No announcement yet.

Suggestion for replacement/additional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for replacement/additional?

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
    CPU: Q6600 (stock HSF with no plan to update, so limited overclock potential)
    Memory: F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    Power: Corsair 550VX

One of my sticks of memory has gone bad. I used the windows memory diagnostic advanced test and one stick works but the other fails with a hardware error every time. I tested each stick individually in the same slot so I'm certain it's the ram. I plan to RMA the set but that leaves me with a problem. I can't have my computer down for that long so I have to get a replacement set while I wait, but what should I get?

I can get another identical set of memory and then when the RMA comes back I'll have 8gb instead of 4gb. Another option would be to get a 4gb set of 1066 (maybe that PI stuff) and run that at better timings and a 2:1 ratio for hopefully better performance. When the RMA comes back I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Ebay maybe? Anyways I'm not sure which would be the better choice. I sometimes use up to 3.5gb of memory but I haven't actually run out yet so I'm not sure if I'll ever use the 8gb capacity. On the other hand I hear that memory ratios and timings only provide so much benefit that is mostly a difference in benchmarks rather than real world noticeable performance.

Ideally I could buy some 1066 and pay the $10 cost difference to have them return some new matching 1066 for my RMA instead of what I send in (so that I'd have 8gb of 1066 and no extra 800) but I'm pretty sure they won't do this so I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated! Thanks.

When you say you only use 3.5 GB of your RAM, is that what shows when you look at propertise in My Computer? Sounds like you are running a 32bit version of your OS, which will only 'see' and use 3-3.5GB. To go w/ 8GB you'll need to upgrade to a 64 bit version.

If you have a 64 bit OS, I'd suggest getting another 4gb of the same (or similar/compatible), which will increase your performance.

If you have 32 and want to stay at 32, you might see if you can borrow a stick or two to keep you running....or.....if only 1 stick is bad, you can probably RMA the single bad stick and just run on 1 stick for a few days.

You have a number of options w/ the RAM. AS far as the Q6600, even with the stock H/S you should be able to OC anywhere from 2.6 to 3 GHz, your FSb should run at 1333 w/ the Q6600 w/ no problem which would put you right at 3GHz (333 FSB x 9 multi = 2.997), this should be fine regardless if you have the B3 or the G0 version.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

You don't necessarily have to purchase an extra set. We do not require you to return the entire set for RMA exchange, only the defective memory module, so you can keep the good memory stick to use while we swap your defective stick for a new one.

If you would still like to purchase a different set, I would suggest a CAS 4 set such as the PI-B. Since you don't technically need 8GB, it would be fun to test a different set that is suppose to be better. Or even a 1066 PI to get a tad bit more speed. If it is indeed an improvement, you can simply sell the older set or just keep for backup purposes.

Along with a slight OC to your processor, your computer could be running noticeably faster.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am running a 64bit OS (Windows 7 RC 7100 64bit) so I really am using 3.5gb sometimes.

If I was to buy a better set to experiment with, such as 1066mhz F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI or 800mhz F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B, would it be possible to run it at the slower speeds and timings of my RMA set to eventually use all 8gb (matching the sets in slots 1/3 and 2/4) or would the different internals cause the sets to still be incompatible or unstable for combined use? If possible than that would allow me to experiment with the faster speeds but still have the option of using 8gb of slower ram if that turned out to be more beneficial to me.

Comment

Yep, you should be able to pair them up for 8GB, so you will simply need to make adjustments in your BIOS.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
          X