Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P7P55D + Ripjaw DDR3-2000 (F3-16000CL9D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P7P55D + Ripjaw DDR3-2000 (F3-16000CL9D)

Model of the motherboard: Asus P7P55D Deluxe
    Model of the memory: Ripjaws F3-16000CL9D 2GB x 4
    Model of the CPU: Intel i5 750
    Power Supply: Corsair HX 750w

Problem: Memtest intermittently shows errors

The scenario is always the same, but difficult to reproduce on demand. It goes like this.

- Memory errors first discovered a couple days after system build (two weeks ago). I figured I missed the errors in memtest upon build completion, but it did in fact run error-free (only one pass).

- A day or two later, I started getting the usual weird stuff in Windows 7 that looked like hardware problems...and running memtest again, brought up about 100 errors (out of 8GB)...single bit errors. Incidentally, the errors only occur in "Test 5". Tried voltage, timing, o/c reduction and NOTHING would change those same 100 errors.

- Finally, I tested each pair separately and tests for EACH pair completed without error. Then I tested all four together and that ALSO completed without error. So I figured a seating issue of some sort. NOTE: As discovered and noted in a new post below, reseating is NOT needed, just cycling power off/on eliminates errors until next COLD start.

- Next day (with computer off overnight), errors were back. Reseated the memory...errors gone. Ran computer all day plus memtest for 8 hours overnight...no errors.

- Next day after having the computer off...errors return. The situation "seems" to be that when the memory/system cools down, something happens.

- I figured it was a bad motherboard socket and exchanged it. Swapped the board yesterday, ran memtest, no errors. This morning, 21 errors in "Test 5". The failing address was 001a59169d8 (6745.3MB). I didn't log the failing addresses earlier as I figured I'd be able to resolve it. Asus recommended RMA'ing the memory prior to me exchanging the board. Side-note: The new board is throwing fewer errors than the previous board (20s vs 70s).

CPU Mult: 19x
    BCLK: 185
    CPU Speed: 3.5GHz
    Mem Speed: 1850MHz (tested down to 1600)
    MemV: 1.6 (tested with 1.6 to 1.7)
    Timings: 9-9-9-24 (and 27) all else on auto
    All other voltages on auto

I'm making an assumption that the failing address above is in the 2nd pair of dimms, so I'm using that pair only right now (4GB), tomorrow I will retest and hopefully get the errors (can someone confirm 2nd pair with that address?). Or...Maybe it's worth an RMA now? I think this is certainly a memory problem. Is there a better way to diagnose the failing pair aside from what I have proposed? I thought I might reduce the cpu multiplier and bump the BCLK to get the memory to run at spec and possibly throw errors.

At least we know it's not the MB and not the CPU...because reseating the memory should not cause the CPU to intermittently fail...right? Plus, only 21 errors?

Is there anything else I might try? Thanks!
    Last edited by gpb500; 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM. Reason: New information

Might be the tRFC is to low, where's yours at, will prob want 195ish (if in nano-seconds) or about 88 in clicks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

With the two sticks I have installed, CPU-Z reports 103 clocks...it's set to "auto" since I didn't manually set it. Keep in mind I'm underclocking the memory at the moment...but have not tightened the timings.

Comment

With two sticks you'll probably want about 68 - thought you got 4 sticks (with 4 about at 88), up top you gave the model 'x 4'

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah I have four sticks, but as I described above, I'm using only the one pair that I think will be in error next time I boot. I'm sorta convinced I have one bad stick but haven't been able to isolate it. It only occurs when I cold boot...so will test tomorrow morning. I mean, this thing is stable AS LONG AS i reseat the memory...it seems to be good for a day until the next cold boot. I've not seen anything like it, and this is the first time I've had problems with a build in years. Changing any timings implies to me that the memory is running too fast, yet I'm underclocking it at 1850 (rated 2000)...isn't this true? Thanks...and sorry to confuse. Too much information is never enough...I just need to communicate it better.

Comment

UPDATE: OK...this morning I ran the test again with the two sticks I "think" are bad....and I got 77 errors, but different bit patterns (I was hoping for consistency from yesterday). Also last night I thought of one variable I hadn't yet considered. When I reseat the memory, I'm cycling the power off/on...and that's something different from just rebooting. This morning without reseating the memory, I turned the computer off for a few seconds and back on and THE ERRORS WERE GONE. So I'm now completely baffled. I swapped the other two sticks in and will test those tomorrow morning.

So why would recycling the power affect memtest errors? The MB has been replaced. My power supply is only a couple months old, a Corsair 750 HX. So going from "cold state"/on/off/on allows memtest to run error free? What am I missing?

Here are my timings as reported by CPU-Z:

Comment

Give it a try with Command Rate at 2T, it's showing as 1T above

Tman

Comment

Dumb question...which setting is that? Is it the DRAM timing mode? I've looked before but never saw it. Here's a link to someone else's photo of the BIOS memory options (NOTE: these are not my settings):

Comment

Yep DRAM Timing mode, they have yours with the n instead of the T, so it'll be 2N

Tman

Comment

Leave DRAM REF Cycle Time and Write Recovery Time on AUTO.

Fixed Voltage should not be 1.40V, simply leave on AUTO.
                    IMC Voltage does not need to be high, leave on AUTO.
                    PCH can be fine on AUTO as well.

DRAM Voltage and CPU PLL is correct.

Take a look at our guide for this particular motherboard, you will not need to change a lot of the settings as this motherboard can detect the necessary settings even for 8GB.

One last thing, 2 sticks should be fine at 1N, 4 sticks will need 2N, but like I said, on AUTO the motherboard should be able to pick that up on its own.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

As I stated above, those are NOT my settings. I only posted it to clarify the BIOS options and DRAM Timing Mode. I have everything on AUTO now EXCEPT the DRAM Voltage which is at 1.6v. I can't really test ANYTHING until a cold boot tomorrow morning and see if I have errors on this second pair.

But why would they throw errors on a cold boot, and upon a 5 second power off/on...be fine? Has anyone EVER seen that before? It's a new one on me. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry about that, missed the note. Do you get any other types of errors when running the system on a cold boot? Any errors particularly when operating in Windows and such?

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

>> Do you get any other types of errors when running the system on a cold boot? <<

Yes...if you are asking if I get errors in MEMTEST do I also get problems in the OS? Yes. When I thought I was past this problem initially, I was getting hung in the OS, then running MEMTEST and seeing errors, then reseating memory (and doing the power off/on thing of course) back to a stable situation...until the next day. One night I left the computer on running MEMTEST for 8 hours and not one error...ran all that day...no problems. Next morning...errors are back until I cycled the power. Damn bizarre, I tell ya.

The errors I'm seeing in MEMTEST are consistent with OS hangs (various service crashs, browser crash, sluggishness, etc). Today after recycling the power, I've been stable including one run of Prime95 all day. No CPU heat issues, no voltage issues, nothing. And like I said, I've already swapped the motherboard. Running a large case with plenty of air ventilation. CPU never gets above 65C during stress tests (Noctua 12P SE2 cooler).

Comment

UPDATE: I ran MEMTEST this morning from a cold boot on the 2nd pair of the 8GB and no errors! And this was also with the clock dialed up to 1960 (from 1850). Is this conclusive evidence? Or are there any additional tests I need to run?

BTW...how long is the RMA process and can the memory be cross-shipped? I just want to get this build done and declare success. Im' not sure if I can still RMA via NewEgg...it's been a few weeks...I'd have to check. Thanks!

Comment

I am having the same problem as the OP but with the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH ram on the P7P55D. My computer may run stable for a day, but after shutdown and a cold boot the next day, I get IRQL blue screen. I run memtest to find 50+ memory errors. I have also replaced the motherboard and the memory problems persist after cold boot.

My system is:
                              Intel i5 750
                              Asus P7P55D
                              G.skill 4gb kit F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH DDR3-1600
                              XFX 4870 1gb
                              Caviar Black 1TB
                              Samsung DVD Burner

I am running the following specs on my ram:
                              AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
                              CPU Ratio Setting - 18.0 for 2.80GHz
                              BCLK Frequency - 160
                              DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600MHz