Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSkill Stick Aparently dead - physical inspection tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill Stick Aparently dead - physical inspection tips?

Hi,
    I have a pair of F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ DDR2PC26400 RAM Sticks (1GBx2) since 2008.

Some months ago one of the sticks started to fail randomly(the system didn't start with the stick IN, no matter the used slot and combination). The fail condition was solved with a hard power reset(shutting down the PSU) each time it happened. Since last month it was really hard to get the system boot, but when it worked I could have the computer ON during weeks without any issues. Soft reset worked ok, hibernation and suspend too. Then if you poweroff the system, the problem showed again... and so on. Finally some weeks ago the Stick doesn't let me start the computer.

So I'm running my computer with one stick 1GB. And have the other on the table wondering how can I check it to try to find out where the problem is inside the stick. I'm located in Chile/South America so, if I can do something to solve the problem would be great. I think there has to be any test points by design, or may be I can test through the stick pins.

Thank you for your Help.

Best Regards, Felipe.

fdel

any visual/physical inspection would require removal of the heat spreaders, you probably won't see anything if you do, and worse - you void your warranty

if you have a dead stick - request an rma and get the kit replaced is my recommendation
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

yes, the problem is that I still have to use the computer while the new kit arrives here, and still sending the dead stick only has a cost(I'm not in the USA). So that's why I'm thinking of doing the electrical inspection myself.

I'm wondering may be I can identify the bad ram chip(hopefully a solder issue) and reflow the solder.

Best Regards, Felipe.

Comment

Where are you located? I would not suggest not doing it..

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Where are you located? I would not suggest not doing it..

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

I'm located in Chile, South america. Bought the Sticks on newegg.com

Currently this kind of RAM is unavailable here, or really expensive. If I have to buy, I would buy in newegg, 4 or 8 GB of RAM... to full the Mother board at once.

Can you suggest some electrical tests to be made to identify the fail in the Stick? I have a good multimeter here. And can access a rework station.

Hope you can help me.

Best Regards, Felipe.
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM.

Comment

fdela,

memtest 86+ version 4.10 is the only thing you need to confirm whether your memory is defective or not.

you can download and burn the bootable exe to a disk. run the test for 8 hours or until the first error - whichever comes first.

please give up the idea of doing any physical hardware inspection/test on your own and leave that to the experts.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

The actual DRAM IC can be defective (most cases), so mostly likely you will not be able to fix it. If you'd like, send them in one at a time for replacements. Our USA office can take care of that no problem.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Thanks wevsspot

Comment

Originally posted by wevsspot View Post
                fdela,

memtest 86+ version 4.10 is the only thing you need to confirm whether your memory is defective or not.

you can download and burn the bootable exe to a disk. run the test for 8 hours or until the first error - whichever comes first.

please give up the idea of doing any physical hardware inspection/test on your own and leave that to the experts.
                I can't do any software related test, because the system doesn't boot with the stick inside.

I CAN do hardware tests if someone gives me tips about special test points in the PCB, or a pin description of useful pins in the stick to do continuity tests or whatever.

I hope it's just a cold solder issue... can't find datasheets for D9MH chips

Best Regards, Felipe.

Comment

The actual DRAM IC can be defective (most cases), so mostly likely you will not be able to fix it. If you'd like, send them in one at a time for replacements. Our USA office can take care of that no problem.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Thanks wevsspot
                  That makes more sense... Now I have removed the heatsinks to see the chip part numbers. Is it ok?

Is it necessary to send the second stick? Would be great if I can just send the failed stick. I'll check if sending one stick is more convenient in price. Free shipping for the replacement (I'm in chile) ?

Best Regards, Felipe.

Comment

fedela,

technically you just voided your lifetime warranty by removing the heatspreaders. i'm going to step out of this conversation now - since you'll have to work the remainder of this out with gskill.
                    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                    Intel i7 950
                    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                    Corsair TX950W

Comment

Yes, if you need to keep a stick to use to avoid downtime, simply send back the defective stick only. You cover shipping to us, we cover shipping back to you.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, if you need to keep a stick to use to avoid downtime, simply send back the defective stick only. You cover shipping to us, we cover shipping back to you.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH
                        Thank you.

Unfortunately it costs me US$ 45 to send 1 stick to USA from Chile. So I think it's not a good deal for me...

Best Regards, Felipe.

Comment

... whaaattt?? Wow, that's bad. Maybe if you know someone coming to the States or some where with cheaper shipping, you can ask them to do you a favor.. =/

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

fedela, is that $45 shipping via your regular mail service or is that like a parcel/fedx/ups type of thing?

that's crazy that it costs that much to ship such a small and light part...................
                            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                            Intel i7 950
                            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                            Corsair TX950W

Comment

The US$ 45 is with a courier service (Chilexpress). The same shipping in the opposite direction (Miami to Chile) costs about US$10.

Haven't had time to see how much does it cost in the standard mail service.

Unfortunately don't have friends traveling to USA soon.

Best Regards, Felipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X