• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4gb of 6gb RAM detected on cold boot.

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
    Memory: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz

Recently I built a new computer, but I have been running into a problem with the RAM in which during a cold boot only 4gb of RAM is detected. I have tried the XMP profile, which matches perfectly to the sticker on the RAM itself, but I am unsure about any other settings. (9-9-9-24-2N).

If I restart the computer immediately after, it detects all 6gb of the RAM. I've run CPU-Z and it always detects 6gb of RAM despite the BIOS and Windows saying otherwise.

Although the system is very stable despite this issue, I would still like it to detect all 6gb of RAM on a cold boot.

If I could get some help with this it would be much appreciated.

If anything, getting some settings for the RAM would also help, as I'm unsure what they should be.

Comment

I have the same set up except motherboard is P6T. They want me to RMA one of the memory modules. On cold re-start, bios only sees 4 GB and it was the third module not detected in C1. IF I move this module (swap) to A1, A1 is not recognized.
      Have you switched any of your modules to see if a problem moves to another DIMM slot?

Comment

I've switched them, and they randomly become detected. (Occasionally 4gb or 6gb, never less)
        I'll try each and every individual stick to see if that is the issue.

Comment

Set Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP Profile. Set QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1.30V and see how that goes.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Shortly after I read this message, I got a BSOD stating MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. So much for stability.
            I already had it set to X.M.P., but didn't seem to have the correct target RAM settings(Stated 1066Mhz) so I had changed the settings from the ram to DDR3-1600Mhz
            I also changed the Timing Infos just incase.

1st Info
            DRAM CAS# Latency: 9
            DRAM RAS# to CAS# Latency: 9
            DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 9
            DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 9
            2nd Info
            DRAM Timing Mode: 2N

Comment

Any luck?
              I validated that one module was having problems by installing only one memory module at a time. The module I suspected, installed by itself, would not boot up my PC from a cold start. A couple hours later, I replaced the bad memory module with one of the other two and my PC booted up. I'll will check the third one in the morning and I expect it to work, so I will submit for an RMA for the one defective memory module.
              Good luck in your troubleshooting.

Comment

You're not alone on this problem. I've been having the EXACT same issue as you. Been working for nearly a month now and so far I haven't gotten any answers at all here. I've even gone to the motherboard manufacturers.

My system is not only NOT detecting the RAM, but it is only running it in Dual-Channel mode... But I bought this RAM because of its TRIPLE channel features. At least you seem to be getting it to run well on what it can see.

Comment

Sorry you haven't been able to resolve your problem. I am returning the one bad memory module. The other 2 installed by themselves individually successfully booted up my PC and the third one failed.
                  I think you need to replace your motherboard while its under warranty. I have been lucky with ASUS motherboards. I have built 5 PCs with them.

Comment

I'm now not sure what's up, but I think the computer refuses to run in triple channel mode.
                    It always works with 2 sticks, no matter where it is located. It just refuses to run the third stick unless I restart at least 3 times, sometimes to no avail.
                    It just seems like it's the motherboard, but each of the slots detect fine.

Again, CPU-Z detects all 3 sticks at the same time, stating that there is 6gb each time.

Comment

You guys are describing all the same symptoms I am having. The problem is I have already replaced BOTH the motherboard AND the RAM. I hope you're successful, but I think you'll still be facing the same problem even after you replace the hardware. I tried everything you guys are going through, switching RAM chips in different spots, testing with Memory-Z, ect. The only other program that detected all 6 GB was a program called Speccy, but even then, it said the chips were running in Dual-Channel.

Comment

Das,

Send the memory in for new replacements and see if that solves the problem.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

After I get my one memory module replaced, I would like some advice from G.Skill if my setup will recognize the memory modules in auto or must settings be customized and what would the recommended settings be.

Intel Core i7-930
                          Noctua NH-U12P SE2 heatsink and fans
                          ASUS P6T
                          G.Skill 3 X 2GB-GSK F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
                          XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
                          ASUS 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM Model BC-08B1ST
                          Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Who should I RMA the RAM to? G.Skill or Newegg?
                            I kinda also lost a bit of the packaging, would that affect it much?

Not only that, but reading around seems like the i7 and P6X58D Premium combo doesn't like G.Skill RAM.
                            Last edited by Das; 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Newegg has a Memory Standard Return Policy of 30 days. So within 30 days of purchase, RMA to Newegg; after 30 days, RMA to G.Skill and they have a webpage on how to RMA a defective memory module.
                              I chose the 3 X 2GB-GSK F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ from Newegg because of price and reviews. Out of 187 reviews, 84% gave this package 5 eggs. Its interesting though that some people needed to tweak settings for the memory to be recognized and operate correctly while others just inserted them and were auto recognized correctly and they just work. They tweak settings in the ASUS P6 series are a little more complicated and the manual does not explain in detail what each setting is to tweak properly. I am hoping G.Skill will help after I get the one defective memory module replaced if I need to tweak any settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X