X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58-UD3R: 4Gb on cold boot.

First time here,

I'm running an i7 build.
    When I cold boot, POST shows only 4gb out of 6gb installed (It is physically there, but not detected by the BIOS)
    When it's warmed up (e.g. I restart the computer), POST shows 6gb out of 6gb.

This all started when I built my computer, but with the hassle of living in Canada, RMA was not really an option (RMA to US = time, money, etc...)

I first tested with stock settings with XMP Profile 1, but it didn't work. Then I heard that it could be fixed by disabling XMP?

Here are my settings right now.
    ---

RAM Model number: GSkill's F312800CL9T-6GBNQ
    Recommended voltage: 1.5~1.6V
    Recommended timings: 9, 9, 9, 24
    Motherboard model: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R rev. 1.6
    BIOS revision: FI (latest before the next beta revision)

~ Bios settings ~
    CPU Mult. = 19
    Blck = 200
    Uncore mult = 13x
    Memory mult. = 6x (1200mhz, lower than specifications. For stability testing only)
    XMP = Disabled
    vDimm = 1.66V
    QPI/VTT V. = 1.250V
    CPU PLL = 1.80V
    QPI PLL = 1,20V
    CPU VCore = 1.25000V
    IOH Core = 1,10V
    ICH Core = 1,10V
    ICH I/O = 1,50V
    PCIe = 1,50V
    DRAM Ref/Data/Ctrl (All channels) = 0,830V (1,66 / 2)

~ Memory timings ~
    CAS Latency = 9 for all channels
    tRCD = 9
    tRP = 9
    tRAS = 24
    tRFC = 88
    tRRD = 7 for all channels
    RTL: 64, 65, 66 for channel A,B,C respectively...
    All other settings = [Auto]

I also tried to loosen the Heatsink (Mugen 2) for less pressure, it didn't alter the results.
    Where's my problem?
    Last edited by yann3804; 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM.

First, might want to test each stick individually w/ Memtest to see if you have a bad one, then try running w/ 2 sticks and alternate them in case a couple of them don't play well together. This has been coming up fairly often lately, some have 'solved' the problem by repeatedly pulling and reinserting the sticks, trying them in different slots, cleaning the connectors on the sticks. There hasn't been a definite pattern that I've seen, almost like the slots for the sticks are tight or dirty or something.
    Can try upping the QPI PLL to 1.2 , vCore to 1.275, also possibly lower tRFC to 64-70 or so.
    COuple of other things, if available can you borrow different sticks to see if they do same? and/or could you try w/ a different PSU?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

QPI PLL is already at 1,2V, I tried 1,325 CPU Vcore (didn't do anything), and before I changed tRFC to 88, it was 60. It happened then also.

But trying to change stick from one slot to another for a possible pattern is a good idea, I might do that tomorrow. For now I'm quite busy with my work =(
      EDIT: I don't have access to other ram sticks than mine..

Comment

I'll look for you on Sun then, I'll be in and out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Might take a look at this, did some interesting reading on the net:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7091

Tman

Comment

It does exactly this.
            When I reboot immediatly after the cold boot, it works.

Comment

Not a great fix, but after all the reading, I'm thinking it may be a fault with the X58 - not definite if in the design or not, as I said in the other post, am wondering if they made a few lots that were bad that got shipped, that just aren't initializing from an immediate cold boot (sort of like a car I had back in the 70's.

Tman

Comment

Is there a possible fix then?

EDIT: I heard about the IMC, how is this problem related to it?

Comment

I just got back in, had to run to a job site, am going to be looking into this more later this afternoon (hopefully) but definitely this evening...what's really odd is it happens all over w/ different brands of both mobos and sticks

Tman

Comment

Did you try adjusting QPI/VTT Voltage (IMC)? If this is too high or too low, it can cause this problem.

Also, clean gold memory pin contacts in case it is causing a detection problem.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, for the QPI/Vtt voltage it was set on 1.25V, so I upped it to 1.35V yesterday (testing purpose only) to see if it would still detect 4gb...

Comment

If you continue to have a problem, feel free to RMA them to see if a new kit works better.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

It's kind of a tough job to give an update because it only happens in the morning, but I can assure that I've been playing around my settings for one whole year.

Comment

How much would it cost to RMA to GSkill from Canada? What is the procedure?

Comment

May get a faster response through e-mail rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X