Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P7P55D LE + F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Hello !

As I have a little bit different mobo and memory than gpb500 in his orginal post so I decided to start another thread so maybe other users of Asus P7P55D LE can join in.

I've the same problems as original poster in this thread ( http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2479 ) . Cold boot causes memory errors in Memtest 4.0 and general system instability. I have :

Intel i5 750
    Asus P7P55 LE with 0605 bios
    2 x 2 gb G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Ocz 600w power supply
    GTX 260 (216)
    1 x sata hdd
    2x dvd drive
    Antec 300 case

Everything is running on stock setting, no overclocking.

Every morning when I boot up the computer I've general instability. When I check memory with memtest 4.0 I get 8 to 30 errors in each pass on test nr 5. The same situation as original poster! What is going on ?

I've tried every setting ranging from 1060 MHz bus to 1600 MHz and timings from 7-7-7-21 to even 10-10-10-30 and changing these parameters has little effect on errors ( while still on power ). I've also tried changing command rate from 1T to 2T , no result.

I get 4 errors in each memtest pass @ 1060 MHz 7-7-7-21 to 30-40 @ 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24. Errors always appear in second half of the ram ( from 2gb to 4 gb ).

I didn't increase my voltage from 1.5V as I don't know if it's voiding warranty ( I know that 1.65V is max for i5 )

UPDATE :

Yesterday after re seating memory in socket I was able to run memtest and dreaded test nr 5 for almost 100 passes without single error. Also full memtest scan went without single error. Then I played games for almost 5 hours without single lockup, ctd, artifact etc.

Today I boot up computer ( I've changed nothing after I finished gaming ) start memtest and I got almost 500 errors. I turned off power, re-seated just one stick and problems are gone. Memtest finished one full pass and is showing no errors ( at least for now, I'm writing this post from my laptop ).

I'm running of 1333 mhz bus and 1.5 voltage (set manually) . I followed G.Skill advice and tested both sticks in single channel ? no problems. Also G.skill support advised to set all ram parameters by hand so I did that.

From bios I have noted down settings that seems to work after re seating memory, these numbers are :

7-7-7-24-4-74-10-7-20

1N-40-41

7-7-16-8-8-8-7-6-4-7-7-4

In first row of there are 9 numbers and 10 option to choose from. The nr 10 option is called ?back to back cas delay ? and it not described in Asus's manual I have so I left it on auto.

Also I can't select DRAM Ref cycle to 74 co I choose 72 as it is closest to value of 74 ( next option selection is 82 )

In second row I can only set command rate as other options offer only ?advance? or delay not just straight numbers. So I left them on auto to

In third row I was able to set all parameters manually.

Computer is working stable now but I wonder what happens during next cold boot. I'll keep you informed. I hope that manual settings will help as it is my last idea how to fix this problem other that returning these sticks.

Regards

Ferguson
    Last edited by Ferguson; 11-14-2009, 06:00 AM.

Is the command rate at 2T? Might try the 82. Also might try the RAM voltage at 1.55, ASUS mobos aren't that great at showing true voltage values, are often a bit low.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

command rate is 1T now but changing to 2T didn't help. Only re seating helps.

for sure I will try your settings after another cold boot problem, tomorrow probably. Can I set voltage to 1.6V as 0.1 V is smallest increase in this board without risk of damaging the memory ?
      Last edited by Ferguson; 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Ferguson

Check out post 50 in the thread you mention. I had similar issues - albeit with a slightly different system (i7 860, Asus P7P55D and F3-12800CL7D-4GBRL 4x2Gb) and setting the core voltage to a constant 1.25V seems to have done the trick (touch wood....). I set all the ram values manually (7-7-7-24 1600MHz 1.65V) and also all of the voltages. Plus I disabled turbo mode, speed step etc.

Hope this helps!

Darren.

Comment

Hello !

Today morning I had 2 ( yes: two ) errors on each pass of test nr 5 in memtest after cold boot. I've tried changing different settings according to advices given by g.skill and dwalters but every change made situation the same or worse.

But I spotted something, almost every cold boot the “round trip latency” was different than previous boot ( rtl on both channels set to auto ), random values from 40-41 to 46-47. I set on channel A “normal” and on channel B “delay by 1 clock” to have at least 2 clocks difference form A to B ( the lowest auto difference was 1 so adding another 1 makes 2 ). Too bad that this board does not allow to set fixed settings.

Without reseating memory it cured the problem at least for now. Memtest ran for 3hrs and test nr 5 was passed almost 20 times. I need another few cold boots and full 24h prime and memtest run to confirm that problem has been fixed.

Memory is running now on following settings :

7-7-7-24-4-72-10-7-20

1N-40-42

7-7-16-8-8-8-7-6-4-7-7-4

1.5 V , 1333 mhz bus.

Speedstep, turbo mode : on

processor on stock settings

I wonder what next morning will bring me
          Last edited by Ferguson; 11-15-2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

bad news, after night another cold boot caused the same problems, despite new settings

Comment

there is new 0911 BIOS released
              would you like to update the BIOS and try it again?
              thanks

G.S

Comment

another cold boots, another problems.

Today I've tried few cold boots and even got errors in test nr 1 and 2 on settings that were "perfect" day before. After few restarts and some messing with settings something magic happened : problems are gone. I applied "faulty" settings from two days before : no problems. That doesn't make sense...

I think that ram and mobo just can't understand each other during startup as I have random numbers at second line of parameters every cold boot (round trip latency) I think that parameter that fixes the problem is beyond user control.

I will update bios as a last hope because it's beta version and there is no easy downgrade option. If you have any other ideas please post them as I'm running out of them and patience. More cold boots to come tonight...

Comment

I upgraded my mobo to latest bios. I wasn't expecting anything to change and I was right. After the upgrade I've 2 errors per each pass of test nr 5 in memtest on 9-9-9-24, 1333mhz and 1.5 V.

I think I wasted enough time trying to fix the problem. I'm shipping back memory to shop where I bought it and I will ask for replacement or my money back.

Comment

sorry for the inconvenience
                    we hope the replacement would solve this issue
                    thanks

G.S

Comment

Hello it's me again

Recently I received replacement memory from shop where I bought it. I took a chance and swapped 1600 CL9 ripjaws for 1333 CL7 ( F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH ) . I mean time Asus released new bios for P7P55D LE with improved system stability so I updated board too.

I made few cold stars, 15 hours of memtest and prime95 testing and it looks like problems are gone. I don't know what cured the problem ( bios update or new memory ) but I enjoy computer working as it should work from beginning.

To make waiting for new ripjaws easier I bought cheap ddr3 memory made in Poland based on Qimonda chips. It worked very good but new ripjaws have better performance thanks to tighter timings.

ps. I run ripjaws @ stock settings 7-7-7-21-2N , 1.5V.
                      Last edited by Ferguson; 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Hey Ferguson,

What BIOS ver did you update to?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ferguson View Post
                          Hello it's me again

Recently I received replacement memory from shop where I bought it. I took a chance and swapped 1600 CL9 ripjaws for 1333 CL7 ( F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH ) . I mean time Asus released new bios for P7P55D LE with improved system stability so I updated board too.

I made few cold stars, 15 hours of memtest and prime95 testing and it looks like problems are gone. I don't know what cured the problem ( bios update or new memory ) but I enjoy computer working as it should work from beginning.

To make waiting for new ripjaws easier I bought cheap ddr3 memory made in Poland based on Qimonda chips. It worked very good but new ripjaws have better performance thanks to tighter timings.

ps. I run ripjaws @ stock settings 7-7-7-21-2N , 1.5V.
                          we're glad to hear that
                          thanks

G.S

Comment

I upgraded bios to 1002.

Comment

Working...
                            X