Did my memory kill my motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my memory kill my motherboard?

My problem started with my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard failing to to post one morning. The PSU and video card checked OK. Replaced the Intel C2Q Q9550 CPU with a known good Intel C2D E6750 CPU. The F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ memory is fairly new and had been working well with Win 7 Home Premium so I didn't check it, I just ordered a new Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard.

When I set up the new motherboard with the 4GB of memory installed on boot up I got a continuous beep beep beep. I removed one stick of memory with no change, I then installed the other 2GB module alone and got a boot up.

Now, I thought I would try the non-working stick in a different computer, I have a Asus P5B-VM with an Intel E6300 CPU, Win 7 and 4GB of memory. I removed the 4 GB of memory and installed the 2GB stick of F2-6400 all by itself in the slot nearest the CPU. No boot no beeps. OK, I guess it is bad, however, when I reinstalled my original memory, my computer no longer boots, no beeps either. It lights up, but no one is home.

An afterthought, I reset the CMOS on my Asus P5B-VM motherboard and it now works. I had removed the battery on the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R board and reset the CMOS to no avail.

Possibly, or it already had problems. The new motherboard should be much better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X