Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1366: Missing memory only on first boot

Hey,

I'll get right to the right - the problem I'm having is that the BIOS only registers 2gb or 4gb of memory of the first boot of the day, or when I've left the computer off for a long period of time and is physically cold. After its been on for a while and warmed up, turning it off and on will show all 6gb. This occurs regardless of any timings or voltages set (of which I've tried many), even if things are left AUTO with no overclocks at all (besides changing the memory multiplier).

Code:
    Intel Core i7 920
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    G.Skill NQ 6G Kit DDR3 1600 (F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 [R587UD-1GB]
    Lian Li Lancool Dark Armor K62
    Seasonic X-Series 750 W
    LG DVD-RW
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
    Prolimatech Megahalems 
    Creative X-FI Gamer
    Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm
    I bought this a month ago and have been wrakking my brains out trying to diagnose exactly what is wrong. Over the weeks I've tried:
    • RMAing the mobo because of a bent pin
    • Reseating the CPU multiple times
    • Adjusting and remounting the heatsink
    • Reseating the RAM
    • Trying each RAM DIMM individually - the computer wouldn't boot the first time with each single stick of RAM (ie. when they're cold) but was fine after a reset
    • Using the XMP profile
    • Manually setting timings
    • Manually setting voltages (VDimm, QPI/Vtt because of the ratio, etc)

After all that I decided I couldn't do much more without spare parts so I took it down to a computer place who tested it with a different kit of ram which supposedly didn't cause a problem.

Is the next to RMA the RAM I have? Would they just sent me back the same kit that I have now because the nature of the problem is hard to replicate in different comps? (particularly the retailer who would just run memtest on the dimms which would come back fine since they appear to work perfectly aside from not registering that first time)

Thanks!
    Last edited by kalidav; 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM.

There is definitely an issue related to DDR3 memory and temperature. Alot of us are having problems with stability when booting a cold system. Can any G. Skill Tech comment on what might be causing this? I read on the Newegg reviews that "the cold boot issues are being addressed". Is G. Skill making any progress? Is the replacement memory working for people or no?
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    G. Skill 2X 2GB 1600Mhz # ends 4GBNQ
    Nvidia GTX 260
    Corsair H50 Water Cooling
    Corsair 750W PSU

Comment

I'm having the same problems with the 4g kit of this same model of RAM. Only I can't get it to read all 4g at all, cold boot or when its warm... A GSkill tech told me to try reseating the memory and the cpu, but neither has done anything for me. I'd like to know if replacement sticks have worked for anyone else??

Comment

Originally posted by colvert View Post
        I'm having the same problems with the 4g kit of this same model of RAM. Only I can't get it to read all 4g at all, cold boot or when its warm... A GSkill tech told me to try reseating the memory and the cpu, but neither has done anything for me. I'd like to know if replacement sticks have worked for anyone else??
        You should probably make your own thread since the issue is different (this problem is VERY common with the i7s but unfortunately there's no single common cause). Did you check for bent pins when you pulled up the CPU?

Comment

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5136

Yes, replacements will generally fix the problem. We have already done some revisions that will hopefully solve problems.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I received a new kit of memory from the retailer today. I mentioned the different revisions and they said that they returned it to their distributor rather than GSkill (since it'd take 2 weeks vs 2 months) so I'm not sure if I got a revised kit back or not. Can you tell by the serial number or barcode on the box what revision it is?

I'm still missing some memory on some boots either way.

Comment

What are the first 4 numbers of the serial number? Chances are your distributor/retailer may still have the same batch, so they will need to get new replacements from us as well.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Top barcode: 4835
                Bottom barcode: 7111

As you can see I did experience a couple of boots with only 4gb memory detected but it's been good since then which is strange. I'm continuing to check every boot.

Comment

Should begin in 10xx, 1009 1013 1017 1020.. etc..

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X