GB) settings as shown in the BIOS Configuration Guide.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have two replies, two answers and I appreciate both. As posted in my initial thread I have the latest BIOS.

"and it should work."

Should being the keyword.

I ran a couple benchmarks so I could answer my original question, "so my question is 4 gig at 1066 or 6 gig at 800?"

Using the Far Cry 2 bench and I won't post a ton of details

6 gig at 800 = 47.66 fps
            4 gig at 1066 = 52.91 fps

Crysis 6 gig at 800 = 49 fps
            Crysis 4 gig at 1066 = 51 fps

No conclusions will I share...just putting my data out there

Thanks for your time I really appreciate help of any sort

Grippy

Comment

While I am not a GSkill employee, just for info purposes, in computers (and lots of other things) there are a huge number of items that come into play when looking at DRAM, which is why the phrase 'should work' is used so often.

1. Mobo makers usually set their specs (i.e. will run DDR3 2000 DRAM) based on the fasted speed they have been able to get to with the board using the best sticks, CPU and PSU available - which all of us don't have.

2. Regardless of the QC in place (true of all DRAM manufacturers) not all sticks are 'exactly' the same due to a number of nuances, which is why most all manufacturers test the sets that go out together to ensure the sticks in a set will work together, and even then, there's always a possibility that a stick will go bad.

3. CPUs and different chipsets will have slight (even minuscule) differences from one to another that can have major effects on the changes needed to set things up 'just right'

As an example I once built 6 systems for a client, all of which were 'identical' (same mobos, CPUs, GPUs, PSUs, DRAM, OS and Drives, etc), yet to get them to run at the same specs, had 4 different sets of BIOS settings.

That was with barebones setups, when you throw into play the number of BIOSs and drivers available for any given system that can and will affect how different components work, upgrading DRAM, particularly mixed sets can become very cumbersome and time consuming

Tman

Comment

I know. Which is why it isn't worth my effort to fool with settings for hours. It wasn't intended to reflect negatively. If it did I am sorry

Grippy

Comment

No, not at all, I like to toss the same basic thing out every once on awhile because most people don't realize what they are getting into....they see a mobo (say AMD) that says it will run 1600 or 2000 DRAM and don't understand why it won't run w/ say a $50-60 CPU.

If you get some free time and want to play with it, let us know or even PM me, I'll try and help out

Tman

Comment

I put it up on eBay

Thanks for the offer though

Grippy

Comment

No problem

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X