Clear All

• Memory Errors, 8500CL5D-4GBPk

EDITED:

MSI 790XT-G45
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    Phenom II X4 925 2.8ghz
    Windows 7 x64
    Latest Bios

I've been trying to get this ram to run at its specified 1066mhz, which is supported by the motherboard and also the processor.
    I've set the timings to 5-5-5-15-24-2T
    Dram 2.1v
    Unganged (single channel)
    No NB or HT voltage added.
    1066 says memory testing error when I tested these sticks separately at 5-5-5-15-24-2T. I have attempted loosening the timings and RFC0,1,2,3 to 195ns, and use TRC to 32 or even 42, and neither memory stick would even come close to being stable at those settings.

Running both of these in DDR2 800mhz Dual Channel at 5-4-4-12-24-2T shows no sign of errors, and runs smoothly for hours of gaming. So there must be something i'm doing incorrectly.

I just read on anther posting that I should try a different memory slot further away from the CPU, so will try that with the "suspect" stick of ram tonight. If anyone has any suggestions, please throw them out there.

Thanks
    Last edited by FathomX; 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM.

For this CPU, it is common HT and NB Voltages need tweaking to operate DDR2-1066.

Generally the best configuration for your hardware is DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 in dual channel mode.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Bandwidth with PC6400 vs PC8500?

Thanks for the advice G.Skill Tech. I'm fine running ddr2 800mhz with these until I upgrade processor, though I am wondering if this limits the bandwidth to 6.4gb/s vs 8.5gb/s at 1066.. even though these are rated to run @ 1066?

Will you be able to help me get this ram to run at 4-4-4-12 stable?
      The lowest CAS latency i could achieve with (very minimal adjustments of any other settings) is 5-4-4-12-24-2T which I am currently running with 2x2GB sticks of G.Skill, and 2x512mb PC6400 sticks of OCZ platinum for a total of 5GB.

This OCZ ram of course maybe the cause of the system instability, but i'm not sure how to figure that out.

My attempt to bring all of this to PC6400, at 2.0v, and lower CAS latency to 4 was unstable. Computer would not post.So I changed the CAS to 5-4-4-12-24 and it runs stable. Though I am unsure if this would be the best settings.

Comment

Bandwidth may take a tiny hit, but the lower latency and less stress on the memory controller easily makes up for that.

5-4-4-12-24-2T may be your best if you are using the OCZ sticks too. They may be limiting you if you have issues with CL4. The G.Skill modules you have should have no problems with 4-4-4-12 2.0V.

In case the memory controller is stressing out, try increasing it slightly then run 4-4-4-12 again to see if it is stable.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

F2-8500cl5d-4gbpk

I have gotten this ram combo to run at 4-4-4-12-24T @ 2.0v. Ganged. Thanks for the help! Also, the
          DDR1066 was also working, but running it at 800mhz is much smoother.

Just had to push the voltage up a notch to 2.08v for all to run smoothly. No NB or HT voltage was required, and this 5GB @ 4-4-4 latency is flying though programs like a bat out of hell. Love G.Skill. I will not buy any other RAM. Keep up the good work guys/girls.

So.. last question. WHEN I do upgrade Motherboard and RAM in the future, what would you suggest the next step up to be for DDR3 paired with a Phenom II Hexa-Core?? Based on your individual reviews, and extensive dealings with the RAM industry?

Thanks again for the tech support. Very much appreciated!
          -FathomX

Comment

Working...
          X