F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR help setting up 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR help setting up 1866

Hello, this is the first time I'm attempting to configure any memory clock settings and I just need someone to kinda guide me through how to correctly set everything up on my system.
    I have searched through the forums but I have not yet found a complete answer and I'm still a bit nervous, I don't want to touch anything before I understand exactly what I'm doing.

I have a Gigabyte A75-UD4H motherboard that supports the 1866 memory frequency, I'm also sure that I have the latest bios version
    I own the Gskill Sniper series F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    My cpu is AMD's APU A8-3850
    Of course the default memory clock frequency is 1600

Now as I understand it in order to get 1866 speeds I have to manually configure the latency timings to 9-10-9-28 (I know how to do this already), but also that I have to modify CPU North Bridge voltage to stabilize the memory controller? and also configure the North Bridge frequency to 2800MHz?

I'm just looking for someone to clarify this for me and maybe give me a step by step?

Take a look at our AMD CPU + GSKILL 1600 guide, the steps are basically the same, but instead of 240 for the CPU Host Frequency and 6.66 memory multiplier, you use 233 and the 8.00 max memory multiplier.

233 x 8 = ~DDR3-1864-1866

CPU-NB Frequency should be set to 12X or 2796-2800 (the option in BIOS closest to this range)

Then if slightly unstable, raise the CPU-NB Voltage a couple increments.

Seems like you have a pretty good idea of what to do.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Just wanted to drop by and let you know that it was surprisingly easy to configure everything! After I setup the speed and timings, the system became a little unstable so I had to raise the CPU-NB voltage a little bit, but to my surprise I did not need to increase the CPU Vcore at all.

The computer is running a little hotter on average but the difference is really insignificant, and everything is running very smooth.

Thanks for everything your products and your support are awesome! I will be recommending your brand to everybody I know

Comment

Usually we get one of two reponses: 1. what you just said or 2. WHAT! WHY DO I NEED TO DO THIS? IT SHOULD BE PLUG AND PLAY! I HATE GSKILL

So you can imagine how glad I am to hear #1.

It's not difficult, it just takes some patience, but sometimes people can become frustrated before they even try. But as you know, once it's up and running, it's nice and fast. From here, you can even raise voltage and try to lower timings. The memory is actually much better if you know how to use it.

CPU VCore is only necessary if you overclock the CPU Frequency, so for what you were trying to do, it's not absolutely necessary.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

?

I will not be the one to ask why this person wants to up the RAM to 1866 but I will ask will there be a notice in the performance? If so what may that improvement be? Gaming? Productivity such as video editing? I understand that faster RAM does improve things but to what extent?
          Asus M4A785T-M
          AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
          Corsair H60 Watercooler
          8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
          Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
          2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
          500GB Seagate Storage
          1.5TB Seagate Storage
          2.0TB Seagate Storage
          BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
          PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
          Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

asaho002 bought 1866 sticks, and like most people wants the sticks to run at the advertised speed, generally this is little of a problem with Intel systems, but with AMD they have to be manually configured when 1600 and faster freq sticks are used, which can be a pain to set up. while not really here, but many folks buy DRAM based on what the mobo advertising says it can run, currently in many cases with AMD mobos, they advertise 1600, 1866, 2000 and 2133 sticks, the big problem is that the majority of AMD CPUs CAN'T run sticks over 1600, so a large number of foks end up with sticks that would have to be manually set up to run at a given speed, but since the CPU can't handle the speed, they then need to either return them ofr downclock them, which also has to be done manually. As far as the difference in speed of the sticks, a lot depends on what you do, most users prob wouldn't notice the difference between 1600 and 1866, but may well notice the diff between 1600 and say 2000 or 2133, others that do things like video photo editing, work with large data sets, CAD, GIS, etc are more likely to see a difference between say 1600 and 1866. Hope that helps.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I did not notice that the kit was faster than 1600 for that I am sorry. I do see the point you made about AMD and the way they spec things without complete support. I have a post I started concerning my F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and if I get this figured out then maybe I can benefit from OC to maybe 1866 for video editing but it may not help with encoding. AM I wrong? To the OP I have seen no difference in the timing I have used (at least with my RAM) and think with the right MB it should be easily possible. Good Luck
              Asus M4A785T-M
              AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
              Corsair H60 Watercooler
              8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
              Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
              2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
              500GB Seagate Storage
              1.5TB Seagate Storage
              2.0TB Seagate Storage
              BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
              PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
              Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Will head to your new thread shortly, have some minor Admin chores to take care of (Spammers) and will be there in a sec

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X