Difference between these models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between these models?

Looking to buy memory for my Gigabyte X38-DQ6 board. I'm currently using 4GB of G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI memory with no issues on this board.

At some point I am going to upgrade to an LGA-1155 board, and want the memory I get now to be compatible. I'm looking at two sets of memory, one 9-9-9-24 and on 7-8-7-24, but I'm having trouble seeing the differences between them, other than the targeted chipset. Can someone help me out?

9-9-9-24:
    F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL: Seems like the older model; will it work with the P67 chipset?
    F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL: Designed for Sandy Bridge, but will it be compatible with my older board?

7-8-7-24:
    F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH: Designed for Sandy Bridge, but just memory
    F3-12800CL7Q-16GBTDD: Designed for older P55 chipset, but includes a fan. Is also $150+ more expensive

I believe that the compatibility list of motherboards is based on "guaranteed to work on these motherboards" vs. "we haven't tested the others to guarantee them", and there's a wide variety of boards that G.Skill will work fine on, at worst case scenario with a little fiddling in the BIOS.

So which do I choose from each category?

Thanks in advance!
    James

All those kits will work for the P67 Sandybridge. Of course the CL7 ones will perform much quicker.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks! Will the ones designed for Sandy Bridge work on my current motherboard? Also, other than the included fan, is there any difference between the F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH and the F3-12800CL7Q-16GBTDD?
      Last edited by sngbrdb; 01-14-2011, 08:23 PM. Reason: Added a question

Comment

Believe they have different ICs and the Tridents were designed w/ the P55 in mind while the RipjawsX are SB (P67) oriented

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmm, sorry, don't know what ICs are or what that means. When you say one was designed with the P55 in mind, what exactly does that mean? And if the RipjawsX are Sandy-Bridge?oriented, does that mean they won't work on the older chipset?

Thanks!
          James

Comment

The IC's are the actual memory chips, generally if sticks are, as I say, oriented, towards a certain chip set the the XMP profiles that are loaded in the SPD, internally in the sticks is programmed with a certain chip set, in this case SandyBridge in mind...they will still work with other chipsets/mobos

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay, so worst case scenario I have to set the timings manually. Thanks!

Comment

No problem, let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X