Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme6 and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Assembling a new build with the following system specifications:
    Mobo:ASRock Z77 Extreme6 (UEFI BIOS Updated to version 1.50)
    CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge)
    CPU Fan: CM Hyper 212 Plus
    RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (ASRock Approved)
    Video:EVGA GTX480
    HD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
    PSU:OCZ ZX Series 1250W
    Additional:LITE-ON 24X DVD
    Case: IN WIN Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower

On the initial boot attempt the motherboard gave me an Error Code 55, which translates into (memory not installed) and failed to go any further.
    Ok no big deal, thinking I might not have something seated properly or the unlikely case of a bad stick.
    Pull all 4 of the RAM slots reseat the DDR3_A1 slot and retry. Same outcome. Change sticks, same slot ditto.
    Tried removing all devices from the motherboard and restarting as well.

Changed the slot from A1 to B1 and it boots. I'm then able to update the BIOS (to the latest per ASRock). Complete my install of Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, load ASRock drivers and utilities.
    Booting with the single stick in B1, poses no problems what so ever. Adding an additional stick into the B2 works fine as well. Anytime I place anything into either the A1 or A2 slots instant boot failure.

The CPU-Z report matches the design specs on the RAM in the B slots.
    UEFI BIOS matches as well.

I have tried both the AUTO feature and the XMP Profile. Manually setting the voltage to 1.5v and the DRAM Freq. to DDR3-1600 even though the AUTO feature recognizes them correctly.

I contacted Newegg and requested an RMA for both the board and the RAM (though I highly doubt it is the RAM). And plan on repacking them for shipment out tomorrow. If someone has any suggestions or tips that I can try in the interim it will be greatly appreciated. Of course if I get it working I will just cancel the RMA and post the solution here and on Newegg in case someone else hits this wall as well.

Thank you for your time!
    PB

Might check the CPU install for bent/broken pins or possibly if thermal compound seeped under the CPU, in the socket

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sounds like a bad mobo, so you're on the right track.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Sounds like a bad mobo, so you're on the right track.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        Might check the CPU install for bent/broken pins or possibly if thermal compound seeped under the CPU, in the socket
        Tradesman I followed both of your suggestions; Rechecked for bent/broken pins (with magnifying glass) found none. I did that prior to seating the CPU fan on the initial set up as well. Been burned once that way before.
        The thermal compound was right up to the edge. Go figure as it was probably my best application ever. Lol.

Also received an email response from ASRock:
        "Sorry about the issue. Please turn the system off, clear the CMOS, set the XPM profile1 with 1 stick memory under BIOS/OC tweaker/DRAM timing configuration./Load XMP setting [profile1]. If still having same issue, please remove the CPU from mainboard and check the CPU socket pins on the mainboard are bent or missing. If not, replace the CPU and heatsink back and try again.

Please contact the G skill tech support for detail setting to memory?s voltage, speed and other parameters that memory need.
        "

Followed up on all of the above.
        Called ASRock and got through without any delay, directly to Tech Support.
        Talked with one of their very helpful technicians. Sounds like a bad controller on the A1 & A2 slots. Suggested the RMA route as well.

So RMA it is.

I will post a follow-up once the new board arrives.

Thank you all for the help and fast responses. One of the main reasons I went with G.SKILL. I've been "guest lurking" on your boards a bit prior to making my purchase.

Comment

Well, as you can see, no need to lurk, hop right in and ask away or share your experiences, within reason of course

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Follow up:
            RMA'd the mobo and received the replacement.
            Booted up perfectly and recognized the G.Skill RAM with the correctly specified timings.

So far so good!
            Thanks Guys!

Comment

Glad to hear it, have fun, you've got a good combo

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X