F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL unstable in Asrock X79 Extreme6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL unstable in Asrock X79 Extreme6

So I've been having this problem ever since I built my computer.

When I run the memory in standard non XMP mode, my system will randomly lock up with no BSOD. This would require a hard reset.

When I run it in XMP mode it will run more stable but would now give me BSOD messages. I get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSODs.

I have been troubleshooting all my other components, all firmware is up to date and all the most recent drivers are installed. I have also run memtest and it did not detect errors.

Mostly it starts with BF3 crashing, other times firefox and chrome will crash. Then moments later I will get the BSOD.

Currently I have them running in XMP 1600mhz mode with loosened timings (10-10-10-24, 2N) to see if this will make them more stable.

What worries me is that I have seen threads where people with different motherboards are reporting the exact same issues as I am. Same random lock ups and BSOD messages.

These threads are here, here, and here.

Now I do not know if their motherboards are on the certified motherboard list, but according to the G-Skill product page my Extreme6 should be qualified. I am very worried about the quality of this product and it has given me a lot of trouble. I am hoping I can get some help resolving this issue as I really do not want to go through an RMA and don't want to have to buy a new set of ram.

My system specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asrock Z79 Extreme 6
    HDD: Crucial M4 128gb
    CPU: i7 3820
    RAM: F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL
    Video cards: Sapphire 6950 2gb Crossfire

None of these components have been overclocked, including the memory. I am just trying to run them at stock speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kmo_9000; 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM.

Can you post up your system voltages and also your DRAM advanced timings - ASRock has had problems with a number of mobos in setting their advanced/secondary timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I don't know if the AsRock UEFI has a screenshot feature, but this is how I have everything set up:

Edit: sorry for the massive pictures.

Comment

Try DRAM voltage at 1.55, VTT up to about 1.17 or so, and raise the DRAM timing tRFC to 156 and give that a whirl

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Try DRAM voltage at 1.55, VTT up to about 1.17 or so, and raise the DRAM timing tRFC to 156 and give that a whirl
          Thank you, I will try this and report back.

EDIT: Alright, I made the changes. I also manually set the timings back to 9-9-9-24. As the freezing was random I don't know how to test it other than continue normal use and see if it BSOD's. I will also try running prime95 to stress the system and see if it BSODs.
          Last edited by kmo_9000; 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Just go ahead and do what you normally do, it may be other than the DRAM but the tRFC did look low as did the VTT, the additional DRAM voltage was in case the PSU might be fluctuating.

Tman

Comment

Just go ahead and do what you normally do, it may be other than the DRAM but the tRFC did look low as did the VTT, the additional DRAM voltage was in case the PSU might be fluctuating.
              I forgot to mention my PSU, it is a Corsair TX850M. I'll report back if I keep getting problems.

Comment

We'll be here

Tman

Comment

Alright so just now the system froze with the adjusted settings. I was just using Firefox at the time. No BSOD this time. I had to do a hard reset.

Comment

Will take a closer look when I get back this PM

Tman

Comment

Did you get back that PM? I just got another lockup.

I had firefox open again, watching youtube. It could be flash related, so I turned off hardware acceleration so see if that might help. I'm still not entirely sure it's not ram related though.

Comment

Try dropping tRFC to 150, might also check your video drivers, a site called www.guru3d.com normally has the latest video drivers and betas available, along with some of the more recent older versions

Tman

Comment

I tested each stick individually with memtest86 and one of them came up with thousands and thousands of errors.

I guess I need to RMA? It's been more than a couple months so returning them to ncix is out of the question.
                          Last edited by kmo_9000; 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Think so, contact rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

Think so, contact rma@gskillusa.com
                              Thanks, I sent them an email.

How does your RMA system work? Will I have to send all four sticks in? I don't have the original packaging or proof of purchase since it was about 5 months ago.

In other thread I linked the guy said that the kit he got back was just as bad. Will the replacement be from a newer batch?

Comment

Working...
                              X