GA-970A-D3 and G.Skill 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-970A-D3 and G.Skill 1866

I am a noob at overclocking and I have attempted to follow the instructions featured in the forums to no avail. I was hoping/wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot through this process.

Spec:
    AMD FX-4100 no OC (~3.6)
    mobo:Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, rev. 1.1, version F11
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2x8GB) 1866 model -- (F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL), but running at 1333.
    AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB (ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2)
    650W PSU

I'd like to get the RAM running to its 1866 speed or at a minimum to 1600. I tried following these instructions linked and scouring through posts on the forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11742

Each time I try to start it stops me for an unable to boot.

Thanks for any help in advance, and sorry if I didn't post this in right spot.
    Last edited by General Mars; 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM.

When experiencing issues, always check and update to the latest BIOS.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I successfully updated the Bios to the most recent available (F11), and went through the requisite after steps to ensure stability.

Then after the couple reboots, I went into the Bios and attempted to set the RAM. I enabled the EOCP, and choose the profile 1866, which is what my RAM is rated for. I then increased the CPU-NB Volt +0.10V but still received this error:

The system has experienced boot failures due to overclocking.
      Current CPU Speed: 18x200MHz
      Current Memory Speed: 1333MHz
      Current HT Speed: 2000MHz

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, so if you could continue bearing with me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for help!

Comment

May want to try raising your DRAM voltage + 0.05. Also what is your CPU-NB at? It may be the BIOS isn't setting things up correctly or also that the 4100 just can't carry 1866 sticks (which many can't), might try with EOCP at 1600 or setting up manually for 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alrighty. Exactly what are your voltage settings for DRAM, CPU-NB, and chipset northbridge?

Place all timings in manual. List them here exactly as you have tried them.

We will get this to work, or set something on fire.
          AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Thank you for replying, and replying quickly.

My Gigabyte Mobo states that it supports RAM at a minimum up to 2000MHz so I have confidence that as you lead me we will have success.

This is the normal/auto values (where available), which do you recommend I increase and by how much?

CPU Clock Ratio: 3600MHz
            CPU NB Frequency: 2000MHz
            Core Performance Boost>CPB Ratio: 3800MHz
            CPU Host Clock Control: Auto
            CPU Frequency: 200MHz
            PCIe Clock: Auto
            HT Link Width: Auto
            HT Link Frequency: Auto
            Auto DRAM Memory Frequency: x6.66=1333MHz
            CPU PLL Voltage Control: 2.535V
            DRAM Voltage Control: 1.510
            DDR VTT Voltage Control: 0.750V
            NB Voltage Control: 1.105V
            HT Link Voltage Control: 1.210V
            NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: 1.810V
            CPU NB VID Control: --
            CPU Voltage Control: --
            Normal CPU Vcore: 1.3750V

When E.O.C.P. is enabled: System Voltage Not Optimized!!! Then message above.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by General Mars View Post
              Thank you for replying, and replying quickly.

My Gigabyte Mobo states that it supports RAM at a minimum up to 2000MHz so I have confidence that as you lead me we will have success.

This is the normal/auto values (where available), which do you recommend I increase and by how much?

CPU Clock Ratio: 3600MHz 3600
              CPU NB Frequency: 2000MHz 2000
              Core Performance Boost>CPB Ratio: 3800MHz 3800
              CPU Host Clock Control: Auto manual
              CPU Frequency: 200MHz 200
              PCIe Clock: Auto 100
              HT Link Width: Auto 16
              HT Link Frequency: Auto 2600
              Auto DRAM Memory Frequency: x6.66=1333MHz x8
              CPU PLL Voltage Control: 2.535V
              DRAM Voltage Control: 1.510 1.65v
              DDR VTT Voltage Control: 0.750V
              NB Voltage Control: 1.105V 1.3v
              HT Link Voltage Control: 1.210V
              NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: 1.810V
              CPU NB VID Control: --
              CPU Voltage Control: --
              Normal CPU Vcore: 1.3750V

When E.O.C.P. is enabled: System Voltage Not Optimized!!! Then message above.

Thanks again.
              The mobo advertising ddr2000 is misleading as they don't specify details...anyways...

I'll edit some parameters to try in your quote above^^

If that doesn't work then we will also need to look at timings.

Comment

Received same error as mentioned originally

Comment

Have you tried at 1600 yet? I see where you mention that the mobo claims to support up to 2000 (and it may well do so, but keep in mind the mobo manufacturers actually 'test' the DRAM at the mobo default of 1333 or 1600, not at the true DRAM spec, see my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

), but you have to have a CPU that can carry the sticks, and while AMD originally came out claiming the FX CPU can run 1866 'native', they have long since, changed the advertising to reflect more accurately that FX CPUs can handle UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (or 2 DIMMs total and done with 4GB sticks). Unfortunately, often only the higher end FX CPUs can do this, the majority of the 4100s I've run into tend to top out at 1600. Here's a link to their Freq guide:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

So I'd try at 1600 and see if you can run there and get it stable, then try working up to 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The numbers given prior to my last post were for 1600 but I tried again regardless same problem.

Comment

Try with CPU/NB 1.2 and DRAM 1.55

Tman

Comment

Same message: "the system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking. Last settings in bios setup may not coincide with H/W states." CPU speed 18x200, memory speed 1333, HT speed 2000.

Thanks for patience and continued help.

Comment

Have a feeling it's the mobo or BIOS, but might want to try running Memtest on each stick by itself (maybe 4-5 passes) and see if the sticks test OK, if so, I think I'd try with other sticks if you have or could borrow some....this at least will identify the sticks as the culprit or not

Tman

Comment

I'll run memtest tomorrow, I've been posting on another device so I could keep computer in a state to test quickly lol.

Anyhow, I had read on here somewhere that sometimes you need to OC the CPU as well to get the Ram to work? Do you know how I should adjust to try that? I'm just concerned about blowing something on my own which is why I'm reluctant to test random numbers, again really appreciate help.

Comment

Originally posted by General Mars View Post
                              I'll run memtest tomorrow, I've been posting on another device so I could keep computer in a state to test quickly lol.

Anyhow, I had read on here somewhere that sometimes you need to OC the CPU as well to get the Ram to work? Do you know how I should adjust to try that? I'm just concerned about blowing something on my own which is why I'm reluctant to test random numbers, again really appreciate help.
                              If you want to overclock your cpu, I wouldn't worry much. AMD chips, and these FX chips in particular, can really tank abuse if you keep then cool.

I need you to list all of your timings before we move further.

Comment

Working...
                              X