F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI on a EVGA 780i SLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI on a EVGA 780i SLI

Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

RAM: F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI (two sticks, 4GB)

The auto-selected timings for the chip were 5-8-8-23 and some non-2.1v voltage, which is obviously not right. I've set them to 5-5-5-15 2.1v, but I'm still getting the occasional blue screen.

What other things should I change? There are more options on the timings screen, for example.

(The last pair of G.SKILL RAM I bought had similar blue screen issues, and I ended up having to replace them with Kingston RAM. Please don't tell me I'm going to have the same issue here.

Also, I could have SWORN I signed up as Moleculor, which is my name EVERYWHERE. What in the world happened?)

Ok, let me rephrase.

Apparently I was using a BIOS that was 3-15 months out of date. I've flashed my motherboard's BIOS with the most up to date BIOS and loaded defaults.

The defaults come up as 5-5-5-15 1.7v, but the RAM speed is still listed as 800MHz.

I changed the voltage to 2.1v, but it still comes up as 800MHz.

I can go into the speed settings thingy (not sure what it's called) and set things to Unlinked mode, where I can type in a speed for the RAM (and set it to 1200), but I'm not sure I should be doing that. Shouldn't the BIOS automatically detect the speed?

Also, the BIOS's own memory test doesn't seem to be able to get past 2880000K or so. It restarts around that point. (The numbers where the 0s are are moving too fast for me to see what's going on). I can't tell if it's restarting because the voltages in the BIOS are too low, or if there's something wrong with the RAM.
    Last edited by Moleculor; 10-02-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

This works for me

CPU: QX9770, 4000 MHz (10 x 400) (air)
      mb: EVGA 780i 132-YW-E178-FTW v.1 rev.A2 with latest bios: _SZ17
      GPU: BFG 285 OCFU (x3)
      memory: G Skill F2-9600CL5-2GBPI (2x2gb) slots 1&2 Running at 1200 timings: 5.5.5.15 2T @ 2.1v

Bios settings that I changed from default are as follows:
      FSB MEM CLOCK: UNLINKED
      FSB MHZ: 1600
      MEM MHZ: 1200
      everything else on AUTO

I also changed some voltages:
      CPU core: 1.35v
      CPU FSB: 1.325v
      MEMORY: 2.1v
      nforce SPP: 1.45v
      nforce MCP: 1.525
      HT....: 1.25
      everything else on AUTO

Disabled speedstep, thermal control along with disabling floppy controller, IDE etc.....

I just installed this memory last night, a change from 8gb (2x4) of OCZ 800 Reaper. So far so good. Have not run mem test, prime or any bechmarking yet. Keep in mind my MB is the FTW, it has a different bios than your board but these settings should be the same. I'll tweak more on these settings later. These are stable settings for me and the memory runs at 1200mhz.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sooshle View Post
        Disabled speedstep, thermal control along with disabling floppy controller, IDE etc.....
        I rather like my floppy controller, IDE, etc, would not disabling those suggest different settings than what you used?

Comment

Use Same

You can leave floppy, IDE enabled it won?t make a difference. You should be good to go with the other settings.

Comment

Alright, but what about the subtimings or deluxe timings, or whatever they're called? Oh, and I'm realizing those voltages you gave me might not be good for me, as we have completely different processors.

Comment

Alright, I just ran four hours of testing on the RAM with memtest86+. I had one error in about five tests, around the 2053.8MB mark. I then reduced the testing range to 2053-2054MB and ran 100 tests over a minute and a half, and didn't get any errors.

Don't know what that means, but this is the second stick of bad RAM I've received from GSkill. Would like some information from a tech.

Comment

The GSkill folks should be back in Monday, they are generally off on weekends

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  The GSkill folks should be back in Monday, they are generally off on weekends
                  Figured, but it's nice to hear for certain. Thank you.

Comment

What settings are you using to test the memory? Slightly bad settings can cause false errors. Try DDR2-1066 CL5 2.0V and see if that errors.

As far as your user name, I will change it after I see your next post. So just remember, if you come back and your info doesn't work, that's because I've already changed it to "Moleculor".

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

By CL5 2.0V, do you mean 5-5-5-15 2.0V, or do you mean 5-Auto-Auto-Auto 2.0V? I'm not sure I trust the auto settings.

And thank you for the name change. I was worried I'd forget my settings in a year if I ever came back to the forums.

(I also just switched over to Windows 7 using my old (stable) RAM. I hope that testing the RAM on the new OS doesn't make anything go wonky. It may be a few days or a week before I can check it though, my job is rather intense for the next couple days, and I have plans after.)

Comment

I mean 5-5-5-15.

Keep us posted on the results!

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok. I set the FSB (at least I think it's the FSB. It's SOMETHING unlinked...) to Unlinked so I could set the memory to 1066, and set the timings to 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V

The BIOS was showing the speed the RAM was at as 1066.2, the boot up screens were showing the speed as 1067, but 10 tests over 10 hours were successful, no errors, no reboots.

Odd that it would take 10 hours to do 10 tests though, as when I had it at 1200, it could do a single test in 30 minutes or so. Is the difference in speed that large? Huh.

What next? It SEEMS stable, so I'm risking my shiny new Win7 install running this RAM. What do I need to do to get it up to the rated speeds?
                          Last edited by Moleculor; 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Now you just need to raise DDR Frequency and SPP Voltage as needed.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ok, so.... bump it up to 1200 and try something higher than 2.1V?

Comment

Working...
                              X