Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual config question f3-14900cl9d-8gbsr + sabertooth p67

Hello

I just built a new computer its about a month old. Everything is working fine but some have suggested that auto memory configs in bios are not optimal. I would like to get the best performance (read rated speed) from my memory. I have a few quick questions about doing this.

My processor is intel i7 2600k
    Ram is G skill f3-14900cl9d-8gbsr. CL9-10-9-28 (Voltage: 1.5v)
    motherboard is Asus Sabertooth p67 revision 3b running latest 2103 BIOS

Question 1:

Memory frequency has been set to manual "1866"
    Everything is set to auto I noticed that Dram V is set to auto but shows 1.668 to 1.665V as the real time voltage. Isnt that way high shouldn't be around 1.5v?

question 2:

The memory specs show CL9-10-9-28 (Voltage: 1.5v). Would these get entered into the following files starting with CL9?

1)Dram CAS# Latency = AUTO
    2)DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = AUTO
    3)DRAM RAS# pre time = AUTO
    4)DRAM RAS# act time = AUTO
    5)DRAM command mode = AUTO

SO it would read:

1)Dram CAS# Latency = 9
    2)DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 10
    3)DRAM RAS# pre time = 9
    4)DRAM RAS# act time = 28
    5)DRAM command mode = AUTO

what about DRAM command mode does it stay auto??

I also plan to run a manual CPU overclock to 4.4 to 4.5 GHZ I have been running 4.1 stable for testing but has been setback to auto until I figure the memory.

Thanks

-Gun

Best bet is to make sure you have the latest BIOS, enable XMP select 1866 profile and should be good to go. that should set the Snipers correcting (including DRAM voltage...then if you really want optimal (depending on your CPU OC, say 4.4GHz or better, can generally kick these sticks up to 2133 at 10-11-10-28 1.55 2T

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Manually set voltage or it may change.

Timings are correct, except command rate will be two.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you guys!

Setting profile from say manual or auto to XMP automatically entered all the memory data into the proper fields. And the Dram voltage has changed from auto to 1.5v. Real time Dram voltage now shows 1.506v to 1.515v vs the 1.668 that it was running at. Field 4 )DRAM RAS# act time = 28 showed 27. I replaced with 28

-Tradesman will OCing the memory to the specs you have provided reduce stability or significantly reduce lifespan? What is meant by "1.55 2T" ??

Thanks again!!

Comment

Shouldn't bother lifespan at all, imagine the sticks becoming obsolete before dying. The 1.55 is an increase to DRAM voltage (perfectly safe) and 2T is the CR (Command Rate), if these setting as is are stable, might be able to drop CR to 1T or even tighten timings a little. I'm running 16GB of these at 2133 and at those timings can drop to 1T or tighten some, so w/ 8GB should be easier, but regardless the settings should get you to 2133 and then can experiment with lower voltages or tighter timings, but it's a good starting point for the combo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I did a bit of reading on the command rates. I learned some stuff today! Basically the memory controller can find the memory bank in 1 clock cycle using 1T or two clock cycles using 2T But this only accounts for the first access to the memory bank any subsequent attempts are completed without delay. Right now I am currently using 2T 5)DRAM command mode = 2

I guess the first step is to finish the CPU OC process and make sure its stable...

Thanks again for your help ill let you know how the memory OC goes in a while and if you think it could be improved any

-Gun

Comment

We'll be here

Tman

Comment

memory OC

Hello again!

My computer has been running stable without a hitch OCed to 4.5 ghz

memory is currently set to

1)Dram CAS# Latency = 9
                2)DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 10
                3)DRAM RAS# pre time = 9
                4)DRAM RAS# act time = 28
                5)DRAM command mode =2
                6) Voltage manual at 1.5v

Tradesman I wanted to try your OC suggestion of: 2133 at 10-11-10-28 1.55 2T

Is there anything I should do beforehand? Or just enter in the numbers and see how it goes?

What are symptoms of improper ram OC? will I get BSOD or will it not post and require me to clear bios using jumper?

Thanks

-Gun

Comment

If it blows up, it's wrong.....just kidding (well not really), but the OC is safe, other than what you listed, you'll also prob have to take the VCCIO up to 1.1.......If this all shows up as stable, if you like you can lower voltages on DRAM and VCCIO (say one at a time by .01 alternating between the two), maybe want to start with VCCIO first. If it locks up, may have to re-input the manual settings, as is now, so might jot them down, if it BSODs the settings will prob remain, but will have to adjust from prior position, I>E> boot but then BSOD, raise VCCIO a hair more or raise DRAM a hair more. Keep me informed on progress, A'm normally in and out all the time

Tman

Comment

I gave it a shot and it seems to be working fine.

CPUID reports ram speed at 1066 so multiply that by 2 and its 2132 so it looks like its working.

Dram voltage is set to 1.55
                    Vccio was set to auto but bios was reporting 1.066 to 1.075 as real time voltage. I set Vccio to manual and entered 1.1000v

mem frequency is set to 2133 timing is 10-11-10-28 2t

So far it ran prime blend test for 5 min no issue and 3d mark vantage no problem.

If I wanted to squeeze a little more out of it would I try 1t vs 2t next? if 1t is NOT compatible will it likely just BSOD during prime 95 or will likely not boot and require jumper to clear bios?

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Now you're cookin' ! Might get 1T, if need be take VCCIO a bit more to help out the MC handle it and let me know

Tman

Comment

I set command rate to 1t

all other settings the same ran prime and 3d mark vantage no issues.

at this point is there any timing adjustments that would actually make a noticeable difference or are we down now to the last 1 to 3% improvement margin playing around with timing controls and such?

Thanks for all your help!

-Gun

Comment

DRAM's good,,, nows the time to crank the CPU multiplier up to 4.6 or 4.7, for that will want to raise vCore to about 1.35, then check it and see how things are. Also might run MaxxMem on it as is, then can compare with the higher OC and see another increase. Next thing you know your friends and co-workers will be wanting you to build systems for them - some easy extra bucks and you get to play with other hardware too. Going to be checking out , prob for the evening, have a project need to pay some attention to for a couple hours

Tman

Comment

I decided after reading the entire 49 page long thread "official asus p67 OC guide" that I would not attempt to OC past 4.5. I have the noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler so heat is not an issue but I want to keep voltage / current down on my cpu and not have to force the power rail too hard on my mobo. This system needs to last me 5 to 6 years. My peak voltage right now on my cpu is 1.376 shown during start up and 1.328 running prime 95. It is believed that degradation of the i7 2600k chip due to increased current begins around 1.38 to 1.4v. At 1.38 it would probably be okay for a long time at 1.4 I suspect the life span will decrease noticeably (maybe it will only last 5 years rather than 10)

Right now I have LLC set to medium with + 0.015v offset I like my voltages now...However this maybe giving me a bit of head space that would also allow for 4.6Ghz. If I can get 4.6 or 4.7 without going over peak voltage of 1.38 I might consider running that.

maybe ill cautiously try 4.6 and see if the results are acceptable.

Then again quitting while you're ahead isn't the same thing as quitting.

Thanks again!

Comment

No problem and remember that these componies are VERY cautious, and don't normally inform anybody of the tolerances that are built in....I know of a number of systems that have been running for years that are beyond the recommended specs, and specs are set for running at stock, not when OCed. The Q6600 CPU was stock at 2.4 GHz and I've got one of the first ones out that has run at a minimum of 3.6 (and more often up to 4GHz going back to early 2009

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X