No announcement yet.

!!!!HELP!!!!! F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI + Asus P6X58D-E Can't get it working @ 1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!!HELP!!!!! F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI + Asus P6X58D-E Can't get it working @ 1600

Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R(Rev.1.0) & Asus P6x58D-E
    CPU: i7 930 1366
    Ram: 2 x (3x2GB) Kits F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
    GPU: 1 x XFX-5700 1GB + 1 x Gigabyte 5460 1GB
    PSU: CoolerMaster GX 750W
    HDD: OS = 1 WD 500GB w/16MB Cache
    Optical: pioneer Sata DVD+-R / DL ...etc

After doing some more research and reading up on my Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 reviews on new egg, I felt as though I was having the "disappearing ram" issue that many others on that site were having, I inspected my socket pins and found none bent.

So went an bought an Asus P6x58d-E put in only the Ram, CPU, Video Card, and PSU. Connected only my USB Keyboard & USB Mouse, ran memtest on each of the 2GB sticks as I did with the Gigabyte, and everything checked out ok. I then installed all 12GB of ram, and it did not boot initially, I hit the Asus "Mem-OK" button on the MOBO, and after about 4 or 5 flashes of the led it booted up showing all 12GB as ok. went into the bios and changed to 1600 and no boot had to push mem ok again and booted ok with previous mem-ok settings. My only issue with this is that by default with using mem-ok, it's clocking the ram down to 1066. anything above that (even 1333) will post only showing 8GB of the ram or 10GB sometimes.

Checked the compatibility chart for the MOBO's and for both the Asus & Gigabyte my ram is NOT on the list. however for the Asus a variation of it is...

CPU-z:

I decided to install W7 Ultimate x64 on the asus build and in cpu z, there are slight differences on the different slots and their xmp profile timings, basically one is at 7-7-7-18-30-2T and the other is at 7-8-7-24-36-2T

not sure how much of an impact this has on compatibility between the 2x2GBx3 Gskill 1600 kits.

I even went so far as to plug in each kit individually, and here is where i saw something a little wierd. On one kit posted and booted on any setting from 1066-1333-1600-1800. but the other.. only shows 4GB out of 6GB when @ anything but 1333 for which is shows the full 6GB. I'm feeling like this kit may have a bad dimm, but all the dimms checked out individually with memtest+. I've already RMA'd this kits as the 1st one I had, had a bad dimm.

The only overclock I can actually achieve is through the in OS utility Turbo-V and that's modest @ 2.8 -> 3.2(CPU) & 1066 - 1200(Ram@ 8-8-8-20-2T)

I guess I'm wondering how much of a difference the ram will make @ 1600 vs. 1066 which it is defaulting to via the Mem-OK button.

I ran some benchmarks on the new build and the results are as follows:

3DMark06:

15239(Asus Stock w/12GB @ 1066 || CPU Score = 3525) 16402(Gigabyte Stock w/6GB @ 1600 || CPU Score = 5)

3DMark Vantage:

21948(Asus Stock w/12GB @ 1066 || CPU Score = 9) VS> 30951(Gigabyte Stock w/ 6GB @ 1600 || CPU Score = 18)

I'm totally confused on this.. I'm gonna run Unigine Heaven when I get a chance to see what the differences are there.. but.. IDK... is my CPU shot? I mean 21000 from 30000 is a huge performance hit.

The common denominators are the CPU & Ram, being that the ram is basically doing the same thing on both boards I have no idea what the culprit of this instability / in-compatability.

I've read alot (not all) of the forums on similar issues and am hoping that you guys can give me some settings to try for my current setup (both the Gigabyte & the Asus board as I still have both). This is my 1st build using GSkill, and I've heard really great things about you guys... but my experience is not so great with using the 12GB.... which is important being a Graphic / Web Designer / developer photoshop needs that extra ram, and my understanding is that it would be better to provide it at the rated speeds. The performance hit in the benchmarks is a concern as well, as I don't understand it.

I know this is alot of information all at once.. but I guess, just hop in where you can if possible, any assistance would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

-RiE-
    Last edited by BiGg RiE; 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to put in the core specs of the system!

Test each module with the rated specifications, if all test out fine, put them together, make sure memory settings are configured, then simply find the lowest stable value for QPI/DRAM Voltage and you should be good to go.

Don't use the XMP Profile, use these settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting - 21
    Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
    BCLK Frequency - 133
    DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
    UCLK Frequency - 3200MHz
    QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
    CAS Latency - 7
    tRCD - 8
    tRP - 7
    tRAS - 24
    Command Rate - 2N

CPU Voltage - 1.30V
    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.30V (always find the lowest stable value, know that 4 sticks will need slightly more than 2 sticks)
    DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50V

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi Those settings did not work, I'm still only able to get 8GB. I have since gone back to my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R seeing as how the same issue has happened on the Asus Board.

I'm feeling even more that this is a compatibility issue more than it is a timings or any BIOS settings issue. Being that this model of Ram in a 6 Stick Kit or 3 Stick Kit is not on the QVL for either board.

If you have any suggested settings for this board I'm happy to try them though.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Send them in for new replacements and the new sets should be better. This is the typw of stuff that can happen if a 12GB kit is not purchased. Even though they are same model, sometimes they will not operate together. It is not a compatibility issue, this is a very popular combination that many people use. We have this for testing and so does ASUS, there should be no problems at all.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Send them in for new replacements and the new sets should be better. This is the typw of stuff that can happen if a 12GB kit is not purchased. Even though they are same model, sometimes they will not operate together. It is not a compatibility issue, this is a very popular combination that many people use. We have this for testing and so does ASUS, there should be no problems at all.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Can you tell me any 12GB kits (3x4GB Dimm) that your guys offer and are tested & guaranteed compatible with Gigabyte x58a-Ud3r?

Also, what would be the performance difference between 1333 & 1600 on this type of kit?
          and I presume that the same issue with the kits being tested together in a 3x4GB configuration and not a 6x4GB configuration, could be an issue when adding a 2nd kit to the ones you might suggest, since they are not sold together?

Thx In advance!

Comment

Here are the 3 x 4GB kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3%20x%204GB%29

DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 will be very close. If you overclock the CPU, it will be more beneficial for DDR3-1600 as it increases memory bandwidth.

Yes, purchasing two 3 x 4GB kits can be an issue too, but many times it is successful, so it just depends.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Here are the 3 x 4GB kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3%20x%204GB%29

DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 will be very close. If you overclock the CPU, it will be more beneficial for DDR3-1600 as it increases memory bandwidth.

Yes, purchasing two 3 x 4GB kits can be an issue too, but many times it is successful, so it just depends.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Thanks for the reply, that link didn't work for me, also, couldn't I overclock a 1333 kit to 1600? And these kits are guanranteed to work with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R?

Would I beable to put these together with a kit of these? would it show 18GB I'm feeling that they won't mix, but what would happen? Would one override the other?
              Last edited by BiGg RiE; 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Try the link now.

Yes, you could overclock DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600, but it would require higher voltages or a different spec.

Yes they are guaranteed on that motherboard.

I wouldn't suggest mixing kits. They may work together, but of course not at the PI specifications since they have better timings. If it works, it will show 18GB, if not, it just won't display a screen.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Try the link now.

Yes, you could overclock DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600, but it would require higher voltages or a different spec.

Yes they are guaranteed on that motherboard.

I wouldn't suggest mixing kits. They may work together, but of course not at the PI specifications since they have better timings. If it works, it will show 18GB, if not, it just won't display a screen.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Ok so I've got and installed this and it runs and is detected fine @ 1066 & XMP @ 1600

Got it up to 1740 loaded windows, and restarted, and it went down to 8GB, so I re-adjusted the settings to 1600 and all is fine again.

So I tried to couple it with this and at 1066 18GB is detected and boots into windows and is detected in windows as well, however once xmp is enabled it goes from 18GB to 16GB.

I decided to try this because the timings on these kits are the same and I figured it might work, which it did, but not @ 1600.

1st question, can you suggest any settings that might allow these to work together and read the full 18GB @ 1600?

2nd question, if I run this on the settings where it is reading as 18GB (16 Usable) in windows & just 16GB @ POST, am I killing performance of the tri-channel kit?

3rd question, if I was to run this setup @ 1066, would I see a huge dip in performance from running the 3x4GB kit @ 1600 (Main Focus = Gaming)?

4th & Final Question, can I damage my Mobo or the ram by running these together?

I have only the 3x4GB kit in my system right now in an effort not to damage anythng.

I've read the forum on memory and overclicking here

And from what I've gotten from it, I'm certainly feeling that this is a power issue with the slots and the ram not getting enough power and the balance between the voltage and QPI/VTT being off since @ 1066 it reads the full 18GB of both kits without issue, consistantly.

Note: I have tested each dimm in both kits in one slot to see if it is detected by the mobo, I will be memtesting the new 3x4GB kit this weekend. I will most likely do 2-3 passes on each dimm, and then run the kit for 8 hours or so.

Thanks In Advance ,

RiE
                  Last edited by BiGg RiE; 07-20-2010, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Yep, QPI/VTT is probably off because one memory requires 1.50V and the other requires 1.65V. So try to find a setting that is stable.

It will still operate in triple channel mode.

If you lower frequency, you can always lower timings as well to make up for it. I doubt you will notice a difference.

You will not damage your motherboard by using these kits together.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks!

Yep, QPI/VTT is probably off because one memory requires 1.50V and the other requires 1.65V. So try to find a setting that is stable.
                      Is it best to go higher 1.65+ or lower somewhere in between the two, my understanding is that voltages higher than 1.64 can potentially damage your cpu. Also, the xmp for the 6Gb kit 3x2GB sets the voltage for this kit to 1.9 which won't post it has to be manually set to 1.5v, I'm thinking since the 3x4GB kits is in the primary ram slots it's over riding this but idk

And beyond that what decrease in timing settings would equate to making up for a 1600Mhz down to 1066Mhz change?

If you lower frequency, you can always lower timings as well to make up for it. I doubt you will notice a difference.
                      This is something I know is pretty much hit or miss and trial and error is the only way to find the best settings, however, what is a potential low timing cap on these kits 5-5-5-18 or 6-7-6-24? I have no clue what each of those numbers for the CAS should be so for the forth number should the lowest I go be 12 or 15 or 18 or something else. I just want to know what is the high and low in terms of these numbers, I'm fairly certain that I can't put in timings like 2-2-2-10 but I still have no clue what the range for each of these numbers should be. I'm thinking 2 below and 2 higher. So if the fastest timing is 7-8-7-24 the high would be 9-10-9-26 and the low would be 5-6-5-22?

Thanks for all you help I really appreciate it ! Sorry for asking such crazy questions, I just have never been this deep into ram settings and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Comment

You need to set it to 1.65V if one kit requires that. Hopefully the DDR3 regulator will get rid of the extra voltage supplied for the 1.50V kit. DDR3-1066, you can try 5-6-5-18. DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21.

The right way is to lower one at a time.

DDR3-1066, 6-6-6-18 should be no problem. Then try 5-6-6-18, 5-6-5-18, 5-5-5-18, 5-5-5-15, until lowest. The third number should be lowest. Second number is hardest to go down, so at best it may be 5-6-4-18. I have not tried this specifically, so I can not give you definite answers.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Awesome, I'll try those and see what happens. Thanks Again!

Comment

You need to set it to 1.65V if one kit requires that. Hopefully the DDR3 regulator will get rid of the extra voltage supplied for the 1.50V kit. DDR3-1066, you can try 5-6-5-18. DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21.

The right way is to lower one at a time.

DDR3-1066, 6-6-6-18 should be no problem. Then try 5-6-6-18, 5-6-5-18, 5-5-5-18, 5-5-5-15, until lowest. The third number should be lowest. Second number is hardest to go down, so at best it may be 5-6-4-18. I have not tried this specifically, so I can not give you definite answers.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Hey could you suggest some software I could use to benchmark this setup, to see the differences between the timings & speeds?

Comment

Absolutely, Everest ultimate.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X