Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Phenom II 830 Quadcore Processor Handle All Memory Slots Full?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Phenom II 830 Quadcore Processor Handle All Memory Slots Full?

Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be wise to attempt to upgrade my system RAM with a second "G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK" (2x2GB) memory modules pack.

My system uses an older motherboard and was originally built in 2007.

Specs:
    Mobo: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 830 2.8Ghz (OC to 3.4Ghz)
    RAM: Currenly one set (two modules) G.Skill DDR2 1066 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (RAM not OCed I set memory setting to DDR2 800 and it comes out close to 1066 with CPU OC)
    PSU: Corsair 750TX
    GPU: 2x EVGA 560Ti FPB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black x2 Raid 0

Anyways, I was wondering if I can max out my memory by buying a second kit of matching G.Skill RAM, but I am hesitant to do so because...

Previously my system was overloaded with 4x1GB of Corsair XMS2 RAM and was giving general protection fault errors which eventually led to the corruption of my OS (XP at the time.) The system had an Athlon X2 5200+ in it which I had overclocked. The system also ran perfectly with only 2 modules in it, the problems started shortly after adding 2 more, thus maxing out the memory controller.

So my questions for you are: Now that I've upgraded from the Athlon X2 to a Phenom II is the structure of the CPU and memory controller different? I head that the PII has an internal memory controller (or two of them) whereas the older Athlon X2 relied on the motherboard perhaps?

Can I load down the Phenom II system with 4 modules and max this thing out with no problems? I DO have the PII 830 OC'ed to 3.4Ghz and it is VERY stable and has given me 0 problems in more than 1-2 years of operation.

1 more further question... If I cannot max out my system because of the motherboard I understand, just hopefully there's a good reason, but I have a friend who has a newer AM3 system with a Phenom II and he wants to max his RAM from 2x2GB by adding another two modules... Only the modules he bought are 2x4GB but are otherwise identical (same manufacturer, timing, voltage, etc). So the system will have this sort of oddball 12GB of RAM instead of the usual 16GB. Would this cause any problems?

Can you load down an AM3 system with max modules (he doesn't overclock)?
    Can you mix capacity like that (but not make/timing/etc.)?

Thanks for your answers : )
    Last edited by Necromaniac; 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM.

First thing, on both systems, anytime you mix sets of DRAM it can be problematic (even of the same exact model). Thar being said, I'd guess your system can probably carry the 4 sticks in large part as they are 1066, no guarantee but I think they would probably run OK. On your friends rig going from 4 to 12 is a possible, but would like to know mobo/CPU and actual sets - think between your and his rigs, his is more likely to be troublesome.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey Tradesman thanks for the reply.

I am still cautious to try 4 memory modules in my system because if the RAM corrupts my OS install again I have way more stuff to re-install from backup and it would just be a huge headache at this point. Hopefully someone can confirm whether the CPU makes the difference in how many RAM modules you can safely run in a system (that is overclocked mind you).

We tested the 12GB of RAM oddball configuration in my friends machine for a short time and it seemed to work without problems, but we are having other issues with hot swapping hard drives and other such nonsense right now that I don't even want to elaborate on at the moment... So we went back to just a 2x2GB kit in his machine right now to keep it bare-bones as possible as we troubleshoot it.

I am ready to plunk down the money for the RAM kit for my machine but I want to be sure it won't kill my data/OS install again like the old platform combo did (AM2 CPU, 4x1GB RAM, Same Asus M2N SLI Deluxe Mobo).

Comment

I think it will with the newer CPU, the mobo you have now is rated to 800, so w/ 4 sticks would prob be looking at 800

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X