Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10Q-32GTX on GA-Z87-UDH3 board

Hi,
    I recently purchased a set of Trident memory ( F3-2400C10Q-32GTX ) in order to use it with a Gigabyte Z87-UD3H board and a 4770k processor. This is my second build, but I am neither into overclocking nor experienced in it. I just wanted to have as much and as fast memory as possible.

Unfortunately, the past couple of weeks have turned into a nightmare. The first batch of memory ended up having a bad stick that would stop the computer from booting. The rest of the sticks weren’t troublefree; I kept getting BSOD relating to memory.
    I returned those sticks and got a new batch; since I was still getting random BSODs I decided to test them with Memtest86. Memtest86 ended up finding a bat bit which gave 10 errors on test 7 on the second out of 4 passes. After that, I tested each stick individually on my first slot. I had each stick go through 4 passes, memtest86 didn’t find anything. Last but not least, I tested the rest of the slots by alternating sticks for at least a couple of passes. Again, memtest86 found no problems.

Today, after another weekend of bsods, I did some googling on the particular sticks and this board. Apparently, they aren’t fully compatible with the new gigabyte boards, or to be accurate, while G.Skill lists the modules as compatible with my gigabyte board, gigabyte does not return the favor. Googling also revealed that there are other people using the same board and similar sticks experiencing same problems with BSODs as me.

Questions:

1. How seriously should I take the error on memtest86? Should I return the sticks?

2. It seems to me that a permanent solution will come with new firmware from Gigabyte. Is this correct?

3. Are there any settings I can adopt so as to have the modules working without BSOD?

4. Is there perhaps another Gigabyte –or even Asus- 1150 model that would accommodate those sticks?

5. What stress program would you recommend in order to test the stability of any solution I go for?

Other facts that might be relevant.

a. I discovered that I ve got a bent a pin on the USB 3.0 port of the motherboard and as a result I can’t plug the USB cable. Could it affect the system in any additional way other than the obvious?

b. Oddly enough, I have stopped being able to log into bios with my wireless keyboard, even if I was able to do so for a good weeks without a problem. Legacy support is enabled and I ve reset the bios a couple of times. Is this perhaps a sign of a failing motherboard?

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by lv7; 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM.

Can you post your DRAM timings (base and advanced) along with your system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, right now I am using my old 16gb kit. Before, when I had the 32 gb kit, as far as I knew, I used the default settings of 10-12-12-31. I basically turned xmp on, chose profile no 1 and the default frequency of 2400 Mhz and voltage of 1.65 was chosen ( I did doublecheck to make sure it's true). Other than that, I didn't overclock either, so the rest of the system voltage should be the default one as well.

Comment

Bump. For the past 4-5 days, I ve been using the 32GB set on the bios default settings that is 1333 mhz and 1.5 volt. I didn't have any BSOD.

3-4 hours ago, I changed settings back to 2400 mhz, 1.65 volt and timings of 10-12-12-31. I did not use the XMP profile which I had came to understand that it was buggy, but through he classic bios mode.

I then turned on virtualbox to which I ve assigned 23gb or ram and had winamp play a movie on the host while winamp played music on the guest. With the sound off of course as I was browsing the net. I am using this as a kind of stress test because my cooler is too weak to handle a proper Prime95 stress test.

I just experienced a BSOD which didn't even give an explanation just a code which looked like 0x000000E or something.

So what can I do?

Comment

Test one module at a time to see if each perform the same.

With XMP enabled, make sure VCCSA Voltage is set in BIOS/EFI. If not, make sure to manually do so. The system may be unstable without it due to such high frequency. Keep us posted on the result.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ok. I have to admit I did not know what VCCSA voltage was and it took me a while to understand it was called CPU agent voltage on my bios.

Initially I manually set it to where the default option was which was 0.00. I was still getting blue screens. Tried setting it to 0.10, my computer wouldn't boot.

Then after some more trials and tribulations, I noticed that the fastest spd settings on my xpm profiles were 10-13-13-32. However, the specs on G.Skill's site indicated that my default timings should be 10-12-12-31. Is that a mistake on g.skill's part or it's a deliberate decision to show on their specs the fastest cas timings one can achieve?

Anyway, I loosened up the cas timings to the ones shown on SPD and set CPU agent voltage to 0.05 and I ve managed to go the furthest without a bsod while using my video method, 10 hours or so.

I suspect that from now on, it's a matter of toying with VCCSA voltage for a bit and I ll get there.

Question. What would be the best stress test program to test the stability of the system? Prime95? 24 hours will be enough?

Comment

The specs are set into the SPD of the sticks, but it's up to the BIOS to implement and set to these timings, the BIOS isn't always programmed to do so, in which case they have to be set manually

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, I am at my wits end. One month now and I cannot get my computer to work properly. I ve tried all kind of settings for system agent voltage, even the highest at 0.400 but the computer keeps crashing like clockwork after 12-15 hours. I loosened the timings to 10-13-13-33 no dice. I ve lowered the frequency to 2133 with the same timings (10-13-13-33), still a crash after 15 hours. I only got stability after 24 hours only once I set memory to 1600 mhz.

What can I do?

Comment

Originally posted by lv7 View Post
                  Then after some more trials and tribulations, I noticed that the fastest spd settings on my xpm profiles were 10-13-13-32. However, the specs on G.Skill's site indicated that my default timings should be 10-12-12-31. Is that a mistake on g.skill's part or it's a deliberate decision to show on their specs the fastest cas timings one can achieve?
                  Can you maybe show us, what timings your mainboard sets with XMP #1 enabled in UEFI? (use the integrated screenshot function)

Where did you find these XMP timings of 10-13-13-32? If it was CPUz, then it is a known bug of this software to read inaccurate XMP timings. Gigabytes EasyTune or Aida64 should show the correct timings.
                  Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for that clarification, I was looking at CPUZ and didn't know it had that bug.

Comment

Good day! Please tell me for this memory F3-2400C10Q what CR (Command Rate) preferably 1-2 or 3 (CR1 CR2 CR3)? What do they mean and what value should I choose?

Comment

@Xorror: What plattform are you using the kit on? In most cases a Command Rate of 2T is a safe bet.
                        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

emissary42 X79

Comment

To be precise I'm interested in the physical washed CR, which means this timing.

Comment

You can test each module individually to see if they can pass the rated specifications.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X