G.Skill PI 1600 CL6 Problem on Asus P6X58D-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill PI 1600 CL6 Problem on Asus P6X58D-E

I'm having a hard time getting the memory to work on my motherboard, sometimes the Bios doesn't post, sometimes it posts, but windows fails to load, and other times I get a BSOD, sometimes the PC works fine for hours.

I've tried many settings I've seen on the internet but I can't get it to be 100% Stable. I was overclocking, but because of the problems i got rid of the overclock (CPU and settings back to default ) and I'm trying to get the memory stable, Any suggestions?, I'm desperate.

My goal is to finally overclock my system, but for now I'll settle for anything stable, I'm not sure why the pc it's so unstable (even without any overclock), I'm Considering replacing the modules for something else, but Hopefully we can get these to work.

here's the specs
    G.Skill [ P I ] F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI (2Gx3)
    Main Board intel
    System Desktop
    System Type DDR3
    M/B Chipset Intel X58
    CAS Latency 6-8-6-20-2N
    Capacity 6GB (2GB x3)
    Speed DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
    Test Voltage 1.6 Volts
    PCB
    Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
    Error Checking Non-ECC
    Type 240-pin DIMM
    Warranty Lifetime
    Andres Tinoco
    Processor: Intel Core I7-930 + Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
    Memory: G.SKILL PI (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz (Model: F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
    Hard Drives: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA-3 - W.D. 1 TB Caviar Black SATA-3 7200 RPM - W.D. My Book 3.0 - 2 TB USB 3.0
    Monitor: SyncMaster 2493HM
    Computer Case: Antec 900 Case
    Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? Did you manually configure memory settings in BIOS? Try testing one stick at a time with the proper settings to see if one may be defective.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes I have the latest bios from Asus (303)

I did both set the settings manually and used the XMS Profile. the system posts, but the OS it's not stable, can you suggest settings for me please, I'm setting the timings 6-8-6-20 2T and the voltage 1.6V, the bios sets the QPI/Dram Core Voltage automatically to 1.4, I've tested 1.35 also, what is the correct setting for QPI Voltage for there modules?

I haven't tested Each module individually, what kind of tests do you suggest I perform? memtest86?
      Andres Tinoco
      Hard Drives: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA-3 - W.D. 1 TB Caviar Black SATA-3 7200 RPM - W.D. My Book 3.0 - 2 TB USB 3.0

Comment

Required QPI/DRAM Core Voltage depends on your specific CPU, so you will need to test that yourself. Try 1.45V and see if that will stabilize.

When testing each module, simply run them at rated specifications and run memtest.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I will start testing in a little bit.

I got a Intel i7 930 CPU and an Asus P6X58D-E Mobo, how do you suggest I run the tests? using the XMS Profile, QPI 1.45 + Dram Volts @ 1.6 and everything else on auto?

what would be the manual settings for these rams? It just shows 6-8-6-20 2T and the voltage 1.6V on the Website, anything else other than the QPI that I should set for them to operate correctly?

Thanks again for the quick reply
          Andres Tinoco

Comment

XMP will set memory settings, all you need to do is find the QPI/DRAM Voltage. This motherboard should be able to run DDR3-1600 CL6 once stick at a time with QPI/DRAM Voltage AUTO. So try that first, just to make sure the memory is not defective.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

election sings

I set QPI Volts to 1.4, ram volts to 1.6 and entered all the memory timings by hand (just to be sure), also set Dram speed to 1600 Manually since the auto setting would put it at around 1033 Mhz.

Started by running 2 Passes with all 3 modules installed, it passed them with no problems, does this rule out the bad Ram theory? or should I test them one by one?

after the test i got into windows, was going to post this message and got a BSOD, after windows restarted i got this info

Problem signature:
              Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
              OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
              Locale ID: 8202

Additional information about the problem:
              BCCode: f4
              BCP1: 0000000000000003
              BCP2: FFFFFA8007F599E0
              BCP3: FFFFFA8007F59CC0
              BCP4: FFFFF800033E2540
              OS Version: 6_1_7600
              Service Pack: 0_0
              Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
              C:\Windows\Minidump\070710-9984-01.dmp
              C:\Users\Andres Tinoco\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-11668-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
              http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
              C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
              any more ideas?
              Andres Tinoco

Comment

Test them individually, when you test them all at the same time, it can easily hide some errors.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Test them individually, when you test them all at the same time, it can easily hide some errors.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  how many passes should I perform on each stick to be 100% sure they are good?

Thanks again for the help
                  Andres Tinoco

Comment

3 passes or so should be suffcient. Typically if a moduel is defective, it will throw errors fairly quickly especially when the system is dependent on it.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Just did 3 Passes on each module with no errors, also did 3 passes with all 3 modules together. No problems detected by memtest.

I guess we can assume that the memories weren't my problem in the 1st place. But i haven't experienced any BSODs since my last OS reinstall also, very strange, I'm puzzled, one minute my system was getting BSOD every minute or so, after that, I was unable to even reinstall windows on the pc, switched to another HDD (for testing), got windows installed, then tested the Crucial SSD with some benchmarks (HDTUNE) as a secondary disk and didn't detect any problems, them switched the SSD again as primary drive, reinstalled windows and now the system seems fine. the only thing I did was change the SSD disk to the other another SATA III port with a different SATA cable. maybe the HDD cable was faulty or something, I don't know.

I'm going to start testing the new SSD Crucial C300 hard drive to see what happens, at one time when the system got a BSOD I didn't see the drive recognized by the BIOS, but it was recognized a the next reboot. strange....

do you know any way to stress test or do a diagnostic on a SSD?

Thanks for your guidance and time.
                      Andres Tinoco

Comment

Yes, check the SSD section of this forum and you should download the programs people are using such as HD Tune, CrystalMark, there are quite a bit of programs out there.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X