Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

I've got a new GA-X58A-UD7 MB, and i've got a total of 12 GB of RAM for it, and of course i thought when i got the RAM that it was on the list that would work with it.

Unfortunately the RAM isn't working to it's full potential, it's probably cause it's not rated for this board, and as far as i've seen i can't find anything stating how to make it work properly.

The RAM i have is 1 set of F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS and 1 set of F3-17600CL7Q-8GBPIS

I attempted to put in the value myself as 7-10-10-28 and the voltage for it to run right, at 1.65V but the only options on the motherboard are 1.64 and 1.66 there is no option for 1.65 at all, also unless i change to the extreme memory profile, it won't correctly display it as 2208 which i figure is close enough, it only has 2000 (close to that but slightly higher, can't remember exactly), and 2400, neither of which is right.

If i try to turn on the computer as XMP profile1, the computer will not post, also if i change the voltage, and input the values myself, it will not post, but if i let it sit at auto, it detects the ram as 8-8-8-20 and runs at 1083 at 1.5V

Any idea how to make the ram run closer if not at the factory settings?

Any ideas?

Comment

If you're running any processor OTHER than an Extreme series you might find it very difficult to get 12gb running at DDR3 2200 speeds.

Regardless of what values you're inputting into the BIOS or whether you're using the XMP profile, you'll need to increase your QPI/DRAM/VTT to probably 1.60v in order to run that RAM at it's specified speed.

You may also need to bump you CPU Voltage even if you aren't overclocking your CPU.

What i7 processor are you running?
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
      Corsair TX950W
      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Running an i7-950 3.06GHz LGA1366 with the 8mb cache.

I was thinking of doing an OC on the CPU, but i have 0 experience with doing OCing of any sort, so i haven't stepped into that yet.

But i've got an aftermarket CPU fan, instead of stock, so i'm not opposed to it.

Comment

Let's not even start discussing CPU overclocking yet Let's get your RAM stable first.

Load the XMP profile and then manually input a QPI/DRAM/VTT voltage of 1.60v

Save settings and reboot.
          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
          Intel i7 950
          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
          Corsair TX950W

Comment

Alrighty, gonna try that now, see what happens, worse comes to worse, i go back to default lol

Comment

Under the M.I.T. i looked at the voltages, and when i change the profile to XMP, it automatically changes the DRAM voltage to 1.65 like it's suppose to run at, the QPI, i can't change theres actually not an option that i see in there at all, it shows it at 1.175 and it doesn't allow me to change it, but i noticed another QPI option as well, and also noticed to get to 1.6V it actually shows it going from grey, to purple, and to hit 1.6 it turns red so i am thinking thats bad? and i don't see any options on there to change the VTT.

Guess i can try and take a few pictures of it, and let you see what i'm working with, see if you have an idea.

I did attempt the XMP, but got the same results, got nothing but having to use my CMOS clear button on the back to reset it, cause the computer just restarted a few times without even posting.

Comment

I hope these will help identify what i should be doing, cause there are a lot of things there, and not exactly everything cut and dry lol. I'm a home grown tech guy, i'm better at installing software/parts then the in depth technical aspects, cause i've got no schooling for it lol.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Comment

Got a little more time so i thought i'd post what i have for everything for this computer, didn't have quite so much time before, and i figure this may help a little.

EVERCOOL HPK-10025EA 100mm - CPU Fan

GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40?C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

IN WIN Maelstrom Black SECC(0.8~1.0mm) ATX Full Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL PI+Turbulence 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7Q-8GBPIS

G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7(Rev. 2.0) LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

HP 24X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model 1270i LightScribe Support

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for System Builders

Comment

Got work all day, but hoping when i get home someone who has more experience then me will have the hook up for my settings and that it'll work lol.

Comment

So anyone who's looked at this have any suggestions as to what i outta be doing with the Bios pictures i posted?

Comment

X.M.P. Profile = Enabled

Change voltages to the following values

QPI/VTT = 1.60v (disregard the fact that it's red) just set it and forget it
                          PCIE = 1.60v
                          QPI PLL = 1.20v
                          IOH Core = 1.20v
                          ICH I/O = 1.60v
                          ICH Core = 1.20v
                          DRAM Voltage = 1.66v

Performance Enhance - change from Turbo to Standard

Save settings, exit reboot and run Memtest 86+ version 1.41
                          MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                          Intel i7 950
                          GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                          Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                          Corsair TX950W

Comment

I tried the settings listed there, it got past the post, and went to start up, and it said recovering lost DRAM... and restarted, and then gave me a screen saying that it was not running the ram at the settings i had changed, and i had to change them back to auto.

I attempted both 1.595v and 1.615v for the QPI/VTT, because those are the closest 2 options to 1.6v, there is no in between option.

Basically banging my head against the wall right now thinking wtf Gygabyte.... my last rig worked great, and i haven't ever had as hard a time as this getting my ram to work right lol.

Any more ideas?

Comment

Lets see if we can get your RAM running at DDR3 2000 speeds

Clear CMOS and reload defauts

Extreme Memory Profile X.M.P. [disabled]

CPU Multiplier [18]
                              QPI Clock Control [Auto]
                              Uncore Clock Ratio [Auto]
                              Base Clock Control - BCLK [200]
                              System Memory Multiplier [10]
                              Primary Memory Timings and Command Rate;
                              7-10-10-10-28 2T

CPU vCore = 1.30v
                              QPI/VTT = 1.56v
                              PCIE = 1.60v
                              QPI PLL = 1.20v
                              IOH Core = 1.20v
                              ICH I/O = 1.60v
                              ICH Core = 1.20v
                              DRAM Voltage = 1.66v

Disable Speed Step
                              Disable Hyperthreading
                              Disable C1E
                              Disable Intel Virtualization Technology

Leave everything else on Auto/Factory Defaults

Save settings, exit, reboot and run Memtest
                              Last edited by wevsspot; 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM.
                              MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                              Intel i7 950
                              GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                              Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                              Corsair TX950W

Comment

Working...
                              X