F3-1866C10D-16GAB help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866C10D-16GAB help

I'm fairly new to the overclock party, so I've just been using OC Genie II. I've replaced parts in older PCs before, my Dad forced me as a kid, because he didnt want to do it or waste money at a repair guy, he just sat the tower infront of me and said "have at it, you have until supper time," but I'm still a newbie, I just know the basics, stay grounded and don't force anything.

I have a AMD A6-3650 APU (2.6ghz) with Radeon HD 6530D, and MSI A75MA-G55 motherboard, with G.Skill Ares 2 x 8GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB. I replaced the 2 x 4GB I had in there, an Antec Kuhler H20 620 CPU cooler and a Coolmax ZU series 700w PSU.

The motherboard comes with something called OC Genie II, it says "with the press of a button" it will automatically overclock your PC to a safe clock. Before I changed anything it would clock at 2860MHz, I set everything to auto except the CPU, but 2.9GHz was the max I could get it without it hanging. So I bought the CPU cooler and a new PSU, thinking they would help, but it was exactly the same. I then bought the G.Skill Ares 2 x 8GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB, and just installed them a few hours ago.

The first thing I noticed is that they make a low pitch humming noise, which kind of gives me a headache, the second is that MSI Controll Center shows their speed as DDR3 1333(667MHz). I bought 1866 because that's what my motherboard shows as the highest. Plus OC Genie II still only sets the clock at 2860MHz, I'm not confident enough to try to manually overcloak now that I just spent this much on new RAM, I don't want to blow anything.

How do I set them to 1866, and will that get OC Genie II to go a bit higher? Thanks in advance.

Not real familiar w/ your mobo, does it have DOCP (DRAM Overclock Profiles) in the BIOS? If so give it a try through that and set to 1600 or 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi

you can manually adjust the frequency/timing/voltage as the following to reach the memory SPEC:

Comment

Thank You. I didn't see the timing numbers at first and tried the settings at what you have, I'm semi-color blind. It works now, thank you. Now I just need to figure out what to set the CPU OC at to make it stable at anything past 3.0ghz. OC genie II won't work with the new DRAM frequency, and it looks like 2860MHz is it's default target zone, it doesn't seem to configure anything, it just automatically goes for 2860MHz.
        Last edited by Turkeysammich; 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Ought to be able to manually set a freq, and then might have to raise the vCore a bit to maintain stability

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No matter what I do, it won't boot if I adjust the CPU frequency past 112 (2.9somethingGHz). With the DRAM set at 1866, it won't boot after any kind of OC, so it's stuck at 2.6GHz.

Comment

Might contact the mobo manufacturer and see if they have a BIOS update in the works

Tman

Comment

I left the CPU frequency to Auto, the DDRAM settings left at what GSKILL had shown me, and just set the modifier to 32, and it boot right up, so I guess It's at 3.2GHz, but CPU-z shows it fluctuating between Core Speed 798.66MHZ with a x8 multiplier, and Core Speed 2595MHz with a x32 multiplier

Edit: changed my windows power setting to high performance, but it's still just showing 2595.62MHz with a multiplier of x 32, so I guess just changing the multiplier doesn't do anything, the BIOS shows it at 3.2GHz though
                Last edited by Turkeysammich; 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Is cool and quiet enabled? It's suppose to step down the CPU multiplier unless it's needed, like Intel's Speed Step

Tman

Comment

I disabled cool and quiet, CPU-z is still showing my core speed as 2595MHz, while my BIOS and Windows says 3.2GHz.

Comment

Try running MaxxMem Preview (free) which should show what it's set to run, CPU-Z will only show what it is currently at, with any power savings, etc it will downclock some or if you have something like 3DMark (06, Vantage/11/etc) open it while CPU-Z is running, in the CPU window, you should see the Core speed spike up

Tman

Comment

Hi,

not really sure about this CPU, you may going to the overclockers: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ for more information about it.

sorry for the inconvenient!

Comment

I tried to apply these settings to my new Asus M5A97 EVO board
                          But am not having any success it just stalls, also if I try the auto settings it just defaults to the slowest setting.

I tried to use DOCP but it won't boot at all.

What I'd like to know is what the "CPU Bus Frequency" should be?
                          The default I believe is 200 (my processor is an Phenom 925 2800Mhz)

Last edited by cld9; 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

You can try raising it, believe it should be 233 for 1866 and generally requires additional DRAM, vCore and CPU/NB voltages

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X