Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with DDR3 1600, 2X 16Gb kits, Asus P9X79

Hello everyone,

For the last 3 weeks, I have been troubleshooting EXTENSIVE BSODs and crashing issues with MS Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I bought all the components for this computer new 4 weeks ago, and have been having issues ever since. System specifications are as follows:

Core i7-3820
    Asus P9X79
    32Gb G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (Note: 2X 4X4 Gb kits)
    2X GTX 580 Hydrocopper 3GB video cards
    Corsair Force 120 SSD
    2X 2Tb Samsung HDDs

The BSODs are typically for various system drivers, i.e. ntoskrnl.sys, win32k.sys, etc, which, from the dump files and other online help, seem to indicate a hardware issue, since it is unlikely the Windows system files are corrupt, and the crashes are so random. Usually, when playing BF3, I am able to play for only a few minutes before a crash to desktop, or a BSOD (bugcheck errors). Sometimes this also occurs when just idling the computer or browsing the internet.

Recently, when installing Windows 7 x64, I have not been able to complete the installation, with key files missing, which will not allow the computer to boot. I get the error message 0x80070570 stating required files are missing everytime I try to install (about 8 times). The consensus is that this can also be attributed to a memory fault. The problem seems to disappear in terms of installing windows if I remove all the RAM but one stick (4Gb total). I've also had trouble installing Windows on my SSD (a new one), which would not install with all 32Gb of RAM in the board. After removing all the RAM but one stick in the D1 slot, I was able to install windows, but then began to have other problems with installing chipset drivers (system hangs, crashes, etc).

So far, I have tried:
    Reinstalling Windows
    Updating BIOS on mobo to 0906
    Updating all chipset, network, video, sound, storage, etc drivers to the latest version
    Reseated RAM
    Run memtest86+ on all sticks individually (with at least 2 sticks failing after 3-4 passes)
    Tried the SSD on different SATA ports
    XMP is not enabled, and one memory kit was installed in channel A1, B1, C1, and D1, and one memory kit in channel A2, B2, C2, D2.
    Run everything at BIOS defaults (no overclocks at all)
    Confirmed temperatures are not an issue (videocards and cpu are watercooled with no problems at all)
    Furmark run for 8 hrs (max GPU temps 42C)
    Furmark and Prime95 run simultaneously for 3 hours (max CPU temp 56C, video temp 40C)

Note that I was able to run the above two Benchmarks/Stress tests with 8Gb RAM, installed from the same kit in slots B1 and D1 as recommended by ASUS. I've also been able to run the same tests with 32 Gb RAM installed (correctly) without crashing, so as you can see it is quite random as to when the system crashes. I really am frustrated about not being able to install Windows and the constant errors that occur during the install process.

I'm really at my wits end here, and I've been building systems for 15 years, and I've never had problems this extensive that I haven't been able to solve.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

You could run Memtest on each DIMM, but the problem is probably with mixing 2 sets of DIMMs. Using 2 sets negates the use of XMP so it all has to be manual. You may want to try each individual set by itself under XMP and see if you encounter any problems. If both sets run fine then you might avoid doing Memtest, and will be faced with coming up with the manual settings, like timings and voltages to get the sets to work together. GSkill Tech and/or Tradesman should be around tomorrow or maybe another member has tried the setup you have

Comment

Great. Hopefully they can help shed some light on this. See post above... already RAM memtest on each stick individually, with mixed results--sometimes they came up good, sometimes bad. I'm not sure I really trust memtest though.

I also tested with PCCheck 6.21 (enterprise grade) and had 3/8 sticks fail.

What is confusing though is that sometimes, I can play BF3 for several hours with no issue. Then maybe a day later, I'll be writing a forum post, and then BSOD...

I'm really interested in finding out if you guys (the experts) think that the issues I'm having are attributable to bad RAM.

Also, when I get new RAM after the RMA process, what I will need to do if I get two 16Gb kits, rather than one single 8x4Gb (32Gb) kit.

Thank you!

Comment

With the two sets may want to raise the VCCSA, the System Agent voltage, a bit, add .05

Comment

Thanks ramjam. I will try that tonight. What is the default setting for tis voltage?

I'm only running 16 Gb right now, since it failed to boot with the other 16 Gb set installed by itself. Are these kinds of problems I.e. Windows failing to install, bsods, etc. Things you guys have seen when having incompatible/bad RAM?

Really baffled here since sometimes I can play/run the system for a few hours with no issues!!!!

Comment

It is possible that the system is having a problem with two separate kits. Keep us posted on the results of each kit by itself.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

First kit failed to boot in slots A1, B1, C1, D1.

Second kit is working well so far in the same slots. I'm going to play some battlefield and run Prime95 for a bit and see how it holds up

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

BF3 went well (but only was able to play for about 30 min) on just one set.

I have been running Prime96 for 3 hrs with no issues.

Probably run it overnight as well.

Comment

Edit: I'm currently in the process of RMA'ing the 2 sets of RAM I have now. I want 32 Gb total, but since the 8x4Gb kit was not listed on the ASUS QVL, I bought the 2 qty 4X4Gb sets that are listed on the QVL.

It seems though that the only way to run an 8 DIMM, 32 Gb configuration that is approved (read: guaranteed to work) is to use the 8x4Gb kit, which is NOT on the ASUS QVL.

Do you guys see a problem with this?

Comment

The best bet will always be to buy as a single set, for 32GB either an 8x4GB or a 4X8GB set, any time you mix sets it can be problematic, even 2 2x4GB sets. If they won't work together out of the packages with base timings manually loaded they can often be 'helped' to work together via DRAM and/or MC voltage adjustments. The more sticks used and the memory can complicate the process. A big problem today is especially with the newer 8GB sticks out is few mobo manufacturers have even started testing, (plus IMO they sort of dropped the ball in not really anticipating that there are many out there that would want and jump into 32 and 64GB sets...so they haven't tested much if any, and aren't sure if their BIOSs are up to it or not. This leaves many with having to try and figure it out on their own and if the BIOS isn't ready for prime time then utilizing XMP isn't going to work fully

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just finished up about 11 hours worth of Prime95 with no crashes...

Comment

That's always a good sign

Tman

Comment

Still working well after 3(?) days of gaming and general tooling around.

Still having issues with installing windows on my new SSD, but I'm going to try again after I RMA the ram for a 32 Gb set.

I'll be back for some help to get the new set running in top condition

Comment

We'll be here waiting

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X